Spread across 2 continents, Russia is the largest country in the world! The picturesque landscapes, rich culture, exquisite monuments, various UNESCO world heritage sites, and a jaw-dropping collection of Matryoshka [stacking] dolls attracts scores of tourists every year. Being a part of an array of international and regional organizations like SCO, BRICS, NSG, etc, Russia has also etched its name in the leading economies of the world. Further, with the investments it has made in the education sector and the emphasis it has laid on research in STEM courses, the country has become a popular study abroad destination for students. Not only do Russian universities offer scores of degree and short term courses, but also provide state of the art facilities, modern infrastructure, and innumerable career opportunities to those who want to study in Russia.
So, if you are planning to pursue higher education in the land which has produced leaders like Leo Tolstoy, Maria Sharapova, and Yuri Gagarin, then here is a blog that will shed light on the important details regarding the application process of universities in Russia!
This Blog Includes:
- Reasons to Pursue Higher Education in Russia
- How Much Does it Cost to Study in Russia?
- Application Process
- Entrance Exams to Study in Russia
- Student Visa
- Popular Courses to Study in Russia
- Top Universities to Study in Russia
- Popular Careers and Jobs
- Student Life in Russia
- List of Student Friendly Cities
Reasons to Pursue Higher Education in Russia
- 25 out of the 766 Russian universities have made their way into the QS 2020 World University list.
- Tuition and living costs are affordable in comparison to other famous countries like the US, UK, etc.
- The international students who wish to study in Russia can choose from a list of 657 subjects spanning across 205 fields at undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate levels.
- The Russian Government offers a fixed amount of state-funded scholarships [quotas/spots] to international students across various disciplines every year.
- A lot of courses are also offered in the English language to international students who wish to study in Russia.
- The inter-governmental agreements Russia has established with scores of countries like India, France, Malta, Nambia, etc, offer an opportunity to students to obtain Dual Diplomas across many fields.
- With a comprehensive curriculum and affordable tuition fees, pursuing MBBS in Russia is also a very popular option.
- Universities in Russia also place emphasis on overall development and thus offer different types of co curricular activities like swimming, tennis, ice hockey, weightlifting, etc.
How Much Does it Cost to Study in Russia?
The first thing that strikes our mind while deciding the place for pursuing overseas education is the cost of study. Apart from the tuition fees, an individual also needs to keep the accommodation and living expenses in the picture. So, if you are planning to study in Russia, here is what you need to know:
|Study Level||Tuition Fees (per year)|
|Undergraduate||1,20,000-8,80,000 rubles [Rs 1,31,500 – Rs 9,64,200]|
|Specialist Programs||1,20,000-6,33,000 rubles [Rs 1,31,500 – Rs 6,93,500]|
|Postgraduate||1,47,000-4,60,000 rubles [Rs 1,60,000 – Rs 5,04,000]|
|PhD||79,300-4,13,000 rubles [Rs 87000 – Rs 4,50,000]|
|University Dormitories||500-5,000 rubles [Rs 600- Rs 6,000]|
*The dormitory charges can vary based on the university.
|Apartments||The cost will vary heavily based on the city you choose. For instance, the accommodation charges in Moscow will be higher in comparison to that of Novosibirsk.|
|Food||8,000-10,000 rubles [Rs 8700 – Rs 11,000] per month|
|Internet||In dormitories, it’s free. In the case of rented apartments, one needs to spend close to around 300-500 rubles [Rs 330 – Rs 550]|
|Transport||405 rubles [Rs 450] per month|
Note: The other expenses can further vary based on factors like the city, choice of meal, internet service provider, etc.
Requirements to Study in Russia
- Higher Secondary School Marksheets
- Birth Certificate
- A valid passport with 18 months validity
- 4 passport size photographs
- University Transcripts
- Statement of Purpose [SOP], Letter of Recommendation [LOR]
- Fee Receipt
- HIV test report
- Complete application form (form will be issued by either Rossotrudnichestvo office or from the desired university)
- You can submit your application online. Please make sure that you fill all the details carefully and correctly. Moreover, you should have documents in the digital form too.
- While most of the universities lay more emphasis on academic records/SOP/LORs, there are some courses in Russia for which you have to appear for competitive exams.
- You can apply for a student visa only after your admission is confirmed.
Entrance Exams to Study in Russia
As discussed, to take admission in some educational universities in Russia, you will be required to clear the entrance exams. Given below is a flowchart that explains the process in detail:
Visa and passport are the general requirements to study in Russia. When it comes to the student visa, you have to send the application to the Russian Embassy/Consulate/Authorised Centres in your home country. It is important to note that the Application fee can vary based on the country you apply from but the cost for applying for a 1-year extension is 1,600 roubles. Glance through the following points to understand the process better:
- The visa is issued for a duration of 3 months.
- On expiration, you need to send a renewal application to the General Administration for Migration Issues [Interior Ministry of Russia].
- Once accepted, you will be issued a 1-year long visa which allows multiple entries in Russia.
- After 1 year, you have to apply for an extension. This has to be repeated every year until the end of the course.
