The enchanting land of Switzerland is renowned as the choicest study destination in Europe and is home to internationally distinguished universities and top-notch academic programs. For international students wishing to study in universities of Switzerland, financial resources can be a potential limitation but to provide students with the opportunity to study and acquire knowledge, the country’s government offers Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships to aspiring students across the globe. This blog brings you a detailed guide on Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships and their essential criteria, application process and more.
This Blog Includes:
What are the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships?
Each year the Confederation of Switzerland identifies students from every nook and corner of the world who have innate potential and award them scholarships to facilitate their academic journey in the various Universities in Switzerland. Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are a group of scholarships awarded to international students from 180 nations for masters or research degrees in Switzerland. The aim of these scholarships is to promote international cooperation and students’ exchange by allowing students from different countries to reside and study in Switzerland.
The Scholarships are fully-funded and allow the awarded students to continue their master’s course or research in Switzerland without any substantial cost. It helps students belonging from different nations overcome their financial hurdles and earn a degree from a lauded university in Switzerland. Enlisted below are the expenses that are covered under the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships.
- Tuition Fees
- Accommodation Costs
- Research Fund
- Monthly Stipends
- Travel Expenses or Flight Tickets
Types of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
Knowing about the major streams for which the scholarships are offered can help a student decide whether they are eligible for the scholarship or not. Majorly two types of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are awarded to international students which are mentioned below.
- Art Scholarships: These are open for international students desirous of pursuing a master’s degree in Arts from any Swiss Conservatory or University.
- Research Scholarships: These are open for postgraduate research scholars who wish to undertake research in any field at the doctoral or post-doctoral level. Candidates have to be nominated by the mentors of a higher educational institution of Switzerland to be considered for the scholarships.
Before applying for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships, it is of vital importance to be aware of the eligibility requirements a student has to meet to be considered for the scholarship. Due to a large number of applicants, winning the scholarship can get competitive, and therefore it is imperative to have an idea about the prerequisites to enhance one’s chances of getting selected. Mentioned below are the criteria on the basis of which an applicant is evaluated before being offered the scholarship.
- The candidate’s academic records and professional resume is a key point of assessment.
- Quality and importance of the research being undertaken or the aesthetic value of the art project (for Arts Scholarships).
- Potential for future cooperation with the country at different levels and platforms.
- International students would also have to demonstrate their English proficiency and fluency by undertaking a standardized English proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
Application Procedure for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
After understanding the criteria for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships, the next most important step is to be familiar with the application process. Knowing the application process helps the students in applying for the scholarship in time and eases the process. Mentioned below is the application procedure organized systematically for a better understanding of the students.
- Release of the list of programs based on each country.
- Call for proposals for perusal by the committee.
- Submission deadline based on the program and the country of the applicant
- After a long process of evaluation, the selected candidates are informed following which the scholarship is awarded as the academic session starts for the particular course chosen by students.
We hope this blog has provided in-depth knowledge about the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships. Are you planning to explore for scholarships to study in Switzerland? Our Leverage Edu experts are here to help you in selecting the right scholarship as per your chosen course and university and sorting out the application process to ensure that you get successfully selected. Register for a free session today!