One of the main reasons that the UK is a popular study abroad destination for Nigerian students is the excellent scholarship system it has in place. On the other hand, pursuing higher education in the UK can be expensive, and that is why the UK Government and Universities offer a wide range of UK scholarships for Nigerian students and other international students. These financial aid packages are open for all eligible applicants wishing to pursue a study program in any interested stream. This blog is your guide to UK scholarships for Nigerian students, thus helping you find an economical way of pursuing your degree in the UK.
[powerkit_toc title=”This Blog Includes:”]
Intakes for UK Scholarships
The following are the UK Scholarships intakes:
|Main intake||Other intakes|
|September||January, February, March, July, and November|
Top Scholarships for Nigerian Students to Study in UK
If you plan well in advance, you can apply to an extensive range of the UK scholarships for the Nigerian Students Government and Universities. Here are the best scholarships for Nigerian students to study in the UK:
- British Chevening Scholarships for International Scholarships
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree Scholarship
- GREAT Scholarships
- A.S Hornby Educational Trust Scholarship
- Felix Scholarships
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships (CWIT)
- Inlaks Scholarships
- Scotland Saltire Scholarships
- Queen Mary University Scholarships
- University of Westminster Scholarships
- Vueville Future Technology Scholarship
Also Read: Scholarships for International Students To Study Abroad
British Chevening Scholarships for International Scholarships
Ranked one of the top scholarships in the UK, British Chevening Scholarships for International Scholarships to study in the UK is an international awards scheme that gives complete financial support for the one-year postgraduate programs in the country. Covering more than 12,000 courses within 150 universities, this scholarship entails an 8-12 week program that runs its courses in specified areas of innovation, journalism, science, and cybersecurity among others.
Scholarship Amount: Worth over £18,000 (NGN 8.2 Million), the scholarship amount takes care of tuition fees, living and travel expenses, and visa costs.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Annually, the applications start by August and close around November each year.
- A bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience are mandatory.
- A minimum of three courses in the UK should be applied for, and the applicant must have an offer from any of these courses.
- Chevening English Requirements must be accomplished along with the UK university’s English proficiency criteria.
- English Proficiency Test Scores
Check Out: MS in UK: Your Masters Guide
Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree Scholarship
Erasmus Mundus is an international study program, launched by the European Union to increase cooperation between the EU and the rest of the world. Erasmus Mundus provides scholarships to all those students who wish to pursue a joint master’s degree from any college affiliated with the Erasmus Mundus program. Erasmus Mundus scholarships for Nigerian students to study in the UK consists of 24 grants that are offered to third-world countries as well as EU/EEA nationals. It covers all the financial assistance, including participation, travel allowance, installation costs, and monthly allowances which makes it one of the great scholarships in the UK.
Scholarship Awards: Awardees get main costs which include tuition fees, library, laboratory cost and insurance coverage, a monthly subsistence allowance, and other miscellaneous costs.
Scholarship Application Deadline: October-January every year
- Either a first higher education degree must be obtained, or the student must show extensive knowledge in their selected field.
Must Read: January Intake in Europe for MBA
A.S Hornby Educational Trust Scholarship
The Hornby Scholarship Program was created in 1961 honouring A.S. Hornby, the creator of the Oxford Advanced Learners’ Dictionary. This Scholarship in the UK is one of the major scholarships for Nigerian students to study in the UK. It is provided to English teachers willing to pursue a one-year master’s degree in English Language Teaching (ELT) at the University of Warwick.
Scholarship Awards: A monthly stipend is provided for the costs of living, tuition, visa, and language tests.
Scholarship Application Deadline: By Nov 30, 2022
- A full-time university degree in English or Education.
- Three years of experience as a full-time teacher.
- The applicants need to fulfil the English proficiency test specified by the university.
Check Out: Campus vs City University in UK: Which is Better?
Felix Scholarships are available for underprivileged students in Nigeria and other developing countries to provide them educational opportunities to continue with their postgraduate courses in the United Kingdom. The humble beginning of the Felix Scholarships in the UK began with 6 awards in 1991-1992 and has now risen to 20 scholarships per year with 428 students who have received this meritorious scholarship.
