The idiom “head over heels in love” means to be deeply and completely in love with someone, experiencing intense emotions and infatuation. When someone is “head over heels in love,” they are so captivated and enamored that their feelings seem to overturn their normal state of mind, leaving them wholly absorbed in the romance.
The notion of being “head over heels” suggests that the intensity of love is so overwhelming that one’s normal mental and emotional state is overturned, leading them to act impulsively or in ways they wouldn’t otherwise.
It conveys that love can be all-consuming, completely taking over a person’s thoughts and emotions.
Also Read: Hand in Hand, Meaning, Examples, Synonyms
Usage with Examples
Today, “head over heels in love” remains a popular and expressive idiom used to describe the profound depth of affection and attraction between two individuals.
It continues to be a go-to phrase for anyone seeking to describe the euphoric feeling of being deeply and passionately in love.
Mentioned below are some examples where you can use the idiom head over heels in love:
- After meeting her, he fell head over heels in love, and his heart skipped a beat every time he saw her smile.
- Sarah couldn’t concentrate on anything else; she was head over heels in love with the charming new guy in her class.
- They were head over heels in love, and their friends couldn’t help but notice the sparkle in their eyes whenever they were together.
Synonyms and Similar Words to Head Over Heels in Love
Mentioned below are some synonyms and related words to head over heels in love:
Head Over Heels in Love Meaning Quiz
Despite their challenges, they remained head over heels in love,
- Committed to making their relationship work no matter what.
- But later started looking for flings
- Without knowing it was temporary only.
Answer: Committed to making their relationship work no matter what
This was all about the idiom head over heels in love meaning and examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.