Have you ever been asked a question such as “Why do you want this job” during an interview? Interviews are always a stressful procedure. No matter how seasoned a professional you are, every interview has the potential to take you by surprise with something you couldn’t have possibly anticipated or wasn’t ready for. In reality, even after putting a lot of effort into their preparation, candidates occasionally find it difficult to respond to basic questions such as, “Why do you want to work here”?
This Blog Includes:
In the series of articles by Leverage Edu on interview preparation, we will cover a variety of subjects, and in this blog, we will assist you in understanding the best approaches to respond to the straightforward but difficult question of “Why do you want this job”?
Must Read: Best Way to Present Yourself in an Interview
Why Interviewers Ask Why Do You Want This Job?
‘Why do you want this job?’ may take some other forms such as “Why do you want to work here?” or “How are you a good fit for this role?” In any case, the question has a very clear purpose. The interviewer is asking about your approach and your readiness for the job. Through this question, they want to understand:
- How your objectives fit with the company’s ideals
- Have you thoroughly researched the organization?
- Are you ready for the difficulties and challenges of the role
Or, to put it another way, what contribution you will make once hired, and how valuable you’ll be to the group and to the process of an organization’s expansion?
Sample Answers for “Why Do You Want This Job”?
Knowing how to respond appropriately to challenging interview questions is crucial for job seekers since preparation for the interview is the only way to get the job of your dreams. Here are some sample answers to help you get started and be prepared with a question like ‘Why do you want this job?’.
- Sample One
In my professional life, I am certain of one thing, I want to have a respectable and stable career in my current field. My current position has helped me to go forward and realize what my long-term professional goal has been. In some ways, I’ve developed the abilities I need, and I’ve also become acclimated to the corporate manner of doing things. It is crucial that I set myself up in a way that will enable me to accomplish the goal I have set for myself. I believe that the position that is available in your company will genuinely ensure that all of my goals and needs are met in the long run. This work has the potential to help me lay a solid professional life foundation on which to later grow.
- Sample Two
I believe this company can provide me with a setting where I can utilize my abilities to their fullest potential. I can have a significant impact on my chosen profession and aid this organization’s overall growth by applying the knowledge I’ve accumulated over the years. What more could I possibly want than this? As my present organization does not provide many opportunities for freshers like me to do, despite being a beautiful place to work, I truly look forward to working in an environment where I have the flexibility to express my own views and bring out the best. And in particular, this employment fully meets all of my demands. I’ve invested a lot of time honing my talents, and I believe this is the ideal opportunity for me to use them all fully because the job description is precisely what I’ve been searching for all this time.
Must Read: Self-Introduction Sample for Job Interview
How to Prepare for This Question?
Sometimes the most simple questions are the toughest ones. In order to prepare for such interview questions, follow these below-mentioned steps:
- Focus on your posture and body language while speaking with confidence.
- The first thing you must keep in mind is that you need to do a lot of research before applying or going in for a personal interview.
- Learn about the goal and mission of the organization and consider whether these are things that would excite, inspire, or motivate you.
- Remember that having expertise in something specific may be beneficial and offer you an edge.
- Highlight your most recent accomplishments that are pertinent to the position or role you are applying for.
- Talk about what motivated you to apply for the position (Here, you must explain other factors other than the organization’s purpose, such as those pertaining to a profile, location, benefits, training, and position.)
Must Read: Communication Skills for Professionals
Mistakes to Avoid While Answering Why Do You Want This Job?
Here are a few instances of inappropriate responses to the question. These illustrations are provided to assist you in avoiding giving an answer that will definitely reduce your chances of being selected for a second interview or the job.
- You are required to explain why you are qualified for the position in order to demonstrate your worth. Simply responding, “I need a job,” comes off as rather needy and lacking in regard to the position and the organization.
- I was attracted to the money, which might harshly emphasize your reason for applying for the position. Salary and benefits are important factors to take into account while looking for a job, but addressing them so early may harm your reputation.
- Hiring managers will take notice if you indicate your plan to leave the position before you even start it.
- How you respond to this question will either help you succeed or fail in getting the job since employers want to know WHY YOU THINK YOU ARE A GOOD FIT FOR THE ROLE.
- Showing your enthusiasm for the position and conducting thorough research on the organization is essential.
- Candidates may succeed in their interview if they prepare and practice their responses to common interview questions.
Ans: The best response is, “I view this job profile as an opportunity that can contribute in exciting ways to help me prepare for a better and rewarding career.”
Ans: The candidate should emphasize their excitement for the position and the value they will bring to the firm if hired.
Ans: The best response is, “As a new employee, I want to work for your company and gain more knowledge under the guidance of your skilled team.”
Follow Leverage Edu for the best tips on how to prepare for your interview.