If wishes were horses, beggars might ride is an expression suggesting that if everything was achievable just by wishing or thinking, then even the most destitute people (beggars) would have everything they desire, such as horses to ride.
This phrase points out that wishing alone is not enough to achieve what one desires; one must put enough effort to bring out the best in themselves and their results.
Also read – Living On the Edge Meaning
Usage With Examples
This phrase serves as a reminder that to achieve your goals or to turn your dreams into reality, you need to step out of your comfort zone. Instead of just wishful thinking, you must work hard with determination and make plans to achieve your goals. This term can be used in different ways and situations. Here are some uses of this phrase.
- ‘If you think wishes were horses, beggars might ride, Success comes to those who put in efforts and strike for their goals.’
- ‘I wish my crush would just notice me and fall in love with me. But, just as they say, if wishes were horses, beggars might ride.’
- ‘He wishes to become rich overnight. But he must understand that success doesn’t come overnight. If wishes were horses, beggars might ride.’
- ‘I want to score the highest marks in my class because I don’t have the will to study for long hours. I wish if wishes were horses, beggars might ride.’
If Wishes Were Horses, Beggars Might Ride Similar Words
The phrase ‘If wishes were horses, beggars might ride’ has a lot of similar terms and synonyms that can be used in different contexts. Here are some of the common synonyms for this phrase.
- Actions speak louder than wishes
- Wishing is the beginning, not the end
- Fairy tales don’t come true without efforts
- Wishing without work is empty
Also read – The Last Straw Meaning
If Wishes Were Horses, Beggars Might Ride Quiz
It’s a nice thought, but one must understand that if wishes were horses, beggars might ride. To become successful you must
- Get out of your comfort zone and work hard
- Forget about your goals
- Sit at home and just think about what you want
Ans. Get out of your comfort zone and work hard.
Also read – Penny Wise and Pound Foolish Meaning
This was all about if wishes were horses, beggars might ride meaning with examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.