Referred to as the gateway to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, Cairns is a city known for its superior educational standards, greeney, and clean environment. Thousands of international students come to Cairns each year to study at one of two globally rated universities, vocational institutions, English-language colleges, secondary schools, or study tour programs. As one of the most vibrant multicultural cities, universities in Cairns offer a range of courses with scholarships, internships and a post-study work visa.
This Blog Includes:
5 Reasons to Study in Cairns
- Cairns is ideal as a university location for students who wish to blend the rich cultural experiences of the local region with the party scene brought to the city by the backpacker community.
- Cairns is a member of the Welcoming Cities Network, which is a national effort that encourages local governments to embrace diversity more fully.
- It has the ideal combination of outstanding educational opportunities, a beautiful climate, a pollution-free environment, and kind friendliness. According to reports, Cairns has a 22 percent lower cost of living than Sydney (data compiled by Expatistan Nov 2017).
- The Regional Council hosts an annual Cairns Multicultural Month to promote diversity and the benefits of living in a culturally varied society, as well as to highlight and celebrate the city’s distinct cultural character.
- It is home to 72 languages, according to the 2016 ABS Census. Three universities are located in Cairns: CQUniversity Cairns, James Cook University Cairns Campus, and Cairns Clinical School.
Also Read: Top Universities in Brisbane
Top Universities & Colleges to Study in Cairns
- CQ University Cairns
- James Cook University Cairns
- Cairns College of English & Business
- EIM International
- International College of Queensland ICQ
- Cairns Clinical School
- TAFE Queensland
Must Read: Best Universities in Queensland
CQ University Cairns
CQ University Cairns is located in the city, making it perfect for students who wish to live in the city while they study. Its curriculum and teaching techniques have been recognized among the finest in the world, and the Cairns campus has about 1,000 students studying a variety of subjects ranging from creative and performing arts to paramedic science. It’s in the heart of the city, with great communication and ties with local businesses, making it an excellent alternative for anybody looking for hands-on experience while studying.
Engineering, education, business and accountancy, IT, nursing, paramedic science, professional communication, public health, tourism, and creative and performing arts are among the fields supported by CQUniversity Australia Cairns. The campus also supports the University’s vast online education courses, which include aviation, accident forensics, digital media, law, psychology, and social work, among others. It’s in the heart of the city, with great communication and ties with local businesses, making it an excellent alternative for anybody looking for hands-on experience while studying.
James Cook University Cairns
James Cook University is a little further away, yet it is in a highly biodiverse environment. This school has roughly 4,000 students, with about 380 of them coming from other countries. Because the school is bordered on three sides by rainforest and mountains, there are some breathtaking vistas to be had. Students may experience the best of both worlds – nature and city life – thanks to a short commute to the city core. The James Cook University Cairns Campus offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs. Bachelor’s degrees in creative arts and media, education, geology, and planning, as well as postgraduate studies in medicine, philosophy, diabetes education, and business administration, are among these options.
Cairns Clinical School
The Cairns Clinical School is a study destination for medical students in their fourth, fifth, or sixth year of study and is affiliated with James Cook University. The school is in a fantastic position for individuals who wish to be in the heart of the city, with the Esplanade and the city just outside their door.
Register Here and Book the Date to avail this opportunity!
You must satisfy the following basic criteria to study in Cairns when applying to any Cairns university:
- The minimum average score of 60-70%% in four academic subjects in Class XII.
- Bachelor’s degrees in any discipline are acceptable (some schools prefer a degree of certificate in business-related fields) with a minimum of 65% for postgraduate courses
- A legitimate GMAT or GRE score(for post-graduate courses), as well as English language competence scores such as IELTS/TOEFL, are also necessary.
- Transcripts of your previous courses
- Competitive exam scorecard
- Photocopy of your passport
- Detailed resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Other important certificates and transcripts
- Australia Student Visa
Students must familiarise themselves with the university calendar and apply for admission wisely because the scorecard is valid for two years.
- In Cairns, universities have two admissions intakes: February and July, with some institutions also providing September and November intakes.
- An application takes 4 to 6 weeks to process, therefore you should apply at least 6 months before the intake date.
- The first step is to apply for a course in Cairns that you want to take. You must submit a separate application to each university if you are applying for courses at several universities.
- Following the completion of your application, you will get a “Letter of Offer” confirming your enrollment offer. In exchange, you must sign and send an acceptance letter to the relevant school.
- You will then receive an eCoE by mail once you have accepted your offer.
- After you’ve submitted your application, the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) will send you an insurance card that covers doctor’s visits, ambulance rides, restricted pharmaceuticals (medication), and hospitalization.
Cost of Studying in Cairns
The cost of tuition in Cairns varies depending on the university you attend. A list of average tuition costs in Cairns is shown below.
|Average Tuition Fees||20,000 to 55,000||9,72,500 to 26,70,000|
Cost of Living in Cairns
In addition to tuition, the cost of studying in Cairns includes transportation, lodging, and other day-to-day expenses. Some of the fees that may be encountered while studying in Cairns include:
|Expense||INR (Per Month)|
Interested in studying at Cairns? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu and kickstart your study abroad journey. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE counseling session today.