“Climb the ladder” is an idiom that represents the gradual and steady progress in one’s career or social position, achieved via obtaining higher positions or garnering more success and recognition.
This progression happens incrementally, resembling the act of ascending the steps of a ladder, with the ultimate goal of achieving a higher level or attaining a more esteemed status within a profession, organization, or society.
The phrase “climb the ladder” is many times also termed as “climbing the corporate ladder”. This term is used when someone is specifically referring to climbing a company’s employment hierarchy, wherein career progression is perceived to ascend like climbing higher rungs of a ladder.
It starts with entry-level positions at the bottom and leads to executive and upper management roles at the top.
Also Read: Strike Gold Meaning
Usage with Examples
Here are some examples of the use of “climb the ladder” idiom in sentences:
- Sarah’s years of hard work and dedication have caused her to climb the ladder from an entry-level position to a management role in her company.
- Starting as an intern, he climbed the ladder to the CEO position with exceptional skills and commitment.
- Aspiring to secure top executive positions, many young professionals envision climbing the ladder in their careers.
- Alex’s consistent success in fashion design projects is causing him to climb the ladder of success.
- The company motivates its employees to set clear goals and strive diligently to climb the ladder.
Synonyms and Similar Words to Climb the Ladder
Synonyms of “climb the ladder” idiom are:
Climb the Ladder Idiom Meaning Quiz
She kept climbing the ladder in her company because:
- She was a very hardworking employee.
- She was lazy.
- She didn’t like her job.
Correct Answer: a) She was a very hardworking employee.
Also Read: 150 Common Difficult Idioms with Examples
This was all about the “climb the ladder” idiom meaning and examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.