Daughter of the two legendary actors, Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia, Twinkle Khanna was all set to inherit the tag of a leading actress of Bollywood. But Twinkle Khanna not only became that but also a well-known Indian author, columnist, film producer and interior designer. Her wit and humour and her no qualms attitude are what makes her so admirable. She is known for witty tweets (find her on Twitter @mrsfunnybones). Truly, she is an icon for the women of this Century. But this isn’t all that you know about Twinkle Khanna. there is much more to her life and her journey so far. In this Leverage Edu blog, we will trace her journey and talk about certain lesser-known facts about her. Interested to know more? Well, then you must continue reading!
Born on 29 December 1974, Mumbai, Twinkle Khanna is the daughter of superstars Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia. Her father Rajesh Khanna was born in Amritsar, Punjab who went on to become on the most famous bollywood heros of all time. She is also the niece of Simple Kapadia, an actress and costume designer and has a younger sister, Rinke Khanna.
Twinkle Khanna completed her schooling from the New Era High School, Panchgani and went to Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics for further studies. After finishing her Class 12th, she was very inclined towards pursuing a career in chartered accountancy and therefore appeared for the entrance exam of the same. However, eventually she joined the film industry on her parent’s insistence.
Twinkle Khanna got married to Bollywood Actor Akshay Kumar on 17th January 2001 and became a parent to Aarav and daughter, Nitara soon after. Akshay and Twinkle share a beautiful bond both on and off screen, and Akshay even credits Twinkle for his successes. She is famous for a lot of her works in the industry. She has judged Femina Miss India as well.
Twinkle Khanna is truly one of those women, we aspire to be. Be it her bold remarks or her upfront attitude, she has always spoken about things that bother her. All of us know her for her movies and books, but little do we know about her life besides all of this.
- In 2002, Twinkle Khanna launched her interior designing showroom in Mumbai, known as “The White Window”. For this project, she partnered with her friend Gurlein Manchanda. What is truly striking is the fact that although she does not hold a professional degree in architecture, she worked with an architect for two years to understand the dynamics of this field. Her learning spirit has no end.
- She has been honoured with multiple titles through the years of her film journey. In 1996, she was awarded the “Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut” for her movie “Barsaat”. In 2010, she won the “Hello! Hall of Fame Award for Most Stylish Couple of the Year” alongside Akshay Kumar.
- She has starred in multiple movies thus creating a mark for herself in the industry.
- As a producer, she was honoured with the “National Film Award for Best Film on Social Issue” for “Padman” in 2019 which starred Akshay Kumar and Sonam Kapoor in the lead roles.
- In 2016, she won the “Outlook Social Media Award” for “Inspiring woman of the Year”. Thus, adding another feather to her hat.
- In 2017, she was honoured with the Vogue Opinion Maker of the Year Award.
Books by Twinkle Khanna
Her achievements are endless. She has been accredited with multiple honours for the books that she has authored as well. Listed below are some of her works:
Awards and Accolades
- She won the Crossword Popular Non-Fiction Award for Mrs Funnybones in 2016 and Crossword Popular Fiction Award for Pyjamas are Forgiving in 2019.
- She won the Writer of the Year Award from India Today in 2017 for her work ‘The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad’
“Women aren’t like faucets that one twirl, you turn them on and everything gushes. It takes effort.” Twinkle has always been vocal about her views and opinions. She never fails to take a stand for what she thinks is correct and that is something that makes her impeccable. She has been seen actively advocating women’s rights on multiple occasions.
Time and again, we have seen Twinkle talking about menstrual hygiene. She spoke about menstrual hygiene on the BBC world Impact show where she was invited as a speaker. She partnered with Save the Children to promote the right to menstrual hygiene among children and slum communities. She has also been invited as a guest speaker at the University of Oxford in 2018 and to be a part of an eminent panel at the United Nations, New York. In 2019, Twinkle Khanna launched Tweak, which is a bilingual digital media platform designed for women.
So, this was about Twinkle Khanna and her journey. Truly, a feminist icon and an inspiration for the Gen Z. Her no-nonsense attitude is what makes her personality truly remarkable. For more such content, stay connected to Leverage Edu!