Saksham Scholarship is an amazing initiative by the government of India to provide good education to students with disabilities. It falls under the category of Scholarships for students with disabilities. When and how does a student apply for the scholarship scheme for Saksham? What requirements of eligibility are required for the scholarship to be fulfilled? Under this system, what kind of financial assistance is provided? In this blog, you will find answers to all these questions in depth. It familiarises you with all applicable Saksham scheme-related material, including eligibility, application process, award details and documents.
Check Out: Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
About the Saksham Scholarship
The Saksham Scholarship Scheme is an initiative of the Government of India’s Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and is being implemented by the All India Technical Education Council (AICTE). In particular, the scheme is designed for students with disabilities and seeks to facilitate and encourage them to undertake technical education. Each year with the help of the Saksham Scholarship scheme, disabled students get an opportunity to study further and plan for their bright future.
Also Read: PM Scholarship Scheme
Eligibility Criteria for Saksham Scholarship
AICTE has defined some eligibility criteria for students to be eligible for the Saksham scholarship programme. These requirements are based on the academic qualification, impairment level and financial need of a student. The selection of candidates shall, however, be carried out entirely on the basis of the merits acquired by them in the qualifying test. The detailed eligibility requirements for the Saksham scholarship scheme are listed below.
- The grant is only available to students with disabilities.
- The level of impairment should not be less than 40%.
- From all sources, the family’s annual income should be less than INR 8 Lakh.
- In the first year of the technical diploma/degree course, the students must have obtained admission to an AICTE recognised institution in India.
The Saksham scholarship scheme application process is available online. Every year, within the stated application duration, the AICTE invites applications from eligible students through its online portal. Applications for the Saksham Scholarship Scheme are, however, invited through the National Scholarship Portal for the academic year 2020-21. A comprehensive step-by-step overview of how a student should apply for this scholarship is available to make the application process simple and convenient.
- Visit the National Scholarship Portal’s official website.
- Click on the ‘New Registration’ button to continue with the registration process.
- To build a new profile, fill in all the necessary information and register.
- Use the registered application id and password to login to the portal again after effective registration.
- Fill up the application form for the scholarship with all the necessary information.
- In support of your application, upload all required documents.
- Finally, apply the form for the submission.
The list of documents that are required to be attached when applying for the Saksham scholarship is provided below. Applicants should ensure that all the scanned documents are in the format of .jpg/.pdf/.png. It is also advisable to check that the document size is smaller than the size defined in the online request.
- Class 10/SSC test marking sheet
- Class 12/HSC test marking sheet
- Annual family income certificate issued by the Tehsildar or above competent authority in the specified format
- Admission letter issued by the Centralized Admission Authority for the first year of the degree/diploma course
- Tuition fee receipt paid for the academic year
- A scanned copy of a properly signed and sealed bank passbook with Aadhaar information showing the student’s name and image, IFSC code and account number
- Photograph of the claimant and signature
- Card to Aadhaar
- Certificate given in the specified format by the Principal/ Director/HOD
- Disability certificate issued by the competent authority in accordance with the format defined by the Government of State
- Scanned and approved copy of the SC/ST/OBC certificate (applicable to candidates from SC, ST and OBC)
- Duly signed declaration by parents claiming authenticity in the specified format of the information given in the application
Must Read: Scholarships For Girls in India
A significant number of students with disabilities are chosen each year on the basis of their merits in the qualifying test. For each year of study, the financial assistance offered under this scheme includes INR 50,000 per annum as a lump sum for the payment of college tuition, the purchase of computers, books, stationery, software, appliances, etc. In addition, in place of hostel fees and medical costs, no other extra grants will be payable, etc.
This scholarship is an excellent step towards providing quality education to different segments of the society and the government deserves all the support and appreciation. In fact, there are various other national scholarships which are an effort to bridge the gap between students and education like sports scholarships, PhD scholarships, scholarships for girls and many more. Looking for scholarships to study abroad? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu and we will help you find the right scholarship as per your chosen program and university. Sign up for a free session today!