The antonyms of ‘Accept’ are refuse, reject, and turn down to mention a few. According to the standard definition, ‘Accept’ refers to receiving or taking in something willingly. It can also mean to agree or approve of something.
The word ‘accept’ comes from the Latin word ‘acceptare’, which means ‘to take willingly’. The word was first used in the English language in the 14th century and has since evolved to its current meaning.
Meaning of Accept
Accept is a verb that refers to the act of agreeing to receive or take in something, either physically or mentally. It can also mean to approve of or be willing to tolerate something.
Also Read: 110+ Antonyms
9+ Opposites of Accept
Let’s take a look at the following opposites or antonyms of the Accept to expand your understanding of the word:
Usage with Examples
The word Accept is often objective and can vary depending on the context and perspective of the speaker.
Let’s take a look at the following examples to use the antonyms of Accept in a sentence:
- She rejected the job offer because it didn’t meet her salary expectations.
- He refused to accept the apology and demanded an explanation for the mistake.
- The company declined the proposal due to budget constraints.
- The manager denied the request for a day off because of staffing issues.
- The board of directors disapproved of the new marketing strategy and suggested revisions.
Also Read: Antonyms of Improve, Meaning and Examples
Antonyms of Accept Quiz
Pick the closest word that is the antonym of ‘Accept’ from the options given below:
Also Read: Antonyms of Selfish with Meaning and Example
This was all about the antonym of Accept with meaning and examples. I hope you understood the usage of the word. To read more antonym blogs, follow Leverage Edu.