Located in the heart of England, The University of Derby is a public university with its roots going back to 1851. The university is known for providing excellent education and was awarded the University of the Year at the UK Social Mobility Awards in the year 2020. Due to its great presence and quality education, the University of Derby is a dream destination for many. The university is home to 34,000 students including more than 1,000 international students hailing from over 100 countries across the globe. The University of Derby offers a wide range of programs at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Planning to study at the University of Derby in the United Kingdom? Here’s everything you need to know about the University of Derby admissions to scholarships.
|University Name||University of Derby|
|Former Names||Derby College
Derby College of Art and Technology
Derby Lonsdale College of Higher Education
Derbyshire College of Higher Education
|Motto in English||Experience is the best teacher|
|Number of Campuses||4|
|Campus Location||Derby (Main Campus)
|International Collaboration||Botswana Accountancy College
Swiss Education Group
Raffles Design Institute
Royal Malaysian Police
This Blog Includes:
- Courses offered at the University of Derby
- Undergraduate Courses
- Postgraduate Courses
- Admission Requirements
- Postgraduate Courses
- English Language Requirements
- How to Apply for Admission?
- Documents Checklist
- Admission Deadlines
- How much will it cost to study at University of Derby?
- Application Fee for Admission
- Cost of Living in Derby
- Scholarships for Indian students 2022-2023
- Postgraduate (PGT) Scholarship
Courses offered at the University of Derby
As a part of University of Derby admissions, it offers over 300 courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The popular study areas at the University of Derby are as mentioned below:
- Environmental Science
- Health, Social and Community Work
- Social Sciences
- Nursing and Health Care Practice
- Biology and Zoology
- Criminology and Policing
- Global Affairs and Politics
- Human Resource Management
- Architectural Technologies, Interior Architecture, and Design
- Tourism Management
The table below mentions the number of courses offered in the respective areas of studying:
|Area of Study||Number of Courses|
|Social Science and Management||95|
|Business and Management||57|
|Arts and Humanities||59|
|Life Sciences and Medicine||38|
|Area of Study||Number of Courses|
|Arts and Humanities||30|
|Life Sciences and Medicine||37|
|Social Science and Management||57|
The general eligibility requirements to study at the University of Derby admissions:
- You must have scored a minimum of 70% in the Standard XII.
- University of Derby accepts English from CBSE, CICSE and Maharashtra boards with a minimum of 75%.
- You must have a bachelors degrees from institutions recognised by NARIC or government recognised institutions in India with a score of 50-60%
- Relevant Work Experience
*Requirements may vary depending on recognition of institution and scoring system used by the institution.
English Language Requirements
If you’re hailing from a country where English is not the first language then you’re supposed to provide English Language proficiency along with other eligibility requirements. The minimum scores of English Language Tests are as mentioned:
|English Language Tests||Minimum Score Requirements|
|IELTS||6.0 – 7.0 or above|
|Cambridge English Scale||B2 – C1|
Join Leverage Live to score High in English Language Tests such as IELTS, TOEFL & PTE
How to Apply for Admission?
To apply for an undergraduate course at the University of Derby, you can apply directly through the UCAS Portal or you can
- Call our Leverage Edu student counsellors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your courses with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder.
- The experts will then commence your application process at the University of Derby through our common dashboard platform where you can witness the status of your application process.
- The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
- After submitting your application and all the necessary documents, the experts will then start with the application process for accommodation, UK students visas, and scholarships/student loans.
- It’s now time to wait for your offer letter which can take around 4-6 weeks or more. Post accepting your offer letter, it’s now time to pay your semester fees, get your visa approved, CAS-Letter.
Here is a quick checklist of all the important documents required for admission to the University of Derby as an international student:
- All official academic Transcripts and diplomas if any
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations (2) (3)
- Statement of Purpose
- TB Test Certificate
- Financial Evidence
- Portfolio or writing samples if required
The University of Derby admissions includes three intakes as mentioned:
- Spring Intake
- Fall Intake
- Summer Intake
Admission Deadlines vary for different courses as every program has its own deadline and depends upon the intake session chosen by the student. However, the majority of courses have a deadline i.e. mid January.
How much will it cost to study at University of Derby?
Below mentioned is the annual tuition fees for international students in GBP excluding any scholarship, bursary or discount. Some courses may have different tuition fees. A general summary of tuition fees for popular courses such as MBA or MSc is mentioned below:
|Course||Amount in GBP||Amount in INR|
|Undergraduate||£14,045||INR 14 lakh|
|Postgraduate||£14,700||INR 14 lakh|
|MBA||£15,450||INR 15 lakh|
|MSc GeoEnergy||£19,950||INR 19-20 lakh|
Application Fee for Admission
The application fee at the University of Derby is as per the UCAS mentioned below:
- Singe Course: GBP 20 (INR 2000)
- Multiple Course: GBP 25 (INR 2500)
The application fee is nonrefundable.
Cost of Living in Derby
The cost of living in any part of the world totally depends upon your personal choices and how you manage to spend your money. Living and managing expenses abroad as an international student is undoubtedly a difficult task. But a general amount of living in the respective country and city, Derby, in this case, can definitely help you with the planning. Derby is considered among the most affordable cities in the United Kingdom. The average amount of living in Derby as an international student can range from GBP 700 – GBP 1000 (INR 70,000 – INR 1 lakh) per month. You can check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator to find out a detailed breakdown of expenses in different cities.
Scholarships for Indian students 2022-2023
As an Indian student applying for the University of Derby admissions, you’re eligible for scholarships and discounts to make your study more affordable. You can apply for some scholarships once you get accepted by the University of Derby and others will be applied automatically if you are eligible for the same. The scholarship is as mentioned:
These scholarships are awarded to international students pursuing full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students with exceptional academic results and skills. The awarded grant is one academic year of the tuition fees of the respective program.
International Excellent Student Scholarship
This scholarship is offered to exceptional international students with an award grant of GBP 5,000 (INR 5 lakh)
International students who are applying for postgraduate programs at the University of Derby are eligible to receive this scholarship that includes an award grant of GBP 11,000 (INR 11 lakh)
International Merit Scholarship
Indian students are awarded this scholarship with a grant of GBP 1,500 (INR 1,53,236) who can demonstrate high academic achievements.
Postgraduate (PGT) Scholarship
Postgraduate Scholarship (PGT) is offered to international students who are applying for a postgraduate program at the University of Derby. The awarded grant is GBP 2,000 (INR 2,00,000)
The University of Derby has 3 major intakes that are Fall, Spring, and Summer.
The University of Derby accepts Bachelor of Engineering/Technology from accredited institutions such as the IIT or Tier-1 university or the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
The University of Derby has a great acceptance rate of 85%.
Are you planning to study at the University of Derby in the UK? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counseling session today.