Canada is the #1 study abroad destination for international students according to US News and World Report rankings of the Best Countries Overall. The country’s government has invested immensely in the education sector and is consistently striving to become an internationally renowned study destination. Offering affordable courses and economical costs of living, the country is attracting an increasing number of students from Nigeria each year. By pursuing a Master’s degree in Canada, you can not only avail yourself of global exposure to your field of interest but can also delve deeper into the research arena. In this blog, we will take a look at the varied range of courses and universities to study Masters in Canada as a Nigerian student.
[poweacrkit_toc title=”This Blog Includes:”]
Why Study Masters in Canada?
Home to over 90 academic institutions, Canada offers a plethora of Master’s degree programs in almost every field of study. In 2018, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) ranked Canada as the world’s most educated country with over 56% of its adults having earned some kind of education after completing high school. Canadian universities and colleges offer globally recognized postgraduate degrees in almost every field such as Medicine, Politics, Technology, Business, and Media, among others. Let’s take a look at the major reasons why opting for a Master’s in Canada can help you get closer to your career goals:
- Incremental importance has been given to research when it comes to master’s degree courses offered in Canada. The academic institutions encourage postgraduate students to avail research opportunities to delve deeper into their chosen field of study and attain extensive knowledge that is more than just a degree.
- For master’s degrees, the cost of studying in Canada is comparatively more affordable than in mainstream countries like the UK and the USA.
- Nigerian students can choose from various enticing scholarships offered by Canadian universities and specially designed for meritorious candidates seeking an affordable education. When it comes to Master’s degree courses in Canada, there are copious financial aid schemes that provide students with the required monetary assistance to pursue their dream program.
- If you want to explore full-time job opportunities after completing your masters in Canada, you can further apply for a work permit which can be acquired through quite a simplified procedure.
Top Universities for Masters in Canada
From Management to Fine Arts, Nigerian students can choose from a wide range of postgraduate courses offered by Canadian universities. The following table elucidates some of the popular Universities and courses you must consider while exploring your options for pursuing a master’s in Canada:
|Name of the University||QS World University Rankings 2023||THE World University Rankings 2022|
|University of Toronto||34||18|
|The University of British Columbia||47||37|
|University of Montreal||116||88|
|University of Alberta||110||125|
|University of Waterloo||154||201-250|
|Simon Fraser University||328||201-250|
|University of Manitoba||651-700||301-350|
Types of Masters in Canada
Masters degrees (also known as ‘grad’ programs) in Canada are offered in various streams. Students can choose a suitable program and also pick their niche for specialization. A few popular types of masters in Canada are mentioned below.
- Master of Arts (MA)
- Master of Science (MSc)
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
- Master of Engineering (MEng)
- Master of Technology (MTech)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- 1-year masters in Canada
- 2 Years PG Diploma
Popular Master Programs in Canada
In Canada, a Master’s degree entails not just typical lectures and tutorials, but also field trips, projects, and group work. Dissertations provide for the majority of course credit in most Master’s degrees. With so many degree possibilities, students often select the cheapest Master’s programmes in Canada. They must, however, consider other factors such as programme availability, placement, and rankings, among others. The table below lists the most common Master’s degrees in Canada, as well as some of the best universities in the country that offer them:
|University of Toronto||Masters of Medium Studies|
|McGill University||Masters of Management in Analytics|
|University of Dundee||Master of Education|
|University of British Columbia||MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering|
|Trent University||Masters of Management|
|Westford University College||Masters of International Business|
|Adler University||Masters of Psychology|
|Royals Roads University||Masters of Global Management|
|Saint Mary’s University||International Masters of Teaching English|
|University of Lethbridge||Masters of Fine Arts|
|The Centre for Digital Media||Masters of Digital Media|
|Vancouver School of Theology||Masters of Divinity|
|Wycliffe College||Masters of Theological Studies in Development|
|The Global Alliance in Management Education||Masters in International Management|
|Universite Du Quebec EnOutaouais||Masters in Social Sciences of Development|
This will help you explore more academic institutes in Canada:
Top 10 Colleges In Canada: All You Need To Know
Popular Intakes in Canada
Many of the Canadian universities offer three popular intakes for admissions for Masters courses – Fall, Winter and Summer. The Fall intake is the most popular intake in the country followed by Winter and Summer intakes.