Scholarship Awards: Tuition Fees and Extra Funds worth GBP 78,840 (NGN 40 Million)
Deadline: January 31st
- The candidate must be below the age of 30 years.
- The candidate must be of Nigerian nationality and must not be currently living or studying outside of Nigeria
- Underprivileged candidates must apply for a full-time postgraduate program with any of the affiliated universities.
- After the completion of their post-graduation, candidates must return to work in their home country.
Also Read: Study in UK Without IELTS
Among the oldest scholarships for Nigerian students to study in the UK, (first awarded in 1902) the Rhodes Scholarship program awards five scholarships to study at Oxford University. This scholarship in the UK is offered to those wanting to pursue postgraduate degree-level courses at the university for a duration of one or two years.
Scholarship Amount: 59,490 Pounds (NGN 20 Million)
Scholarship Perks: The scholarship consists of an annual stipend covering college fees, living costs, and economy class air tickets.
Scholarship Application Deadline: By the end of July every year
- A formal education pursued at an Indian institution for at least 4-10 years is essential.
- Age limit: 19-25 years.
- An undergraduate degree in first-class or with an equivalent level must be obtained.
Check Out: Cheapest Universities in UK
Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
Commonwealth Scholarships are one of the most renowned scholarships in the UK where the governments of 53 Commonwealth Countries offer scholarship rewards to the candidates from the Commonwealth Nations. This scholarship in the UK was first established in 1959. Till now, over 30,000 students have benefited from this meritorious scholarship in the UK.
Scholarship Awards: Scholarship Awards include tuition fees, airline fares, and other miscellaneous allowances.
Scholarship Application Deadline: 30th October annually
- Eligible candidates must be below 40 years of age and must be a resident of Nigeria
- Eligible candidates shortlisted for the scholarship are required to appear for a personal interview in Abuja.
Know all about Intakes in the UK!
Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation has offered scholarships, grants, and awards to deserving students in various fields of academic excellence since 1976. The foundation had also established Inlaks Scholarships, a Scholarship for UK institutions from which many students have benefited.
Scholarship Awards: Scholarship awards up to 100,000 US Dollars (NGN 30 Million) which cover tuition fees, living costs, airline fares, and travel expenses.
Scholarship Application Deadline: March 31 Annually
- Candidates must be below 30 years of age.
- Candidates should hold a first-class degree from a recognised institution in Nigeria.
- Candidates should also be a resident of Nigeria for the last six months, at the time of applying for this scholarship.
Check out: Study in Scotland
PhD Scholarships for Nigerian Students in the UK
Apart from the major study in UK scholarships mentioned above, here are the best PhD Scholarships for Nigerian students in the UK:
- Imperial College London President’s PhD Scholarships
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- The Royal Society Grants
- Carnegie PhD Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries
- The Newton-Bhabha Fund
- Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships in the Humanities
- Saltire Scholarships
- Euraxess UK Scholarships
Scholarship for Masters in the UK for Nigerian Students
Take a look at the most popular master’s scholarships in the UK for Nigerian students:
- University of Reading Master’s Scholarship
- Marshall Scholarships
- CastleSmart Scholarships
- Cardiff University Elite International Scholarships
- Clarendon Scholarships by University of Oxford
- University of Edinburgh Global Scholarships
- Queen’s University Belfast International Scholarships
MBA Scholarships in UK for Nigerian Students
Planning to study MBA in UK? Check out these popular MBA scholarships in UK for Nigerian students:
- IKOS Scholarships
- Women in Leadership Scholarship
- MBA Visionary Scholarship by the University of Strathclyde
- Chevening Scholarships
- Commonwealth Masters Scholarships
- Commonwealth Fellowship Plan
- GREAT scholarships
- The Global Study Awards
- The Cranfield Trust Scholarships in the UK
- Inlaks Scholarship
- Felix Scholarship
UK University Specific Scholarship
Universities in the UK provides various scholarship to international students enrolled in different courses. Here is the list of scholarships that UK universities provide for international students:
Coventry Academic Performance Scholarship
Coventry University is one of the esteemed universities in the UK offering courses in different areas and invites applicants from all over the world. To provide financial support to students, Coventry university awards various scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Coventry Academic Performance Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship awarded to a few students that have performed marvelously in previous academic years.
