Located in Central Europe, Slovenia is a country which is popularly known for its mountains, ski resorts and lakes. The town of Bled in Slovenia comprises a church-topped islet and a cliffside medieval castle. Slovenia’s capital is known as Ljubljana where baroque facades blend with the 20th-century architecture of native Jože Plečnik. If you plan to pursue your studies in Slovenia, you will love its suitable environment, part of the land of the Alps and part of the shore. Slovenia, which has been a part of the European Union since 2004, is also a constituent of the Schengen region and the eurozone countries. This makes Slovenia a perfect choice for foreign students who wish to pursue university education whilst exploring the rest of Europe.
This Blog Includes:
Cost of Studying in Slovenia
The education fees for candidates from EU Member States is funded mostly by the Ministry of Higher Education. Students just have to pay the entrance fee in the first year and succeeding years.
- International students representing non-EU countries are expected to pay a complete education fees in Slovenia, unless:
- You are an international citizen who is a Slovene except Slovene citizenship but who also holds a scholarship from the Ministry of Higher Education.
- You are an exchange student between institutions of higher education, or
- You are overseas nationals living indefinitely in Slovenia, or you or your parents are taxpayers living in Slovenia.
- You are foreign nationals from one of the nations with which Slovenia has signed related bilateral treaties.
Below, you will find the details of cost of studying, tuition fees, cost of living in the Slovenian cities for a better insight for you to study in Slovenia.
Tuition Fees for Various Programs in Slovenia
|Tuition Fee for Undergraduate Programs (Full-time)||Social Science Courses||Technical Studies, Arts and Natural Science Courses|
|The tuition fee is about $1,500 (which is about 1,09,638 INR approximately) for one year||The tuition fee is about $2,000 (which is about 1,50,100 INR approximately) for one year|
|Tuition Fees for Master’s Programs||Social Science Courses||Arts Studies, Technical Courses and Natural Science Courses|
|The Tuition Fees is about $2,250 (which is about 1,65,000 INR approximately) for one year||The tuition fees is about $3,000 (which is about 21,20,000 INR approximately) for one year|
|Tuition fees for Doctoral Studies||Social Science Courses||Arts Studies, Technical Courses and Natural Science Courses|
|The tuition fee to be paid is about $4,500 (which is about 32,25,000 INR approximately)||The tuition fees is about $6,000 (which is about 43,85,000 INR approximately)|
Students should consider paying between 550 and 600 euros a month, including lodging, travel, food and research materials.
Breakdown of Monthly Living Costs in Slovenia:
- Food: EUR 200 per month
- Costs of Housing:
- College Dorms/Residence Hall: €80 to – €120 per month
- Individual Lodging Costs: € 150 – € 250 per month (which depends on the location and amenities)
- Expenses of Travel using an Urbana Public Transit Card would be 20 EUR for a month.
Must Read: Cheapest Study Abroad Programs
Requirements to Study in Slovenia
The criteria for entry to study in Slovenia may vary from program to program, but certain specific instructions may be specified. The fundamental admissions prerequisite for undergraduate years is the Matura (Maturitetno spričevalo) test. Undergraduate degrees run for 4 to 6 years and end with a diploma examination.
Upon satisfactory completion of the test, the recipient earns a diploma and a technical designation. This undergraduate diploma allows students to learn even more at the post-graduate stage or to join the employment market. For those who want to get an understanding of the different criteria, the following sections can be beneficial:
Language Proficiency Requirements
Slovene Language Proficiency
Foreign students must show their standard of Slovene competence, which usually corresponds to the level of European Standard B2. Apply a Certificate of Slovene Language proficiency in Slovene as a Second Language.
Competency of English Language
If the course of study is in English, candidates are expected to show their level of competency in English. The grades of the English language exams are acknowledged as follows:
There are two forms of residency permits, so depending on length of your study, you could choose:
- Temporary residency visa: you qualify for that kind of permit once you have a proven reason of residency in Slovenia. If you satisfy the requirements, the permit shall be issued for a specified period of time (not more than one year). You shall extend and under the same terms as you have been given,
- Permanent residency permit: you qualify for this permission after such a defined, consistent and legal time of residency in Slovenia. It is provided without restriction of length and you also do not need to indicate the intent of permanent residency in Slovenia in the submission.
Documentation to Study in Slovenia
Following documents must be submitted:
- Application form
- Educational Certificates which comprises of Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Bachelor’s Degree (for Master’s Degree), Master’s Degree (for Doctorate and PhD programs), and other certificate copies
- Language Certificates: Slovenian Language and/or English Language
- Identification Document: Certificate of citizenship or any other valid personal identity card copy
- A valid copy of your passport
- Evidence of adequate funds to study in the Republic of Slovenia
- Recommendation letter: At least 2 recommendation letter from your home educational institution or recent employer
- Professional experience certificate, if any
- Research proposal synopsis: For doctoral studies
- Portfolio of work (for artistic studies)
- A statement that must include your interests, brief educational history, professional experience (if any), reasons for applying to the study programme and the institution, and your academic and career goals.
Application Process to Study in Slovenia
The application procedure for EU/EEA students would be the same for Slovene students.
- These candidates are included in the allocation for Slovene students. Foreign students from non-EU nations are expected to receive a residency permit prior to entering Slovenia.
- Consequently, studying places for overseas students and Slovene students without Slovene citizenship are established. Slovenia must officially accept international credentials.
- The records of the educational documentation can be registered at the notary or at the Slovene embassies.
- Students must fill out the application form and submit everything including the necessary documentation to the selected Slovenian institution of higher education. In most instances, students will complete the form online and send it digitally to the institution. Students should also submit the application form from its selected organization’s site, finish it, print that out and submit it to the university.
Under the Slovenian Higher Education Act, institutions of higher education shall announce the date of pre-enrolment for undergraduate years at least 6 months before the beginning of the new educational term; and institutions of higher education must announce the deadline of pre-enrolment at least 3 months well before beginning of the new academic year.
In particular, there are 3 registration deadlines and special rules for institutions of higher education in Slovenia:
- February to March
- In the month of August
- In the month of October
Top Universities in Slovenia
- University of Ljubljana
- University of Nova Gorica
- Vysoká Škola Zdravotníctva A Sociálnej Práce Sv. Alžbety
- IEDC Bled School of Management
- University of Maribor
Must Read: Top Universities in the World
Student Life in Slovenia
As a student in Slovenia, you’re getting all sorts of offers on several events. Sports are very common, and that you can join the sports facilities, volleyball clubs and sports teams at an inexpensive price. Language courses and photography workshops are also offered on a limited budget. Most universities have student organizations with international links, which encourage you to attend various seminars or seminars and also to travel somewhat.
We expect that this guide will be sufficient to provide you with all the information you need about researching in Greece. Are you dreaming about studying in Greece? Get in touch with Leverage Edu experts to get the best advice you want to get to your dream university. Register for a free session with us now!