The phrase “fly on the wall” is an idiomatic expression that refers to a situation where someone is able to observe or overhear a conversation or event without being noticed or directly involved.
It often implies that the observer has access to information or insights that would not typically be available to others.
Also Read: On Cloud Nine Meaning
Usage with Examples
The term is often used figuratively to describe a desire to witness or be privy to confidential or secretive discussions or situations.
- Imagine being a fly on the wall at a celebrity party, witnessing all the conversations.
- I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the boardroom of the company.
- As a fly on the wall, I overheard a heartfelt conversation between them.
- The journalist felt like a fly on the wall, quietly listening and taking notes during the high-profile trial.
Synonyms and Similar Words to Fly on the Wall
Here are some synonyms or related words for “fly on the wall”:
Fly on the Wall Quiz
Being a fly on the wall in the artist’s studio:
- I saw the creative process behind their latest masterpiece.
- I stayed there without anyone noticing me.
- I ruined many art pieces made by him.
Answer: I saw the creative process behind their latest masterpiece.
Also Read: Idioms for IELTS
This was all about the idiom fly on the wall meaning and examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.