Scholarships Awards – £1,500 (NGN 0.6 Million) covering tuition fees
Scholarship Deadline – Scholarships are now closed and new application submissions will start in September every year
- Students must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or postgraduate course
- Students enrolled in postgraduate programs should have at least 2:1 or equivalent qualifications
- For undergraduate programs, students should have an A – grade or equivalent.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are offered by the prestigious institution in the UK, the University of Cambridge. The scholarship not only includes the cost of tuition fee but also the cost of a visa, accommodation, single airfare, and much more.
Scholarship Awards: Awarded to 55 international students covering tuition fees and other allowances
Scholarship Deadline: January every year
- Applicant should not be a resident of the UK
- Enrolled full-time in PhD or MSc/MLitt course in UK universities
- Non-degree courses are not eligible for this scholarship
Edinburgh Doctoral College Scholarship
The University of Edinburgh in the UK provides various scholarship grants to its international applicants. One of these scholarships is Edinburgh Doctoral College Scholarships. The scholarship is for doctoral students and covers the tuition fees and also provides a stipend.
Scholarship Award: Covers the tuition fee and additional stipend
Scholarship Deadline: February every year
- Only students enrolled in on-campus research courses are eligible.
- Both full-time and part-time applicants are eligible for this scholarship
University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships
The University of West London offers scholarships to 100 applicants worth £5,000(NGN 0.4 Million) for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Being an ambassador for the University of West London students have to indulge in various promotional activities. The scholarship covers the tuition fee cost.
Scholarship Award – 100 scholarships worth up to £5,000 (NGN 0.4 Million)
Scholarship Deadline – March every year
- Full-time offer letter from university in any undergraduate and postgraduate courses
- Should have prior 4-tier Visa
UAL Vice-Chancellor’s Postgraduate International Scholarships
University of the Arts London awards various scholarship opportunities to its international students from all over the world. The university grants two types of UAL Vice-Chancellor’s Postgraduate International Scholarships. The first one is awarded for £5,000 (NGN 2.2 Million) covering the cost of tuition fees and the second one is worth £25,000 (NGN 11 Million) covering tuition fees, accommodation, and other expenses.
Scholarship Award: Awarded to 25 students worth £5,000 and £25,000 (NGN 2.2 Million-NGN 11 Million)
Scholarship Deadline: June 2022
- Enrolled in any master’s course offered by the university
- Willing to return to his/her home country after completion of the course
Leverage Edu Study Abroad Scholarship
You must have come across a dozen of study abroad scholarships that cover the entire expense of tuition fees and are fully funded. But have you heard about the popular Leverage Edu scholarship worth INR 7,00,00,000 (NGN 370 Million)! Yes, you read it right, Leverage Edu is offering an overseas scholarship up to NGN 1.6 Million exclusively for Nigerian students. Leverage Edu study abroad scholarship is meant to help hundreds of Nigerians with waivers on their tuition fees, and living expenses, as well as easing costs related to visa applications, excursions, and on-campus expenditure.
One App for All Your Study Abroad Needs
Still not sure which scholarship you’re qualified for or which would be the greatest fit for you? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Download our Free Leverage Edu App, which offers a one-stop destination for all your study abroad requirements. Start your journey, track your progress, grow with the community and so much more
Finance Your Study Abroad Dream With Leverage Edu
If you want to study abroad but are concerned about your financial situation or are unsure about study loans, we can assist. Check out Leverage Finance and we will give you zero service fees, the best interest rates, comparative analysis, and many other benefits you can also send money abroad in just a few taps using our forex services. You may check your eligibility by going to the link below.
World’s First & Largest Online University Fair Platform
Get an opportunity to speak with renowned university officials one-on-one and learn more about the campus, their courses, the application process, and prospective job options following the course. Apply to the UniConnect fair with a single click and receive on-the-spot offers from major colleges. In exclusive webinars and lectures, learn how to apply for significant scholarships and school loans. In just a few simple steps, you may attend the UniConnect fair.
- Register for UniConnect by creating an account
- Complete your profile to view the recommended universities
- Visit university booths and interact with university experts
Thus, these are the Scholarships for Nigerian students to study in the UK that are specifically brought forward so that you can realize your dreams of pursuing higher education in the UK. If you further need any assistance, feel free to get in touch with Leverage Edu experts!