JAG Entry is the special entry for male and female graduates to join the Judge Advocate General Branch of the Indian Army. It is a special opportunity for the students who dreamt of serving in the Indian Army with legal powers. JAG officers can actually termed as the Army’s in-house lawyers. They are responsible for the legal advice to the commanders, handle their court matters, and other proceedings. To know more about the JAG entry in Army, you can read the full article below.
📌 Latest Update
The Indian Army is accepting online applications for Short Service Commissions from male and female law graduates.
Post: Judge Advocate General
Vacancy: Men (04) and Women (04)
What Is JAG Entry In Indian Army?
The full form of JAG is Judge Advocate General.
The Judge Advocate General’s (JAG) Department is the legal branch of the Indian Army, which is responsible for dealing with legal matters related to the military. The department plays a vital role in handling disciplinary cases, litigation, and providing legal support on various issues, including human rights and the rule of law.
Role of JAG Officer – The JAG’s Department comprises legally qualified Army officers who are well-versed in military law. They offer legal guidance and support to the military on a wide range of issues. The head of the department, the Judge Advocate General, serves as the legal and judicial chief of India and advises the Chief of the Army Staff on legal matters.
The JAG’s Department is also dealing with emerging fields of military law, such as cyber laws, space laws, terrorism and human rights violations. It ensures that the military adheres to legal principles and upholds justice in all its operations.
According to the regulations for the Indian Army, the services provided by the JAG’s Department are considered part of the Judicial service, highlighting the department’s significance in maintaining a fair and just legal system within the armed forces.
What is JAG Exam?
The Judge Advocate General Examination, or JAG Exam, is a competitive test that the Indian Army administers to select individuals for the Judge Advocate General (JAG) branch. This examination is intended for law graduates who are interested in serving as legal officers in the Indian Army.
The JAG branch’s primary responsibility is to provide legal counsel, manage military-related legal matters, and ensure that military law is enforced within the armed forces. JAG officers play a critical role in maintaining discipline, upholding military law, and safeguarding the rights and obligations of defense force personnel.
Upon being selected, candidates undergo training at the Officers Training Academy (OTA) before being commissioned as Short Service Commission (SSC) officers in the Indian Army. The initial tenure for SSC officers is usually ten years, which can be extended up to 14 years or converted into a Permanent Commission based on the officer’s performance and the organization’s requirements.
JAG 33 Notification: Application Process
To apply for the JAG Officer in the Indian Army, you should follow the given application process. The steps are easy to follow, you can spot the steps below. Please ensure that you fill in the right information, as it will be difficult for you to edit later.
- Go to the official website of the Indian Army.
- Tap on the Officer Entry Apply/Login and tap Registration.
- Fill the right information after going through the instructions.
- Once the registration is successful, tap Apply Online option.
- After that, Officers Selection – Eligibility will display.
- Now click Apply and fill the required details in the application form.
- After that, save and continue to review the summary of the information.
- Once you are done with all the details, click Submit to complete the application process.
JAG Entry Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility criteria for a JAG officer depends on fulfilling the following entry requirements. The list is given below. You can find the list below.
A candidate must either be:
- An Indian Citizen
- A Nepal Citizen
- Or, an Indian person who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, and East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia, and Vietnam with the purpose of permanently moving to India.
The age limit of a candidate should be between 21 to 27 years of age, (He should be born on or after 02 Jul 1997 but not later than 01 Jul 2003).
Attention Future JAG Officers,
To become a JAG Officer you need to fulfill the following educational qualifications. These are the general educational qualifications that are mandatory to be met by the individual who aspires to become a JAG officer.
- You should have a minimum of 55% marks in the LLB Degree examination.
- Also, the CLAT PG score of the previous year is important for all students who want to apply for the courses starting in a specific year.
- You should also be eligible for registration as an advocate at the Bar Council of India/State.
- Lastly, you should belong to a College/University recognized by the Bar Council of India.
JAG 33 Notification: Selection Procedure
Wondering how you get selected as a JAG officer? Here is your answer. Here are the four stages that you will need to fulfill to become an officer, do check out the whole process below.
- The specific HQ of MoD (Army) will shortlist the applications based on the eligibility criteria.
- The shortlisted students will be eligible for the SSB interview at Selection Centres, located in Allahabad (UP), Bhopal (MP), Bangalore (Karnataka), and Kapurthala (PB). The interview is five-day long that assess a candidate personality, intelligence, and suitability for the Indian Army.
- Students who are recommended by the SSB and are medically fit, will go through a medical examination to make sure that they meet the specific medical requirements.
- Lastly, when you are finalized and cleared all the stages successfully, you will be given a joining letter for training. The training is 49 weeks long at OTA Chennai.
JAG Officer Training and Probation
The training period at OTA, Chennai is 49 weeks. It is important to note the following details regarding the training:
(a) Candidates who meet all eligibility criteria will undergo Pre-Commission training at OTA, Chennai based on their position in the final order of merit, up to the number of available vacancies.
(b) During the training period, candidates are prohibited from getting married or living with their parents/guardians. They must complete the entire training at the Officers Training Academy before getting married. If a candidate gets married after applying for the position, they will not be eligible for training even if they pass the Services Selection Board interview and medical examination. If a candidate gets married during the training period, they will be dismissed and will have to repay all expenses incurred by the government.
(c) After successfully completing Pre-Commission training at Officers Training Academy, Chennai, all candidates will be granted a ‘Post Graduate Diploma in Defence Management and Strategic Studies’ by the University of Madras.
It is essential for candidates to be aware of these training conditions and requirements before applying for the JAG entry in the Indian Army.
Salary of JAG
Lieutenant Level 1056,100 -1,77,500 (Entry level)
Yes, you can easily become a JAG Officer in the Indian Army, you need to get minimum of 55% aggregate marks in their LLB degree.
Individuals are granted a total of 10 years of short services and can be additionally extended to 4 years, which makes it a total of 14 years.
The total number of seats depends on the vacancy in the Army.