Founded in 1834 Newcastle University has a worldwide reputation for academic excellence, is a world-class university and a founding member of the Russell Group universities in the UK with a strong research focus. Newcastle University has over 28,000 students, including over 5,400 international students from over 115 countries, and is located in the heart of one of the UK’s most vibrant student cities, Newcastle. Not only is it known for its academic excellence but is also an alma mater to one of the greatest English actors, comedians and writers of all time, Rowan Atkinson a.k.a Mr Bean. he University has significant collaborations with institutions throughout the world, including IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, and IISc Bangalore in India, as well as global corporations like Siemens, PwC, and IBM. Media Studies, Engineering, Earth Sciences, Linguistics, Pharmacy and Pharmacology are among the subjects offered by this world-class university which is among the top 140 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2022). If you are planning to study at Newcastle University in 2022, then here’s a detailed blog curated for you.
|University Name||Newcastle University|
|Location||Newcastle, England, United Kingdom|
|Best For||Computer Science, Business, Media|
|International Student Population||19.3%|
|Application Fee||Single Choice: GBP 20 (1,996 INR)
Multiple Choice: GBP 26 (2,594 INR)
|Intakes||January, April and September|
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study at Newcastle University?
- Newcastle University Rankings
- Popular Courses to Study at Newcastle University
- Newcastle University Admission Deadlines
- Admission Requirements to Study at Newcastle University
- Application Process
- Cost of Studying at Newcastle University
- Cost of Living in UK
- Newcastle University Scholarships
Why Study at Newcastle University?
As a world top 150 university, Newcastle University inspires the minds of thousands of students from over 140 countries. Their outstanding reputation for academic excellence and high graduate employability ensures they are the first-choice destination for students from around the world. Let’s know why one must study at Newcastle University in 2022:
Live in a Cultured, Lively and an Affordable City
If you’re relocating to a new nation where the first language isn’t your native tongue, it’s natural to be concerned about whether you’ll feel secure, comfortable, and happy. Newcastle is known for being a warm and inviting city, especially for international students. Newcastle combines the benefits of city living with the conveniences of a small town. It is a popular choice for international students year after year because of its friendly residents, straightforward and easy-to-understand transit system, and meandering lanes lined with stunning structures.
Studying at a World-Class University
Newcastle University boasts a variety of notable accomplishments, including a 93% student satisfaction rate and a first-class sustainability certification. Newcastle University is a founding member of the Russell Group and is ranked among the top 150 universities in the world. You can be confident that you will dive deep into your chosen subject – no matter how specialised it is – since the university has one of the largest European Union research portfolios in the UK.
One of the Safest Universities to Study Amid Covid Times
The university is taking every precaution to keep all students safe and secure from the virus, from screens and barriers to facilitate social distance, to wipes and hand sanitiser stations across campus. They’ll even have a mechanism in place to monitor possible COVID-19 outbreaks in the University community. They provide a free Meet and Greet service to ensure that overseas students feel comfortable and supported, and as part of this service, the university will greet students at Newcastle International Airport. A ‘quarantine safety corridor’ between the airport and your new accommodation is also being developed by the university.
Great Employment Opportunities
Newcastle University is regarded as one of the finest in the world when it comes to working with industries. In fact, the institution is among the top 200 universities in the world for employability as of 2021. A degree earned at this university provides you with a plethora of transferrable expertise. From teamwork to communication to analytical abilities, there’s a lot to learn. That’s not even taking into account the information you’ll receive by earning a degree in your chosen field. With the help of their fantastic Careers Service, you may benefit from all of this and more when you pursue a degree at Newcastle University. The university can assist you with building your CV, gaining job experience, mastering interviews, and much more, in addition to all the regular perks of earning a degree.
Newcastle University Rankings
Newcastle University is one of the top-ranked universities in the world which is what makes it a popular study destination for students around the world. The table below mentions the rankings achieved by the same which will definitely inspire international students to study at Newcastle University:
|QS World University Rankings 2022||#134|
|Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022||#146|
|Times University Guide 2022||#42|
|Guardian University Guide 2022||#55|
Do you know: Newcastle University Business School is a triple-accredited business school that offers high-quality education. The majority of our programmes are officially approved, ensuring that the education you acquire here will prepare you for your future.
