The University of Derby is the only university located in Derby and Derbyshire, UK. With a proud history of providing quality education since 1851, the university was established as Derby Diocesan Institution for the Training of Schoolmistresses and gained University status in the year 1992. Due to industry-relevant programs offered at the University of Derby, expert teaching, from the foundation and undergraduate degrees to postgraduate study and research, the University of Derby has become a popular choice for international students. The university is home to more than 1,700 international students coming from over 100 countries around the world. Let’s explore how many students get accepted by the University of Derby and its average acceptance rate!
|University Name||University of Derby|
|Location||Derby, England, United Kingdom|
|Former Names||Derby College
Derby College of Art and Technology
Derby Lonsdale College of Higher Education
Derbyshire College of Higher Education
|Motto in English||Experience is the best teacher|
|Popular Courses||Business, Law, Science, Engineering, Arts|
This Blog Includes:
Why Choose the University of Derby?
- University of Derby has invested over £200 million in its state-of-the-art facilities over the past ten years, including the Financial Markets Lab, Sports Center, Crown Court, Aquatic Research Facility and Crime Scene House which makes it even more interesting to study at the University of Derby.
- Get taught by experts who have an extensive amount of experience working in industry and great links with employers. You can build great industry links, hence adding your CV. The university has an employment rate of more than 80%. The culture of real world learning at the University of Derby makes it possible for students to build a great career ahead.
- Derby is the UK’s most central and vibrant city. Derby is known for a jam-packed social scene that allows international students to experience the culture, great heritage and beautiful countryside. Also, you do need to worry much about expenses at Derby as it is considered one of the most affordable cities for international students with a monthly budget ranging from GBP 700 – GBP 1,000 (INR 70,000 – INR 1,00,00).
University of Derby Acceptance Rate
The University of Derby has an acceptance rate of 80% to 90% which means that out of 100 applications, between 80 to 90 students at the University of Derby get accepted. University of Derby’s acceptance rate might be selectively less but it is necessary for students to meet the eligibility criteria set by the University. You’re advised to obtain a good percentage of 70% and above in high school for undergraduate courses and above 60% for most of the postgraduate courses. However, a first come first serve policy is recommended for international students to apply as early as possible.
University of Derby in Global Rankings 2023
The University of Derby has been ranked by popular national and international rankers as mentioned below:
|QS World University Rankings 2023||#1001–1200|
|Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023||#601–800|
National Rankings and Awards
- It has been ranked #97 by the Complete University Guide 2022.
- It has been ranked #59 by the Guardian Rankings 2022.
- It has been ranked #94 by the Times / Sunday Times University Rankings of 2022.
- University of Derby has been awarded with Gold in Teaching Excellence Framework by British Government assessment.
Some of the popular courses at the university revolve around the following subjects.
- Environmental Science
- Social Sciences
- Criminology and Policing
- Human Resource Management
- For undergraduate courses, you must have scored a minimum of 70% in the Standard XII.
- Also, University of Derby accepts English from CBSE, CICSE and Maharashtra boards with a minimum of 75%.
- For postgraduate courses, you must have obtained a bachelor’s degrees from institutions recognised by NARIC or government recognised institutions in India with a score of 50-60%
- And relevant work experience is required for specific courses.
- English Language requirements for Indian students are an IELTS score of 6.0 for UG courses and 6.5 and above for PG courses or a PTE score of 52-60.
Score High with Leverage Live and land your dream University in the UK!
How to Apply?
To get into the University of Derby, you can apply to UK universities in a number of ways:
- Call our Leverage Edu student counselors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your courses with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder.
- The experts will then commence your application process at the University of Derby through our common dashboard platform where you can witness the status of your application process.
- The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
- After submitting your application and all the necessary documents, the experts will then start with the application process for accommodation, UK students visas, and scholarships/student loans.
- It’s now time to wait for your offer letter which can take around 4-6 weeks or more.
Intakes at University of Derby
The University of Derby has three intakes for international students as mentioned:
- Fall Intake
- Summer Intake
- Spring Intake
Also Read: Intakes in the UK
Here is a quick checklist of all the necessary documents required for admission to the University of Derby as an international student. You must keep these documents handy while applying for admission at the University of Derby.
- All official academic Transcripts and diplomas if any
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations (2) (3)
- Statement of Purpose
- TB Test Certificate
- Financial Evidence
- Portfolio or writing samples if required
Cost of Studying and Living
The cost of studying at the University of Derby ranges from GBP 14,000 to GBP 20,000 (INR 14 lakh to INR 20 lakh). And the cost of living in Derby as an international student can cost up to GBP 1000 (INR 1,02,135) per month.
Check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator
The University of Derby requires students to have a GPA of 2.7 – 3 to secure admission to the University of Derby.
The University of Derby has specific deadlines for different courses. The applications are open up to 2 weeks before the start of the program.
The University of Derby offers more than 300 programs.
Are you planning to study at the University of Derby in the UK? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counseling session today.