|Intakes||Applications Begin||Starting Month|
Masters in Canada Application Deadlines
The table given below highlights the application deadlines of different Canadian universities for Masters in Canada:
|University of Toronto||January 13|
|University of British Columbia||January 15|
|McGill University||January 15|
|McMaster University||July 2|
|Universite de Montreal||Fall and Summer- February 1
Winter- September 1
|University of Alberta||September admission- July 1
January admission- November 1
May admission- March 1
July admission- May 1
|University of Ottawa||Fall- March 1Winter- August 1|
|University of Waterloo||February 1|
|Western University||September admission – February 1
January admission – July 1
May admission – October 1
|University of Calgary||Spring- March 1
Summer- May 1
Fall- July 1
Winter- November 1
As there are numerous institutions offering a plethora of Master’s degree programs in Canada, the eligibility criteria might differ from one University to another. Below we have listed down some of the common eligibility criteria you need to keep in mind while applying for Masters in Canada, be it any course:
- Graduation degree equivalent to Canadian Bachelor’s degree i.e., 10+2 and 3 or 4 years of an undergraduate degree program.
- Countable work experience in your chosen field of study.
- English language proficiency tests like IELTS, and TOEFL are demanded as an integral part of the application process for Master’s in Canada. However, certain universities exempt Nigerian students from taking these tests as part of their application.
- Candidates who are willing to opt Engineering or Management degree also have to appear for eligibility examinations like GMAT and GRE.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) & Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- Proof that you have sufficient funds to study in Canada.
- An updated CV (if required)
- If you are applying for a Master’s in Canada or PhD program, you might need to provide two letters of academic reference with previous letters of employment. And if you haven’t studied in Canada before, you will also need an ECA (Educational Credential Assessment).
Don’t forget to check out the list of important documents that are required for admission in Canada!
To appear for a conventional Masters in Canada, there are certain legal procedures that must be followed. From entry norms to Visa requirements, here are some of the things that you must keep in mind while going for education in Canada:
- In light of the worldwide pandemic, the Canadian Government is currently not issuing student Visas. However, students who wish to enter a university in Canada should stay updated about the universities they prefer to take admitted in. This is because Canadian colleges and universities are issuing letters of acceptance to international students.
- When the situation normalizes, Nigerian students must apply for a Visa with validity as long as the course duration, including the internship and part-time job duration.
- To work part-time in the country, students must apply for a temporary work permit with the Canadian authorities. The universities ensure that part-time work does not hamper the course progression.
- The students must have proof of adequate funding that is required to pay for the tuition fee, as well as cover sustenance costs.
Cost of Studying Masters in Canada
Nigerian students will have to spend an average of CAD 18,000 (NGN 57,40,000) in tuition fees per year for studying Master’s in Canada. While the average cost of studying Executive MBA courses is CAD 57,000 (NGN 1,81,82,700), the tuition fee for regular MBA programs is approximately CAD 28,000 (NGN 89,31,800). The average estimated tuition fees for pursuing a Master’s degree are mentioned below:
|University||Average Annual Tuition Fee (in CAD)||Average Annual Tuition Fee (in NGN)|
|University of Toronto||37,897||1,20,85,000|
|University of British Columbia||8,592||27,40,000|
|Universite de Montreal||24,558||78,31,500|
|University of Alberta||9,465||30,18,400|
|University of Ottawa||25,718||82,01,400|
|University of Waterloo||14,084||44,91,400|
|Western University||117,500||71.35 lakhs|
|University of Calgary||14,538||8.82 lakhs|
Cost of Living in Canada
Given below is a breakdown of the different expenses which are important to consider while calculating the cost of studying and living in Canada for Indian students.
