Many colleges across India accept applications primarily based on entrance exams like NEET, JEE Mains, CAT, AIBE, NIFT, etc. which make it easier to simplify the admissions process. The Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED) is another commonly held National level entrance examination, conducted by IIT Bombay to offer admission to eligible candidates in the Bachelor’s of Design (B.Design) program at the IITs – IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, and IITDM Jabalpur. It is annually held under the guidance of the UCEED-CEED Implementation Committee. In this blog, we bring you all the information about UCEED 2023, including syllabus, eligibility, pattern and more.
|Full Form||Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED)|
|Conducting Authority||Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours|
|Eligibility||10+2 (Any Stream)|
|Number of Seats||115|
UCEED 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The UCEED exam can be taken by Indians and Foreign nationals if they are eligible based on the following criteria:
- For Candidates who belong to the General/ OBC-NCL/ EWS category: Must be born on or after October 1, 1996.
- For Candidates SC/ ST/ PwD category: Must be born on or after October 1, 1991.
- Candidates can only appear for UCEED for a maximum of two consecutive years.
- Apart from the 12th HSC exams, the following exams also qualify for the UCEED 2023:
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination
- Equivalent of 10+2 exam by Any Public School, Board or University examination recognized by the Association of Indian Universities
- Senior Secondary School Examination by the National Institute of Open Schooling
- Final Exam of the two-year course of NDA’s Joint Services Wing
- H.S.C vocal examination
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (Advanced A Level)
- All India Council for Technical Education or a State Board of Technical Education recognized diploma of a minimum of 3 years
- Cambridge University’s High School Certificate Exam or International Baccalaureate Diploma
- If you have completed class XII or its equivalent outside India from a board not recognized in India, then you have to produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities showing that your exam is qualified equivalent to Indian universities
- If Class XII or its equivalent is not a public examination, then the applicant must have qualified a public exam before either board or pre-university.
Please Note: The UCEED score is only valid for one year and is acceptable for admission only in the corresponding academic year.
Check Out: Designing Courses
UCEED Exam Pattern
For the year 2023, IIT Bombay has announced certain changes in the exam pattern of the UCEED exam. Let us take a quick look at what all is new for this year-
- The total marks of the exam will be 300
- The duration of the exam will be 3 hours and the medium will be English
- The question paper will consist of two parts- Part A and Part B; both are compulsory
- Party will be a Computer based test of 240 marks which has to be completed in a duration of 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- On the other hand, party will be a drawing test of 60 marks which will last for 30 minutes
- The first section will consist of numerical answer type questions that can be answered using the virtual keyboard of the computer screen. Choices will not be given for these questions.
- Section 2 will offer multiple select questions to candidates which will consist of more than one correct answer out of the four given choices.
- Section 3 will have multiple choice questions out of which only one answer will be correct.
Part B of the exam will be a drawing test in which candidates will be asked to answer one question that will gauge their drawing skills. Questions will be presented on the screen and candidates will have to draw the answer on the provided sheet. The answer sheets of this question will be taken from the students at the end of the exam.
UCEED 2023 Reservation
The UCEED exam has certain seats reserved for various categories. The list includes:
|Category||Percentage of Seats|
|Economically Weaker Sections (EWS)||10% seats|
|Other Backward Classes belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL)||27% seats|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15% seats|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5% seats|
Also Read: Career in Fashion Designing
UCEED 2023 Application Process
Here is the application process for applying for the UCEED Exam:
- Students must visit the official site: www.iitb.ac.in/uceed/
- After filling the form, candidates must pay the application fees which are: Rs 3,000 (for General and OBC candidates) and Rs 1,500 (for SC, ST, PwD, and female candidates). Applicants who submit the application fee after the closing date will be charged a late fee of Rs. 500.
- Applicants can then download UCEED admit card from the official website which has all the information such as the candidate’s photograph, name, signature, roll number, exam schedule, exam center address, and instructions.
Candidates applying for the UCEED exam must provide the following documents:
- A recent coloured passport size photo.
- Scanned copy of the applicant’s signature.
- Examination certificate (if any)
- Caste certificates and disability certificates (if any) are necessary to be uploaded.
- Applicants awaiting the qualifying examination results must upload a certificate issued by the principal of the school.
The UCEED exam is constituted of a total of 300 marks and its syllabus is divided into two compulsory parts. Part A consists of 3 sections and Part B consists of only 1 question.
|Part A (240 Marks, 2 hours,20 mins.)||Visualization and Spatial Ability
Observation and Design Sensitivity
Environmental and Social Awareness
Analytical and Logical Reasoning
Language and Creativity
Design Thinking and Problem Solving
|Part B (60 Marks, 30 mins.)||Drawing|
Must Read: Web Designing Course Syllabus
Colleges that Accept UCEED exam
Apart from the IIT campuses mentioned, the following colleges in India also accept UCEED exams :
- World University of Design (WUD)
- UPES School of Design
- Lovely Professional University (LPU)
- JK Lakshmipat University
- Department of Design, Nirma University
- Vishwaniketan Institute of Design
- MIT-WPU School of Design
- Symbiosis School of Planning, Architecture, and Design
- Central Institute of Technology (CIT)
- VIT University
Candidates who are able to fetch the below mentioned marks as per the cut-off can seek admission. Tabulated below are the cut off per category-
|List||Minimum Percentage||Minimum Marks|
|Common Rank List (CRL)||10||100|
|SC Rank List||5||50|
|ST Rank List||5||50|
|OBC-NRL Rank List||9||90|
|PwD Rank List||5||50|
These are the essentials highlights of the UCEED 2023 exam. If you are preparing for any standardised exam to study abroad, approach our experts at Leverage Edu and we will provide you with the mentorship and assistance you need to achieve your dream score. Sign up for a free session with us now!