Nearly 5 million students are enrolled in further education programs outside their home country. Students from India, Nigeria, the Philippines, and China are some of the largest groups of international students that map their global careers against all odds! Studying abroad is undoubtedly a big financial commitment and getting a scholarship can be a boon for students and a respite for many. To make it easier and affordable for students, there are various scholarships, bursaries, and grants offered by universities across the globe. Here are some scholarships for Nigerian students to avail themselves and build a fine future!
[powerkit_toc title=”This Blog Includes:”]
Scholarships for Nigerian Students
Here are some of the best scholarships for Nigerian students in different countries like US, UK, Canada, and more:
Scholarships in USA for Nigerian Students
Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program allows talented graduate students from abroad to study and conduct research in the US. A total of 4,000 international students receive Fulbright scholarships every year. The awarded grant covers tuition fees, textbooks, airfare, a living stipend, and health insurance. The eligibility criteria for getting the Scholarship are:
- You must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria or permanent residents of Nigeria.
- You must be a Doctoral/PhD student who has completed a significant amount of their doctoral program in Nigerian universities
- Masters and First-Degree Students are not eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
- You must have an excellent academic record and a high level of English proficiency.
- You must meet the minimum score on required standardized tests such as a score of 90 in TOEFL.
- You will be short-listed for interviews if you have strong proposals, research objectives, methodology, time frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S.
- If you’ve not studied in the U.S, preference will be given to you.
- Students having proposals that are tilted toward economics, development-related areas, democracy, human rights and conflict resolution will be given preference
- The scholarship is not applicable to students pursuing law, business or accounting programs.
Also Read: Top Universities in the USA
Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship fellowship provides tuition fees, allowance, accident and health insurance, travel expenses, etc. to the awarded students. 200 Fellowships are awarded annually. There is no choice in selecting the university as students are placed in participating universities in the USA. The scholarship is offered in the following program fields:
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Economic Development
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Finance and Banking
- Higher Education Administration
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
- Human Resource Management
- Law and Human Rights
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
- Technology Policy and Management
- Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
- Urban and Regional Planning
The eligibility criteria are mentioned below:
- You must possess an undergraduate (first university) degree,
- You must have a minimum of five years of full-time, a relevant professional experience
- You should have either limited or no prior experience in the United States,
- You must demonstrate leadership qualities
- You must have a record of public service in the community
- You should have proven English language proficiency.
Scholarships in the UK for Nigerian Students
British Chevening Scholarships
Chevening Scholarships are funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organizations. These scholarships are awarded to excellent students from eligible countries for a year of master’s degree. Almost 1500 scholarships are offered to eligible students globally. To get the scholarship, you must:
- You must be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country or region.
- You’ll have to return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your awarded grant has ended.
- Having completed all the required components of an undergraduate degree, this will now enable you to gain entry into a postgraduate program at a UK university by the time you submit your application.
- An upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK may be different depending on your course and university choice.
- You must have at least two years of work experience.
Must Read: Study in UK 2022
Scholarships in Europe for Nigerian Students
Following are some of the scholarships offered by European universities for Nigerian students.
Holland Scholarships for Non-EU/EEA Students
The Holland Scholarship, funded by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture, and Science, is awarded to international students who are from the non-EEA area.
This scholarship is offered to students who want to pursue a bachelor’s or master’s at a Dutch research University and the University of applied sciences in Holland. This scholarship is not fully funded and is awarded only for one academic year. You are eligible for getting the Scholarship only if
- Your nationality is non-EEA.
- You are applying for a full-time bachelor’s or master’s degree at one of the participating Dutch universities.
- You meet the specific eligibility requirements of the institution/university of your choice.
- You have never before studied at an educational institution in the Netherlands.
DAAD Scholarships for Development-Related Postgraduate Courses
DAAD Scholarships are offered to students hailing from developing countries who want to pursue a master’s degree in a German university. The scholarship is offered for 12-24 months for a master’s degree and 4 years for PhD program. The scholarship is offered in the following fields of study:
Masters or PhD courses in
- Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics
- Development Cooperation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional and Urban Planning
- Agricultural and Forest Science
- Natural and Environmental Sciences; Medicine and Public Health
- Social Sciences, Education and Law and Media Studies.
The eligibility requirements for this scholarship are mentioned below:
- You must be working either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country and
- Must be engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with an emphasis on development policies having a bearing on technological, economic or social areas.
- You must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a related subject.
- You must’ve completed an academic degree with far above average results (upper third) and ideally at least two years of related professional experience after your bachelor’s degree.
- Your academic degrees should not be more than six years old.
- For courses offered in English, the following are the English Language requirements:
Danish Government Scholarships for Non-EU/EEA Students
This scholarship is offered by the Danish government to international students hailing from non-EEA/EU countries who wish to pursue full-time higher education programs in Denmark. You’ll be eligible for the scholarship if
- You’re a citizen of a country outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA).
- You’re enrolled in a full-time higher education degree.
- You are granted a time-limited residence permit in Denmark due to educational purposes.
Turkey Graduate Scholarships for International Students
These scholarships are funded by the Turkish Government and are offered to citizens of any country in the world. These scholarships are offered to international students who want to pursue bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD Programs at participating Turkish universities. Keep in mind that you’ll have to pursue a Turkish language course for one year.
You’ll be eligible for getting the Scholarships if you meet the following mentioned criteria:
- You must have obtained a minimum of 70% in your bachelor’s degree.
- You must be under the age of 21 to pursue an undergraduate study program.
- You must have obtained a minimum of 75% in your master’s or PhD program.
- You must be under the age of 30 and 35 for pursuing master’s and doctoral/PhD programs respectively.
- You must be under the age of 45 if you want to receive a research scholarship.
- You must have obtained 90% for Health Science (Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy) programs.
Scholarships in Singapore for Nigerian Students
Singapore International Graduate Award
International students who wish to pursue PhD Programs in Biomedical Sciences and Physical Sciences and Engineering are awarded these scholarships by the Singapore Government. Almost 240 scholarships are awarded every year to international students. The awarded grant provides financial support (full tuition fees, monthly stipend, settlement allowance, and airfare ) for up to 4 years which is the duration of PhD studies in Singapore.
You’re eligible for these Scholarships if
- You’re an international graduate with a genuine passion for research and possess excellent academic results
- You have great skills in written and spoken English
- You possess good reports from academic references.
Must Read: Exploring Student life
Ans. The duration of the PhD program in Turkey is 4 years long.
Ans. A GPA of 2.5 is the minimum requirement to pursue a master’s degree in Germany.
Ans. To study in Germany from Nigeria, you’ll need the Visa Type D / Residence Permit to pursue further education in Germany.
Want to study abroad? Then do not wait and call our Leverage Edu experts on +91 86306 84298 and get started on an incredible journey to your dream university! You can drop a mail at email@example.com and our experts will reach out to you.