Canada is the world’s third-largest destination for international students and immigrants. Its immigration and student-friendly policies to allow direct flights with no quarantine hassle have eased cost pressure on international travellers. With the country gradually reopening for on-campus classes, students are amping up to start their application process to land in the country for upcoming intakes. Keep reading to know all the documents, exams, and COVID– travel requirements to study in Canada for Nigeran Students.
[powerkit_toc title=”This Blog Includes:”]
Why Study in Canada?
We always hear a lot of young students opting for Canadian universities. In fact, according to TOI, 30,000 international students were given permanent residency in Canada. There are a lot of other student-friendly reasons that tell us why studying in Canada is a reasonable choice to make:
- Affordable: A decade ago, studying abroad was only for affluent Nigerian families. But Canada’s tuition fees and living expenses are affordable for most Nigerians. Tuition fees can be as low as NGN 6,57,179.07 per year.
- Quality of life: According to EduCanada, Canada ranks best in terms of quality of life. Student-friendly cities of Toronto, Ontario, and Montreal make it easier for international students to adjust to a new country.
- Practical education: Most of the graduate degrees in Canada are offered in a co-op format. This means that Canadian universities emphasize a lot of skill development through internships as well as theoretical education.
Application Process to Study in Canada for Nigeran Students
The application process for studying in Canada is very simply laid down in the following steps:
- Choose your preferred university and course
- Go to the university website and check their dates of application
- Fill out the online application form
- Attach the required documents like the college transcripts, letter of recommendations, SOP etc to your application
- Wait for your acceptance letter from your DLI
- Apply for your student permit (Visa).
There are just 6 hurdles between you and your dream university in Canada. Apply to Leverage Edu and assign your 6 hurdles to us!
Letter of Acceptance by DLI
DLI means your Designated Learning Institute. It refers to the university that accepted your application and is ready to give you admission. A letter of acceptance is a crucial document that you may receive via mail after your online application has been mailed. Acceptance depends on how much your application matches the candidate’s expectations. A letter of acceptance will be required while you apply for a Canadian student permit. It will take around 1 to 2 months after the applications for you to receive a Letter of Acceptance.
Pro Tip- To increase your chances of acceptance, we suggest that you apply 8 to 9 months before the semester starts.
Letter of Explanation
This letter helps the visa officer to understand you and your goals. It explains:
- Why do you want to study in Canada and,
- That you understand your responsibilities as a student.
Students have to include that they have applied for a study permit, even if they may not be required to do so for their studies.
Certificat d’acceptation du Québec
Students planning to study in Quebec for longer than 6 months, must produce the Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by the Gouvernement du Québec. Students can visit the official university website to know the application process and fees.
If your application for a CAQ got approved by the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI), but you’re still waiting to get the CAQ, you can apply for your study permit with the approval letter from the MIFI. You don’t need to wait for the CAQ to apply.
Canadian Study Permit
We suggest that you apply for the student permit at least 4-6 months before your semester starts. The application may take approximately 35 working days to be processed. To apply for the study permit, you have to pay 150 CAD or NGN 48,369 as application fees. Once your application is analyzed, you will be called for a visa interview. Once your study permit is successfully given to you, the duration of the permit is your course time plus an additional 3 months.
Proof of English Proficiency
Students from Nigeria are not required to provide proof of their English language proficiency in Canada.
Proof of Funds
Proof of funds is one of the key requirements to study in Canada for a study permit. It is a document that will prove that once on Canadian soil, you will be able to take care of yourself as a student. You can prove your financial soundness via the following evidence –
- Bank statements for the last 4 months
- Proof that you have already paid your tuition and housing fees
- Loan letter if you have taken a student loan from any bank
- In case a financial institution from Canada is providing for your education, a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) is required
- Documents that prove your scholarships/funding
Want to study abroad but are worried about expenses? Let Leverage Finance help you!
Immigration Medical Exam
Folks at the Canadian embassy take the Immigration Medical Exam extremely seriously. If you plan to study in Canada for more than 6 months, an IME is compulsory. Your doctor cannot perform a medical exam for you. You have to contact the Canadian panel of physicians who will assign you a doctor. The medical exam can be done before applying to universities as well.
From your medical history to your eyesight, everything is checked before you are given your results. Once your medical results are mailed to you, they are valid for 12 months. So you have to fly to Canada in that period or get a new medical exam done. The IME fees have to be paid by you.
For some nationals, producing a police certificate is one of the requirements to study in Canada. A police certificate is submitted as proof that you do not have a criminal record and hence are fit to study in the country. A police certificate is a background check that visa officers may need to ascertain your credentials and process your application faster.
Statement of Purpose
If you’ve liked writing long essays in your high school, consider SOPs the king of long essays (500-1000 words). Here you pour your heart out about why you’d like to study at a Canadian university and how mutually beneficial it can be. It also tells the university about your academic writing skills and written English prowess.SOPs have to be well-curated as it becomes the basis of your application acceptance. A good SOP might get you admission even if your resume is comparatively mediocre.
Guaranteed Investment Certificate
A Guaranteed Investment Certificate of CAD10,000 (NGN 32,24,599) is another one of the requirements to study in Canada, especially if you are studying in an SDS college. It is a short-term investment that colleges require students to make to provide proof of financial funds for 12 months or more. Most Canadian banks offer GIC programs to international students at varied interest rates. Here are some documents you may need to provide for a student permit:
- A letter of attestation;
- A GIC certificate;
- An Investment Directions Confirmation or
- An Investment Balance Confirmation
Eligibility Requirements for Bachelor’s Degree
Following are the requirements to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Canada –
- You must have a senior school certificate issued by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC).
- For undergraduate courses, you are expected to have a WAEC or NECO result with at least five/six credits including English and mathematics.
- Online application form
- Proof of funds
- Statement of purpose
- Updated CV
Eligibility Requirements for Master’s Degree
For a 1-2 year master’s degree in Canada, the following are the requirements:
- For postgraduate courses, you must have obtained a minimum of a second-class lower (2:2) with a high GPA in the last two years of your undergraduate studies or second-class upper (2:1).
- GMAT or GRE score
- Letter of recommendations
- Statement of purpose
Eligibility Requirements for MBA
MBA, a highly sought-after course in Canada, asks for the following requirements from international students:
- Graduation degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Canada
- GMAT or GRE score depending upon the university
- Work experience of a certain period is also dependent on the university you are applying to
Eligibility Requirements for a Doctorate
Want to pursue a PhD in your field and be called a doctor? Know the requirements for you to study in Canada here:
- Postgraduate degree in your relevant field
- A research proposal within your statement of purpose
- Letter of recommendation
- GMAT or GRE depending on your field
- Updated resume
Are you a Nigerian student and planning to study in Canada? Then what are you waiting for? Call our Leverage Edu experts at +91 86306 84298 and get started on an incredible journey to your dream university! You can drop a mail at email@example.com and our experts will reach out to you.