Mauritius is a country located in the Indian Ocean which is best known for its white beaches, reefs and fascinating forests. It is one of the best countries to pursue an education at an affordable price in South Asia. The country has developed one of the finest education systems that have led to students enrolling in universities from various parts of the world. With almost half of its population practising the Hindu religion, by studying in Mauritius, you can fulfil your dream of attaining overseas education by experiencing less cultural shock. Do you want to know more such exciting elements about how you can study in Mauritius? If yes, then let us move forward with the blog.
This Blog Includes:
Popular Universities in Mauritius
Choosing the right universities overseas is a pivotal step towards a successful career. Mauritius is home to many top universities which have been globally recognised as centres delivering high-end education in various fields and providing globally recognised degrees to the aspirants. The top-notch institutions in the country are equipped with international research centres which are ideal to carry-out research in leading domains. Listed below are some renowned universities in Mauritius-
- Open University of Mauritius
- Middlesex University
- Amity Institute of Higher Education
- The University of Technology, Mauritius
- Charles Telfair Institute
- Whitefield Business School
- Elite Business School
- University of the Mascareignes
- Mauritius Institute of Training and Development
- SUPINFO International University
- Anna Medical College and Research Centre
Why Study in Mauritius?
It is the most common question put up by students who want to study in Mauritius. Despite white sand beaches and blue waters, currently, Mauritius is home to world-famous universities and medical schools. Though it seems an island of aesthetics, it never fails to surprise the world with its innovations and discoveries. It provides world-class and internationally recognised education followed by affordable living costs for international students. Below we have listed some of the top reasons why one should pursue their future educational endeavours in Mauritius.
No Language Barriers
Most of the courses in Mauritius are taught in English and French, thus, international students do not face any major issues while communicating and learning in the classes. Due to this fact, candidates are exempted from qualifying English language proficiency courses like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
Quality Education System
You will get the opportunity to experience world-class education in Mauritius. The education system in Mauritius is developed as per the one followed in the UK that is regarded as no less than the best education system in the world. Primary and secondary education follows the pattern of 3+6+5+2 and tertiary education can be pursued at levels like Bachelor’s, Masters and Doctorate.
Students often experience cultural shock whilst studying abroad. But you may not experience the same once you fly to study in Mauritius. Similarities across the traditions and cultures of both countries can be seen vividly. Hindi along with some other regional languages of India are fluently spoken in Mauritius.
Work While Studying
Often students opt to work when they are attaining higher education overseas to efficiently manage their finances. If you also would like to work while studying, then Mauritius can be a suitable option for you as it allows the students to work 20 hours per week.
Mauritius does not suffer extreme weather conditions. It is an island, thus, continuing to have a balanced weather condition all around the year making it suitable for living.
Intakes in Mauritius
Being aware of the intakes before planning to study in any country is a smart move to avoid mistakes while filling the application form for a particular university. To get closer to your dream of studying in Mauritius, the country opens its courses two times a year, i.e, Fall and Winter Intakes. Out of both, Fall intake is known to be the prominent one in the country. The majority of these courses are available in the fall intake. But you can also enter the country through winter intakes if your chosen course is open.
|Fall Intake – September||December||Undergraduate/Postgraduate Courses|
|Winter Intake – January||May||Undergraduate/Postgraduate Courses|
Eligibility Requirements for Indian Students to Study in Mauritius
Earning a degree in Mauritius is not that demanding. You are not required to present the scores of common entrance exams like IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT, GRE or SAT exam. Listed below are some of the crucial eligibility requirements as well as necessary documents for Indian students to study in Mauritius.
- Academic transcripts including senior secondary mark sheets if applying for bachelor’s course
- Marksheet of UG course if applying for a Master’s course
- Passport-size photographs
- Copies of your passport (personal details and photo ID page)
- Latest CV
- Proof of Financial Resources
- Motivation letter (optional)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- Other important transcript or documents
PhD in Mauritius
PhD in Mauritius is offered by one university in the country i.e. Unicaf University in Port Louis, Mauritius. The PhD course is available in both full-time and part-time duration. These courses are taken in English. Here are the courses offered under PhD in Mauritius:
- PhD in Accounting and Finance
- PhD in Information and Technology
- PhD in Marketing Management
Cost of Studying in Mauritius
Mauritius is a country with an affordable education rate and living expenses, and hence, it is one of the major reasons that lead to pursuing a course in the country. The fee structure and other educational expenses depend upon the chosen university to study in Mauritius.
- The native students and international students pay the same amount of fees both in public and private universities.
- Tuition Fees for an undergraduate program in Mauritius ranges from MUR 150,000 ()2,80,000) to MUR 350,000 (INR 6,50,000) if you go on for a common UG course in Science, Arts and Management.
- On the other hand, tuition fees for a postgraduate program in Mauritius range between MUR 130,000 (INR 2,50,000) to MUR 600,000 (INR 11,50,000) per year.
- Apart from this, the major cost to be taken into account is accommodation expenses, food and other miscellaneous charges.
- Accommodation costs can vary as per the choices made. Staying on the university campus or in the outskirts will cost you less as compared to living in a city and renting an apartment on your own. However, from your budget of education in Mauritius, you may spend around MUR 11,910- MUR 19,850( INR 22,000- 37,000). An additionally MUR 1000(INR 1800) will be needed for other miscellaneous expenditures in the country.
Scholarships Offered in Mauritius
There are numerous scholarship programs either granted by the universities in Mauritius or independent organizations through which you can study in Mauritius. These scholarships help in cutting down the educational expense and living costs while staying in the country. Also holding a scholarship also brightens up the CV that works wonders during the placement activities. Some of the major scholarships granted in Mauritius are mentioned below.
- Educational Future International Scholarship 2021
- Sir Ratanji Dalal Research Scholarship
- Bayer Science and Education Foundation- Jeff Schell Scholarships
- Bayer Science and Educational Foundation- International Fellowship
- Kieth And Dorothy Mackay Postgraduate Travelling Scholarship 2020
- Banting International Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021
- MobilitySeeker Outdoor Sports Scholarships 2020
- IELTS Test Free Scholarship 2020
- Houtan Scholarships 2020
- Dr Edouard Delcroix Prize 2019
- DNP Foundation For Cultural Promotion Graphic Culture research Grant 2020
- Gordon Signy Fellowships 2021
Visa Application Process
For the students who wish to study in Mauritius, a student/study visa is available. The requirements for the student/study visa for Mauritius are as follows-
- VISA application form and valid passport
- 2 Passport-sized photographs (latest)
- Photocopy of the bio-data pages of the passport
- Original letter of admission
- Details of the duration of the course from the Tertiary Education Commission stating whether the course in full or part time
- A medical certificate mentioning that the candidate is not suffering from any contagious disease
Thus, we hope after reading this blog you have learned various specifications regarding how you can study in Mauritius. Are you planning to study abroad in top universities? Let the experts at Leverage Edu help you throughout the admission process. Book an appointment now to enter the world of your dream college. Good luck.