|Living Cost in Canada||Cost|
|Flight Expense||NGN 5,22,300/- 10,44, 600/- per flight|
|Study Permit Fees||$150 (NGN 62,300)|
|Work Permit Fees||$155 (NGN 64,400)|
|IELTS test Fees||NGN 76,800|
|Accommodation||CAD 5,000 – CAD 10,000 (NGN 15,95,000 – 31,89,000) per annum|
|Travel Costs||CAD 80 – CAD 110 (NGN 25,500 – 35,000) per month|
|Health Insurance||CAD 300-CAD 800 (NGN 96,000 – 2,55,500)|
|Food||CAD 300- CAD 400 [NGN 96,000 – 1,27,600] (monthly)|
|Entertainment||CAD 750 [NGN 2,40,000] (monthly)|
Use Our Exclusive Cost of Living Calculator to Calculate your Customised Cost of Living in Canada!
The following is a list of scholarships available in Canada for Indian students.
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- University of Waterloo International Master’s and Doctoral Awards
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship
- University of Calgary Graduate Awards and Scholarships
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship
- UBC Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships
- Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
Work Permit after Masters in Canada
For higher education, Nigerian students are seeking global study are flocking to Canada. One of the most crucial criteria is the availability of friendly policies for obtaining a work visa in Canada. Graduates of top Canadian colleges can obtain a three-year work permit, which can subsequently lead to permanent residency. Students obtaining a Master’s degree in Canada are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The PGWP is a non-restrictive work permit that allows students to work for any employer in Canada. Its applicability is determined by the duration of the educational program. PGWP has a maximum term of 3 years. A student must apply for a post-graduation work permit within 180 days of finishing their program and receiving transcripts to be eligible.
Know-How to Get a Canada Student Permit?
Top Paying Sectors in Canada
Some of the popular sectors to explore after completing your masters in Canada are:
|Sector||Average Expects Salaries in CAD per year||Average Expects Salaries in NGN per year|
|CS-IT||62,000 or more||1,97,70,000|
|Electrical Engineering||75,000 or more||2,39,17,400|
|Civil Engineering||48,000 or more||1,53,07,000|
|Mechanical Engineering||50,000 or more||1,59,44,900|
|Data Science & Machine Learning||65,000 or more||2,07,28,400|
Note: International students from Nigeria can apply for permanent residency or PR in Canada after studying and working in the country. Candidates who become permanent citizens receive the majority of the social advantages available to Canadian citizens are able to work or study anywhere in the country, and can even seek Canadian citizenship.
It can cost anywhere between CAD $2,500 (NGN 7,80,000) and CAD $18,000 (NGN 57,40,000) in tuition cost. The overall expense can be more or less depending on the individual lifestyle.
Canada is one of the top-ranked countries in the world for masters. Its universities like the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia and McGill University are amongst the top 50 universities in QS World Rankings 2022.
To study in Canada, students need 3-4 years of bachelor’s, IELTS score, LORS and SOP.
Some of the most popular courses in Canada for masters are MBA, Engineering, Nursing, Psychology, International Relations, Data Science, Management, Agriculture and Environmental Sciences.
In Canada, a full-time master’s degree takes between one and two years to complete at one of the country’s universities. Part-time master’s programmes, on the other hand, can take anywhere from 2 to 6 years to finish and can be accomplished through online seminars, evening modules, or a distance learning programme.
Yes, international students can work for 20 hours a week during course sessions. Also, during vacations, they can work full time.
In order to study in Canada, Nigerian students are required to obtain a visa, which is called the Student Permit. In addition, the student must fill all requirements of a Canadian Visa application as well as the specific course requirements of the University that they are applying.
This was everything that you need to know about a Master’s in Canada from Nigeria. Reach out to experts at Leverage Edu at 1800572000 and book a free consultation call. They’ll guide you in choosing a suitable Master’s degree course and university in Canada as well as throughout the application process to get you successfully shortlisted.