The UK must be one of your top choices for pursuing higher studies abroad. This is due to multiple reasons, as all of us would know. However, what aspirants must be prepared for is student life in the UK. Of the many courses offered, Nursing is also now a popular choice among students. There are a few universities in the UK offering courses in Nursing. If you are a Nigerian student and wish to pursue Nursing in the UK then this blog might be of great help to you. Here we will discuss in brief how to do it. Read on to know more.
[powerkit_toc title=”This Blog Includes:”]
Why Study Nursing in the UK?
The United Kingdom is known for its top–tier universities and fine education system. Apart from maintaining a highly professional and elite status in the world, the UK has an amazing life for students to indulge in which makes their stay merrier. Here are a couple of reasons why you should study nursing in the UK.
- Globally Recognized Degree: Gaining a nursing degree from the UK will enable you to work as a nurse in the entire world as UK degrees are recognized globally.
- Employment Opportunities: According to BBC, most employable graduates in the UK are nursing graduates as 94% of the students find jobs within six months after completing their nursing graduation.
Popular Intakes in UK
|Intake||Starting Months||Application Deadlines|
|Fall/ Primary Intake||September||June- July|
Top Nursing Programs in UK
|Bachelor of Nursing (with Honours) – BN Hons||4 Years|
|MSc in Nursing||2 Years|
|PhD/MPhil Nursing||3 Years|
Best Universities for Nursing in UK
- King’s College London
- University of Manchester
- University of Southampton
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Nottingham
- University of Liverpool
- Coventry University
- University of Glasgow
- University of Dundee
- Ulster University
Average Tuition Fees
For Nigerian students, the average cost of pursuing a Nursing course in UK ranges between NGN 6,25,728 – 13,03,601 for the whole course. Based on university data, an employment rate of 96% is seen in all major institutions after graduating from the program.
Eligibility Criteria to Study Nursing in the UK
To secure admission to UK universities for a course in Nursing, students must meet the eligibility criteria specified by each University. We have listed the basic eligibility criteria for admission to Nursing courses in the UK for Nigerian students below:
- You must have a senior school certificate issued by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC).
- For undergraduate courses, you are expected to have a WAEC or NECO result with at least five/six credits including English and mathematics.
- Scored good marks in Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- Students must hold an updated resume, passport size photos and a valid passport.
- An undergraduate degree in a related field with 60-69%(For PG courses)
- Five GCSEs at grade C (50-59%) or above in English language or literature, mathematics, and science.
Applications to universities offering Nursing in the UK applications are submitted via the UCAS portal. Here’s the step-wise application process:
- Visit the UCAS portal
- Check the course curriculum and the eligibility requirements
- Click on the application form of the respective university
- First, you need to create an account using your mobile number or email address
- You will receive an email or SMS on your registered contact number with login details and verification
- Use the login details provided and enter your personal details (name, gender, date of birth)
- Enter your academic qualification and upload the required documents
- Select the course and pay the application fee
- The application fee is different for every university and can be paid through a debit/credit card or internet banking
- Submit your application form, you can also track your application form through your account
- Students that have been selected will be required to attend a virtual interview by some universities
- All academic Transcripts
- Previously cleared exam scores
- All the necessary qualification certificates
- Passport photocopy
- Letter of Recommendations
- Bank Statements (Parents/Personal)
- Passport Copy
Want to study abroad but are worried about expenses? Let Leverage Finance help you!
Future Scope of Nursing in UK
The job opportunities and career aspects are endless for students after pursuing a Nursing course in the UK. The salary offered at the initial stages is also suitable for the students. After completing nursing in the UK, students may opt to work as –
- Trainee Nurse
- Children Nurse
- Staff Nurse
- Mental Health Nurse
- Learning Disability Nurse
- Health Visitors
Job Profiles & Salary
On average, the salary of a registered nurse in the UK ranges from 33,000 to 35,000 GBP (NGN 17716971 – 18790726). With higher experience, the salary increases and ranges between 50,000 to 60,000 GBP (NGN 26843891 – 32212670)
|Job Profiles||Salary in Nigerian Naira per Annum|
|Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP)||2,00,79,575|
|Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)||1,75,02,875|
|Neonatal Nurse (RN)||1,44,46,370|
|Psychiatric Nurse (RN)||1,36,16,472|
|Registered Nurse (RN)||1,29,48,716|
Also Read: Russell Group Universities
If you are a Nigerian student and planning to study in UK our Leverage Edu experts are here to help you in identifying the best schools to apply to so that you can embrace the incredible opportunities presented by this striking country. Call our Leverage Edu experts at +91 86306 84298 and get started on an incredible journey to your dream university! You can drop a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and our experts will reach out to you.