The antonyms of “Active” are Inactive, Passive, Dormant, Sluggish or Idle. To make an impression and get well-versed in vocabulary one should know at least a few antonyms of general words like “Active.”
“Active” is a word that is regularly used in general day-to-day communication. We come across this word at least once a day. Not just this we also use its antonyms quite frequently.
Meaning of Active
“Active” is a word that is used in everyday conversation. However, to make things simpler for you we will explain the meaning of this word in short.
“Active” refers to a state of being engaged in action, movement, or physical and mental activity.
9+ Opposites of Active
Mentioned below are some words that can be used as antonyms to the word active:
Also Read: 300+ Antonyms
Usage with Examples
Given below are some examples of how the antonyms of “active” can be used in a sentence:
- Inactive – Not engaged in action or lacking activity.Example: After a long day at work, he prefers to spend his evenings in an inactive state, relaxing on the couch.
- Passive – Showing little or no resistance, often indicating a lack of initiative or action.Example: Her passive approach to the project meant that she rarely contributed any new ideas.
- Dormant – In a state of rest or inactivity, often used to describe things that are temporarily inactive.Example: The volcano had been dormant for centuries, but scientists were monitoring it closely.
- Sluggish – Lacking energy or slow to respond, typically referring to a lack of physical or mental activity.Example: The hot weather made everyone feel sluggish and less productive.
- Idle – Not in use or not engaged in any activity.Example: The factory had to lay off workers due to the idle machinery and reduced demand for products.
- Lethargic – Lacking energy, enthusiasm, or motivation.Example: After a heavy meal, he felt lethargic and struggled to stay awake during the meeting.
- Motionless – Completely still or without any movement.Example: The deer remained motionless in the forest, trying to blend in with its surroundings.
- Resting – Taking a break from physical or mental exertion.Example: After a strenuous workout, it’s essential to spend some time resting to allow the body to recover.
- Quiet – Characterized by a lack of noise or commotion, often indicating a calm and tranquil state.Example: The library was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.
- Still – Completely devoid of motion or activity.Example: The pond’s surface was so still that it perfectly reflected the surrounding trees and sky.
Antonyms of Active Quiz
Question 1: After a long day at work, she prefers to spend her evenings in an _______ state, relaxing on the couch.
A) Active B) Dormant C) Lively D) Energetic
Question 2: The factory had to lay off workers due to the _______ machinery and reduced demand for products.
A) Active B) Idle C) Vigorous D) Animated
- B) Dormant
- B) Idle
This was all about the antonym of active” meaning and examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.