International scholars at the University of British Columbia, according to the university, can make a big difference in the world. UBC, being one of Canada’s most respected colleges, provides a variety of scholarships each year. One of them is the Karen McKellin UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award. This scholarship or award honours foreign undergraduate students who excel academically, have great leadership qualities, are involved in student affairs and community service, and have demonstrated excellence in other areas. In this blog, we will be covering everything regarding the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award.
|Scholarship Name||Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award|
|Offered By||University of British Columbia|
|Application Deadline||1st December 2021|
|Award Amount||Varies depending upon the financial need of the applicants’|
|International Students Eligible||Yes|
|Scholarship Website Link||https://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/finances/award-search/vancouver/general/awards-financial-services/693|
Grab your lucky chance to Study MBA at the University of British Columbia!
This Blog Includes:
UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award Details
The Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award is a tuition fee waiver award that covers almost all of the student’s tuition and expenses. This is a form of a need-and-merit-based award that honours foreign undergraduate students who excel in academics, leadership, engagement in student affairs, community service, and other recognised achievements. Each award has a different value, which is determined by the applicant’s financial situation and course expenses. The prizes are given to students who are starting their first year of undergraduate studies at UBC.
Note: A student’s financial need is assessed by adding their tuition fees and living costs together, then removing their and their family’s financial contributions to the study each year.
Here’s an interesting read on University of British Columbia Acceptance Rate!
UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award Eligibility
Applicants must meet all of the following conditions to be considered for the Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award. You must be:
- An international student with a Canadian study permit who will be studying in Canada.
- Transferring from a recognised high school or from your first year at a post-secondary college or another university to attend UBC
- Graduated from high school no more than two years before the academic year for which you are applying. For example, applicants for the class of 2022, must have graduated from high school no sooner than June 2020
- Pursuing your first bachelor’s degree in UBC
- Having a high level of academic accomplishment
- Demonstrating a financial necessity that would keep the applicant from studying in Canada otherwise
- Fulfilling all of UBC’s entrance standards, including the English Language Admission Standard and general and degree-specific requirements
Note: Applicants should be aware that if they are nominated for a Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award, they will be ineligible for any merit-based awards offered by the university, such as International Major Entrance Scholarships and other awards such as the Outstanding International Student Awards.
How to Apply?
The following is the application procedure for applying for the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award for aspirants:
- First and foremost, decide the academic program you want to study, and the UBC campus you want to choose.
- After choosing the academic program and the campus of your choice, submit your application for UBC International Leader of Tomorrow.
- To be considered for the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award, you must be nominated by your school or non-profit organisation and submit a letter of recommendation from an academic referee. Confirm that your school or non-profit can nominate you, and let your nominator and academic referee know that you want to apply for the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award.
- Obtain the necessary financial information, as well as notes on any extracurricular activities and prizes.
- Last but not least, you must complete this form to apply for the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award.
Know everything about the UBC Sauder School of Business!
- December 1, 2021: Applicants must have completed an online application for admission to UBC as well as an application for the Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award. Although candidates can mention two-degree options in their application, the International Scholars Program will only evaluate the first one.
- January 31, 2022: Meet UBC’s English Language Admission Standard for direct entrance or the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award’s English language requirement, which is provided below:
|ELP Tests||Minimum Score Required|
|IELTS||6.5 (no section below 6.0)|
|PTE (Academic)||Overall: 65Reading: 60Listening: 60Writing: 60Speaking: 60|
|TOEFL||Overall: 90Reading: 22Listening: 22Writing: 21Speaking: 21|
- Mid-April: The results will be declared and Nominees will be informed for the awards.
Aspiring to study in Canada? Here’s an interesting read on Studying in Vancouver for International Students and aspirants!
Students are given scholarships based on their academic achievement and financial need. The Karen McKellin UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award awardees are also chosen based on the following criteria:
- Involvement in the student affairs
- Contribution to community service
- Achievement in athletics, performing art, creative writing or debating
- Leadership skills
Important Note: To be considered for a scholarship, you must first apply for a qualifying programme at UBC and complete the application form that comes with it within the deadlines.
Know about the University of British Columbia Notable Alumni!
International students are still supported by UBC through a range of in-program scholarships and prizes. The amount of a scholarship or award, as well as whether or not it may be renewed, will vary — the greatest sum at present is around $5,000 each year.
Karen Mckellin is the Executive Director of the prestigious University of British Columbia in Canada.
Applicants following the American school curriculum must submit a composite SAT score of at least 1,600 or an ACT score of at least 25, as well as a writing sample (minimum 10). Applicants must fulfil both general and program-specific criteria. Admission to UBC is tough because the university gets many more applicants than it can accept.
To date, the University of British Columbia has awarded 500+ scholars since 2002 with the prestigious Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award
The last date to submit all the necessary and important documents for this award is 31st January 2022.
This was all the necessary and relevant information that you should be knowing about the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award. Are you planning to study in Canada in 2022? Since the January intake in Canada is about to end, you shouldn’t be wasting any more of your time. Call our Leverage Edu experts today on 1800572000 and kickstart your study abroad journey in no time!