The idiom “Great Scott” is an exclamation of surprise, astonishment, or disbelief. It is used to express a strong reaction to something unexpected, shocking, or impressive.
Moreover, the idiom has an old-fashioned feel to it and is often associated with exclamations made by characters in literature or old movies.
Also Read: 150 Common: Difficult Idioms with Example
Usage with Examples
Here are a few examples of great scott mentioned below for your reference:
- Great scott! I can’t believe we won the lottery!
- Great scott, the new roller coaster is just incredible.
- You got the job? Great Scott, that’s fantastic news!
- Great scott! The sunset over the ocean is absolutely breathtaking!
Synonyms and Similar Words to Great Scott
Also, here are some synonyms or similar expressions to convey surprise or astonishment mentioned below:
- Good heavens!
- My goodness!
- Good gracious!
- Holy cow!
- Oh my gosh!
Great Scott Idiom Quiz
When I opened the door, great scott, there was:
- a mountain of presents in the lobby.
- there was exactly what I was expecting.
- no one was at the door.
Answer: a mountain of presents in the lobby.
Also Read: Willy Nilly Meaning
This was all about great scott meaning and examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.