Abstinence means making a conscious choice to abstain from something, often with the goal of achieving a specific outcome, like improved health, adherence to religious principles, or the prevention of negative consequences. Some common antonyms of “abstinence” include words like “indulgence,” “excess,” and “gluttony.
Meaning of Abstinence
Abstinence refers to the deliberate act of refraining from indulging in certain behaviors or the consumption of particular substances, usually for a specific purpose or as a matter of self-discipline. It often involves the avoidance of something that is considered pleasurable or potentially harmful, such as abstaining from alcohol, drugs, sexual activity, or certain foods. Abstinence can have various motivations, including religious, moral, health-related, or personal reasons.
11+ Antonyms of Abstinence
The antonyms listed below describe various ways in which people may engage in the opposite behaviour of abstinence, often involving overindulgence or lack of self-control in their actions or consumption.
Usage with Examples
Here are sentence examples using abstinence antonyms:
- After months of strict dieting, she decided to allow herself some indulgence and savored a rich chocolate cake.
- The culture of gluttony and overeating has contributed to rising obesity rates in the country.
- Her excessive spending on designer clothing left her in debt.
- The rapid consumption of natural resources is causing environmental concerns worldwide.
- His insatiable appetite for knowledge led him to read books on a wide range of topics.
Abstinence Antonyms Quiz
Choose the closes antonym of abstinence from the options listed below:
- Too much
This was all about the “abstinence antonyms” with meaning and examples. Hopefully, you understood the usage of the word. To read more antonym blogs, follow Leverage Edu