Canada is a popular destination for international students due to its high-quality education, welcoming culture, and opportunities for employment after graduation. To work in Canada after completing their studies, international students must apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). However, the process of applying for a PGWP can be confusing, and there are several different ways to do so. In this article, we will discuss the four different ways that international students in Canada can apply for a PGWP.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Post Graduation Work Permit in Canada?
- 4 Different Ways International Students in Canada Can Apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit:
- DLIs Universities Offer PGWP Program
- Eligibility Criteria For PGWP In Canada
- Application Process For PGWP In Canada
What is Post Graduation Work Permit in Canada?
The Post-Graduation Work Visa (PGWP) Program enables graduates of eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to get an open job permit in order to gain significant Canadian work experience.
Benefits of PGWP in Canada
Once a candidate gets a post-graduate work permit there are lots of opportunities open for growth:
- The Ability to work full time
- Freedom to choose your workplace
- Ability to apply for Canadian immigration
- A good start to your career
- career Opportunities and Growth
Must Read: How to Get a PR in the Netherlands?
4 Different Ways International Students in Canada Can Apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit:
The most popular and recommended way to apply for a PGWP is to do so online.
- To apply online, international students must create an account on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website and submit their application electronically.
- Applying online is faster, more convenient, and allows students to track the progress of their application in real time.
Applying on Paper
International students who are not able to apply online can submit their application for a PGWP on paper. To do so,
- they must download and fill out the application form from the IRCC website and mail it to the appropriate IRCC office.
- Applying on paper is a slower process than applying online, and applicants will not be able to track their applications in real time. However, it is still a valid option for those who are unable to apply online.
Applying at a Port of Entry
International students can also apply for a PGWP when they arrive in Canada at a port of entry, such as an airport or land border.
- To apply at a port of entry, students must have all the required documents with them, including their study permit, passport, and other supporting documents.
- Applying at a port of entry is a faster process than applying online or on paper, but it is not recommended for everyone.
- Only students who meet certain criteria, such as having a job offer or working in certain industries, may be eligible to apply at a port of entry.
Applying Through a Designated Learning Institution
Finally, international students may also be able to apply for a PGWP through their designated learning institution (DLI).
- DLIs are educational institutions that have been approved by the Canadian government to host international students.
- Some DLIs have the authority to issue PGWPs directly to their graduates, which can simplify the application process for students.
- However, not all DLIs have this authority, so students should check with their institution before applying.
Must Read: Is it Easy to Get a PR in Australia?
DLIs Universities Offer PGWP Program
These are some Canadian universities that offer postgraduate work permit PGWP-eligible programs:
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- University of British Columbia
- Vancouver Community College
- University of Manitoba
- Univeristy of Winnipeg
- University of Brunswick
- McMaster University
- Northeastern University
- Queen’s University
Eligibility Criteria For PGWP In Canada
If you complete the requirements listed below after graduating, you may be qualified to apply for a PGWP from within Canada:
- A student should have completed their study program offered by DLIs Universities in Canada
- Your study program should be of Eight months long in degree, diploma, or certificate
- You are a full-time student in Canada during their entire Study Program
- Students graduated from a public post-secondary institution, such as a university, college, trade school, or CEGEP (in Quebec).
Document Required For PGWP
These are the basic document required for the Application Process for PGWP
- A Degree or Diploma
- An Official letter from your Institution
- An official Transcript or a copy of the transcript
- Photocopy of your current immigration Document
- Proof of Citizenship
- Photocopy of Passport
Application Process For PGWP In Canada
Follow our Post-Graduate Work Permit Checklist for a step-by-step guide to submitting your application.
- Gather your all essential document
- Complete the application form
- Pay the Fee
- Submit your application Online
- Wait to receive notification of the decision-making of your application
- Once you receive your work permit, you must respect the conditions of the work permit and continue to meet the eligibility requirements
Must Read: Study Abroad Post-Grad Scholarships for Indians
A: The processing time for a PGWP application varies depending on the application method and other factors. Applying online is usually the fastest option, with a processing time of approximately 6 months.
A: With a PGWP, international students can work in any job in Canada. However, they must make sure that their employer is aware of their work permit status and that they meet all the requirements for the job.
A: Yes, it is possible to extend a PGWP if the student meets certain eligibility criteria, such as having a job offer in Canada. However, students must apply for an extension before their current work permit expires.
This is all about Post Graduate work Permit, if you want to explore more courses and job opportunities, You can reach out to our experts at Study Abroad for more information or Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.
For more entertaining and informative content, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.