The Square Meal idiom meaning is to have a large healthy meal. A filling meal that gives you the variety of nutrients your body requires to stay healthy and that also fills you up. A square dinner is a gratifying supper. Square + Meal, this notion of the square may have originated from the fact that food was once served on square plates while travelling by ship. Let’s dig deeper to know more about the idiom.
Usage with Example
Given below are a few examples of the idiom:
- All these children desire is a round square meal.
- How about if I take you out for one square meal today?
- Whether that square meal must necessarily be served through the education service is the question.
- I’ve been so busy with my work that I haven’t had a square meal in 4 days.
- They didn’t even have one square meal for four or five days.
Also Read: To be in the same boat
Square Meal Synonyms
A few synonyms of the idiom a square meal are:
- full meal
- man-sized meal
- healthy meal
- heavy meal
- sit-down meal
- hearty meal
- large meal
- substantial meal
Square Meal Quiz
He looks as though he hasn’t had a square meal
- For weeks
- With her today
- At the restaurant
Answer: For weeks
Also Read: Idioms for IELTS
This was all about the Square Meal idiom meaning and examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.