Popular Courses to Study at Newcastle University
Here is a list of some of the popular undergraduate and postgraduate courses in different fields of study for international to consider studying at Newcastle University in 2022:
Popular UG Courses
Life Sciences and Medicine
- Nutrition With Food Marketing BSc Honors
- Medicine And Surgery (Accelerated Programme) MBBS
- Medicine And Surgery MBBS Honors
- Medical Science (Deferred Choice) BSc Honors
- Agriculture With Farm Business Management BSc Honors
- Agriculture With Agronomy BSc Honors
- Psychology And Biology BSc Joint Honors
- Dietetics BDiet
- Biochemistry BSc Honors
- Chemistry With Industrial Training Year BSc Honors
- Chemistry With Medicinal Chemistry BSc Honors
- Theoretical Physics BSc Honors
- Marine Biology BSc Honors
- Mathematics With Finance BSc Honors
Arts and Humanities
- English Language And Literature BA Honors
- English Literature And History BA Honors
- Film And Media BA Honors
- Archaeology BA Honors
- Geography BSc Honors
Engineering and Technology
- Civil And Structural Engineering With Year In Industry BEng Honors
- Electrical And Electronic Engineering BEng Honors
- Computer Science (Software Engineering) BSc Honors
- Digital Electronics BEng Honors
- Electrical Power Engineering BEng Honors
Business and Management
- Marketing BSc Honors
- Marketing And Management BSc Honors
- Business Accounting And Finance BA Honors
- Accounting And Finance BSc Honors
- Business Management BA Honors
Popular PG Courses
- Advanced International Business Mgt Dual MSc
- Agricultural and Environmental Science MSc
- Architecture, Planning and Landscape
- Art Museum and Gallery Studies MA, PGDip
- Arts, Business and Creativity MA
- Automation and Control MSc
- Banking and Finance MSc
- Film Studies MPhil, PhD
- Film: Theory and Practice MA
- Finance and Accounting PhD
- Finance and Economics (Research) MA
- Law and Society (Legal Research) LLM
- Law LLMFinance MSc
- Physics MRes
- Planning and Environment Research MA
- Politics (Research) MA
- Sociology MA
- Sociology PhD
- World Politics and Popular Culture MA
- Writing Poetry MA
Newcastle University Admission Deadlines
To be considered for admission, international candidates must submit their applications 90 days before the deadlines. Undergraduates must adhere to the UCAS deadlines, whereas postgraduate students are admitted on a flexible basis. The following dates are applicable if you are planning to study at Newcastle University in 2022:
- 15 October 2021 – Application deadline for Medicine and Dentistry courses
- 26 January 2022 – Application deadline for most courses (excluding Medicine and Dentistry)
- 30 June 2022 – UCAS Application deadline. If you miss the 29 January deadline you can still apply, although some courses may be full – UCAS will show you which courses are available.
- From 1 July 2022 – Direct applications to the university can be made from International students.
Admission Requirements to Study at Newcastle University
Although the eligibility criteria might vary for different courses (based upon the level of study and chosen field of study) being offered at Newcastle University, mentioned below is a list of entry-level eligibility or admission requirements that international students must meet to study at Newcastle University in 2022:
- For an undergraduate degree, the applicant must have at least 75% aggregate marks in XII Standard (ABB at A level). This can be awarded by:
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)
- Council for the Indian School Certificate (CISCE)
- National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS)
- Various state boards
- Autonomous schools
- For a postgraduate degree, the recognises 60% from section 1 universities, 62% from section 2 universities and 65% from section 3 universities as compared to a 2.1 and 58% from section 1 universities, 60% from section 2 universities and 63% from section 3 universities as compared to a 2.2. This can be in any of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor Degree
- Bachelor Pass or General degree in Arts, Science or Commerce
- Bachelor Special or Honours degree
- Bachelor degree in professional subjects
- The university can also demand GMAT/GRE or any other entrance test scores depending upon the programme that you choose to study at Newcastle University.