Documents for Visa
- A valid passport or Identification card with a validity of 18 months
- A medical certificate to show that you’re not affected by any disease. (especially HIV negative report)
- Application Form
- Letter of acceptance
- Passport size photographs
- If you’re below the age of 18, a consent form signed by parents/guardians is also needed.
Popular Courses to Study in Russia
The Universities of Russia offer a wide range of courses in a diverse number of fields. If you are planning to study in Russia, you can easily find one which meets all your requirements and interests. Here is a list of top courses offered by Russian Universities:
- Bachelor in International Economics and Business
- Bachelor in Computer Science
- Bachelor in Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science
- Bachelor in Design
- BSc in Software Engineering
- Undergraduate International Relations
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre
- MA in Political Philosophy
- Master in International Management
- Master of Science in Space and Engineering Systems
- Master of Science in Data Science
- Master in Food Biotechnology
- Master in International Trade and Entrepreneurship
- Master of Science in Information Science and Technology
Top Universities to Study in Russia
With full-time, part-time, extramural, and distance learning programs available, Russian universities are revered for the quality education they offer. Not just limited to STEM courses, the country is also known for its programs offered in the field of Computer Science, Business Management, Banking and Finance, Nanotechnology, etc. Enlisted are some of the top universities you can consider if you have decided to study in Russia:
- Ural Federation University
- Saint Petersburg State University
- HSE, National Research University
- Tomsk State University
- Novosibirsk State University
- Bauman Moscow State Technical University
- Lomonosov Moscow State University
- Kazan State Medical University
- Peoples’ Federation University of Russia
- Orenburg State Medical University
When you are planning to study in Russia, the one thing that might hinder your plan is financial constraints. But you don’t have to worry because there are certain Scholarships that are given by both the government and Universities across Russia to fund its international students. So, you can avail any of these if you have made your mind about studying in Russia:
- Government of Russian Federation Scholarships
- The School of Russian and Asian Studies (SRAS)
- Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarships
- BP in Russia Research Scholarships
- American Councils Scholarships
- Open Doors: Russian Scholarship Project
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT)
- HSE University
- Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University
- Tomsk State University
Popular Careers and Jobs
After completing your study in Russia, you will be looking for job opportunities to earn a living there. Given below are some sectors where international students find the most number of opportunities. So, you can explore the options, find where you fit in and make a career for yourself in it.
|Retail||INR 2,22,422 (224,000 RUB)|
|Tourism||INR 68,721 (63,900 RUB)|
|Health||INR 1,53,928 (155,000 RUB)|
|Education||INR 1,30,103 (131,000 RUB)|
The major companies which offer employment opportunities to students are given below.
- Microsoft Russia
- Google Russia
- Siemens Russia
- Russian Railways
- BMW Russia
Student Life in Russia
If you have decided to study in Russia, you must know what a student’s life in Russia is like. So, to give an idea, let’s have a look at the different facets of a students experience while studying in Russia:
- Russia today is almost at the center of the Educational world and therefore people from across the world go there to pursue higher education. So, first of all you will never feel like an outsider. And also because of such international student inflow, you can easily find the cuisines of your home country in Russia. So, you can find the flavours of your home country in Russia.
- If you love to travel, then both rural and urban landscapes of Russia can be ideal locations to explore and understand the cultural heritage of Russia. Every city in Russia has its own attractions. For instance, the Culture heritage of Moscow and Saint Petersburg, the natural beauty of Nizhny Novgorod and Yekaterinburg.
- You will get ample opportunities to study Russian during your study in Russia. Initially it might be a bit tough for you to carry on with the normal everyday conversations in the beginning but with time you will start to understand the language and then it will get pretty easy for you.
- Full time students in Russia are given a lot of additional benefits like transportation tarifs, various discounts in availing business and other services. Also, you get a student discount at museums, and some heritage sites.
List of Student Friendly Cities
In Russia, educational institutions are spread across the country but there are some cities which have the highest number of Universities and therefore are preferred the most by students. Also, these cities are student friendly in a sense that they offer essential services like transportation, food outlets and an adequate cultural environment. So, if you are planning to study in Russia then these might be the ideal locations to choose from.
- Saint Petersburg
- Nizhny Novgorod
The academic system of Russia is bifurcated into 2 semesters. The classes of 1st term commence on 1st September and ends around 30th January. On the other hand, the 2nd semester begins in February and ends in June.
Yes, International students can work while studying in Russia. If you want to work on a contractual basis then no permit will be needed. But for other cases, a permit is issued to only those who are enrolled in a full-time program in government-accredited universities.
Every year, on 1st October, the Russian universities announce their application dates and the process begins in early June. It is important for prospective international students to go through the dates of the institute as the process takes a bit longer for foreign nationals. For some universities, you have to start applying as early as February.
With the aim of offering quality education to all within the country and across barriers, there are many programmes in Russian universities for which you do not require IELTS score.
Hence, the scope of pursuing higher education in Russia is immense. Needless to say, due to the availability of an array of degree programs and universities, choosing the right combination can be a tad difficult. Take the assistance of the counsellors at Leverage Edu who will not only help you choose the right subject combination but will also guide in completing application formalities.