Australia, sometimes known as the Lands Down Under, is one of the most popular study locations for international students. With the incredible educational and professional exposure it offers, the country is a thriving destination for students. From quality education, expert faculty, and a wide range of programs to immense research and 4-year long work visa and affordable tuition costs, the country has it all. Here is your exclusive guide on how to study in Australia after 12th and all the information you need on universities, scholarships, and the application process!
This Blog Includes:
- 5 Reasons to Study in Australia
- Popular Intakes in Australia
- Eligibility to Study in Australia
- Top Universities to Study in Australia After 12th
- Top Fields to study in Australia after 12th
- Best Diploma Courses to Study in Australia after 12th
- Best Undergraduate Courses to Study in Australia
- Cost of Studying in Australia
- Scholarships in Australia
- How to get a Study VISA for Australia?
5 Reasons to Study in Australia
Australia is a popular choice for students who want to study abroad. Australia is a preferred destination for Indian students because:
- Tuition fee and general expenditure in Australia is lower as compared to USA and UK. This makes the country budget friendly and economical for international students from across the world.
- Australian education has global recognition and allows international students to work anywhere in the world after getting a degree from the country.
- Availability of a variety of courses at undergraduate and diploma levels. From Accounting to Zoology, students can study any course. Universities offer short-term courses and long term courses in culinary arts, graphic design, law etc
- Job opportunities in Australia are tremendous, the market can be competitive yet the country allows students to study in the country upto 4 years and build an international career path.
- Life in Australia is multicultural with cities like Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne ranked consistently in the list of top 10 most liveable cities in the world. It’s sunny beaches, rocky treks and unique wildlife make the country an adventurous destination.
Popular Intakes in Australia
Candidates interested in studying in Australia can choose between two major intakes provided by universities: February and July. The February intake is the most important for Australian universities since most programs are offered and most overseas students apply at this time. There are other intakes like September and November intake that allow students to opt for vocational courses.
|Multiple intakes||September & November|
Eligibility to Study in Australia
Candidates must have passed 12th grade with a minimum of 65 percent marks for various bachelor’s courses in Australian colleges and universities. Candidates having lower than 60 percent marks can apply for various diploma and foundation courses.
Required Examinations to Study in Australia After 12th
Candidates must showcase their proficiency in the English language because all the training and education will be done in the English language. In most of the Australian institutes, the prerequisite for admission is a good score in the following exams:
These are the main exams for language proficiency. Qualifying one or multiple of these exams may be required according to different institutions. The required score for each exam varies according to the course in which the candidate wants to enroll into. You should give your best on these exams and then apply according to your scores.
The important documents required to study in Australia after the 12th are listed below:
- Copies of 10th, 11th, and 12th class mark sheets
- English Language Proficiency Certificate
- Passport size photographs
- Letter of Recommendation (May be asked by universities)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Resume or CV
- Receipt of Application Fee paid
- Portfolio (Required for Architecture and Art Courses)
Examinations for Undergraduate Courses
Some of the examinations are domain-specific which means that they test the candidate’s ability according to the related domain such as medical, engineering, commerce, etc. Major entrance exams for undergraduate courses are listed below:
- Special Tertiary Admission Test (STAT): It is an aptitude test that includes verbal, quantitative, and reasoning sections.
- Australian Medical School Entrance Exams: These exams include testing of candidates’ basic medical knowledge and their attitude towards different situations and scenarios. The main medical exams are UMAT, UCAT, MCAT and ISAT.
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT): LSAT is taken for testing candidates’ compatibility for Law Courses.
The eligibility and cut-off for these exams are different for different colleges and universities.
Top Universities to Study in Australia After 12th
Australia is blessed with some of the world’s best colleges and universities in the world. Candidates should pick an appropriate one for themselves. Let’s look at Australia’s top Universities:
Top Fields to study in Australia after 12th
Here are the top 10 fields to study in Australia after the 12th. Candidates can choose a field according to their interests and eligibility. Choose something you are passionate about, or you love to do so that your performance in your course is good.
- Information Technology (IT)
- Social Sciences
- Nature and Physical Sciences
- Business and Management Studies
- Engineering Studies
- Economic Studies
Best Diploma Courses to Study in Australia after 12th
Diploma and Vocational Training Courses are suitable for the students who are willing to enroll in a short course. Unlike UG programs, the duration of these courses is short which varies from 6 months to 2 years. Candidates who managed to get only 60 percent in their 12th or even lower than that, can apply for these courses. Here are the top Diploma and Vocational Courses in Australia:
- Advanced Diploma of Hospitality
- Advanced Diploma of Accounting
- Certificate in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate III in Engineering Technical
- Certificate IV in Business
- Diploma in Software Development
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Financial Services
- Diploma in Building and Construction
Best Undergraduate Courses to Study in Australia
Undergraduate Courses are suitable for the candidates who are willing to invest around 3-4 years or more for their education. If a candidate has scored 65 percent or higher in 12th grade, they can apply for undergraduate courses at various institutions. Some of the best undergraduate courses to study in Australia after 12th are listed below:
- Bachelor of Applied Finance
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business Laws
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Creative Arts
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Dental Science
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Science
Cost of Studying in Australia
Australia is comparatively cheaper to study in, than other developed countries like the USA, UK, etc. For example, the fees are almost double in the United States, when compared to Australia. The average cost to study in Australia after 12th class is listed below:
|For Vocational Courses||4,000-22,000 (2,14,542 – 11,79,985 INR)|
|For Undergraduate Courses||20,000-45,000(10,72,713 – 24,13,600 INR)|
Cost of Living in Australia
In addition to tuition, the cost of studying in Australia includes transportation, lodging, and other daily expenses. Some of the expenditures that may be encountered when studying in Australia are as follows:
|Expense||INR (Per Month)|
Scholarships in Australia
International students can apply for a range of scholarships at Australian universities. There are also scholarships, student loans, and other forms of financial help accessible.
|Australia Award Scholarship||Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade|
|ACU Destination Australia International Scholarship||Australian Government|
|Australia Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarship||Australian Government|
|Scholarships by Australian Embassy||Australian Embassy|
How to get a Study VISA for Australia?
To study in Australia after the 12th, a candidate needs a student VISA. Candidates can get the study VISA for Australia by one of the following methods:
- By enrolling or registering for the Australian institute, you want to study in. After the applicant successfully registers and pays the tuition fee, the institute will send a “Confirmation of Enrolment” (CoE), which is one of the important documents to start the VISA application process.
- By creating an account with “The Immigration Authorities of Australia”. Applicants must visit their web portal and register themselves to start the process.
If you have a dream to study in Australia after the 12th, you will need a lot of dedication, hard work, and perseverance to fulfill this dream. But the good news is that our experts here at Leverage Edu are ready to guide and help you at every step of your journey. Call us on 1800 572 000 and get started on your dream journey!