English Test Scores Requirements
- All official academic Transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- Health Insurance Statements
- Personal and financial statements
- Research proposal (if asked by the university)
Here are the Documents Required for Applying to UK Universities
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. Students can apply through portals like UCAS for undergraduate courses and to apply for postgraduate courses, students have to apply for Newcastle University admission. You can call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined to study in a UK university! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process to study at Newcastle University:
- Call our Leverage Edu student counsellors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your courses with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder. The experts will then commence your application process of multiple universities through our common dashboard platform where you can yourself witness the status of your application process.
- The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc.
- If you haven’t yet prepared for your IELTS exam, which is surely an important factor of studying abroad, join our Leverage Live classes and get trained by experts to score high.
- After submitting your application and all the necessary documents, the experts will then start with the application process for accommodation, UK students visa, and scholarships/student loans.
- It’s now time to wait for your offer letter which can take around 4-6 weeks or more. Post accepting your offer letter, it’s now time to pay your semester fees, get your visa approved, CAS-Letter, pack your bags and fly to the UK.
Know everything about the UK Admission Process for Indian Students!
Cost of Studying at Newcastle University
Although the tuition cost for international students will vary as per the programme chosen by the students to study at Newcastle University, the table mentioned below highlights the average yearly tuition fees for UG and PG courses:
|Study Level||Average Per Year Tuition Fees|
|UG||£12241 – £23089 (INR 12 – 23 lakhs)|
|PG||£12000 – £25000 (INR 12 – 25 lakhs)|
Note: The above-mentioned table only highlights the average tuition fees for UG and PG courses. The fees can be different for different courses offered at Newcastle University. Get in touch with our experts to know the exact cost of studying or tuition fees for your chosen programme.
Cost of Living in UK
While the cost of living anywhere in the world depends on your personal choices, the cost of living in the UK is calculated in the city you reside in. Here is a brief estimate of the cost of living for international students while studying at Newcastle University:
|Kind of Expense||Cost in GBP and INR|
|Fees for Visa Application||348 GBP (INR 35,834)|
|Housing||500 GBP (INR 51,486) monthly|
|Transportation||150-200 GBP (INR 15,445 to INR 19,844) monthly|
|Food||150-200 GBP (INR 14,883 to INR 20,594) monthly|
|Clothing and Leisure||50 GBP (INR 5,148) monthly|
|Telephone and Mobile||50 GBP (INR 5,148) monthly|
Newcastle University Scholarships
Newcastle University offers various scholarships and grants to international students studying with them. Mentioned below are some of the most popular scholarships offered to international Indian students studying at Newcastle University:
|Name of the Scholarship||Amount|
|Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarships||GBP 1,500 – GBP 5,000 (INR 1,50,746 – INR 5,02,487)|
|Vice-Chancellor’s Global Scholarships – Postgraduate||GBP 4,000 (INR 4,01,990)|
|Masters in Finance Scholarship||£5,000 (INR 5,02,487)|
|Fulbright Scholarships||Varying amount|
|International Family Discounts||10% discount for each year of an undergraduate or graduate program|
|Commonwealth Shared Scholarships||Includes tuition fees, Living expenses, Return economy airfare, Study travel grant|
|Directors International Excellence Scholarship||50% discount for one year’s tuition fee to 2 UG and 2 PG students|
The acceptance rate of Newcastle University is 87% which makes it easy for students to get admitted to the university by fulfilling the eligibility requirements.
Yes, the students are required to submit an application through an online portal for accommodation. International students are offered accommodation for the full duration of their course.
Currently, Newcastle University is ranked at 42nd position in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022. 37th in the Complete University Guide 2022 and awarded First Class in the People and Planet University League 2019.
Is this potentially the hardest university to get into the world? Newcastle University is one of the country’s biggest and most popular universities. They typically only accept students, for most courses, who get ABB or higher. They also judge your application as a whole to see how likely you are to succeed at their institution
Are you planning to study at Newcastle University? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counselling session today.