Students aspiring to study abroad realize the importance of acing English language proficiency tests like IELTS. However not every student achieves the desired score on the first attempt, so it is pretty common for students to retake IELTS in order to better their performance and have a shot at their dream university. If you want to ace your exam then here are some tips and strategies that will help you in retaking your IELTS exam!
Worried About IELTS? Take a Demo Class with Leverage Live Experts and Learn the Coolest Ways to Ace the Exam in One-Go!
This Blog Includes:
- Strategy for Retaking IELTS
- Make a schedule
- Practice and take tests
- Tips to Improve IELTS Reading Score
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Score
- Tips to Improve IELTS Speaking Score
- Tips to Improve IELTS Listening Score
- How Leverage Edu can help you improve your IELTS score?
- IELTS Preparation Material
Strategy for Retaking IELTS
If you didn’t get the desired score in your first IELTS exams, you can sit for another one without any hassle. However, it is important that you significantly improve your English and be well prepared before retaking the test. Here are some strategies that you can follow for retaking IELTS and improving your score:
Take your time
After your last attempt, take a break and rejuvenate your mind. Don’t be in a hurry to retake the exam, especially if your actual band score is significantly lower than your expectation. It takes time to improve language skills, give at least 6 months before you retake the test.
Take advantage of your last test and identify what went wrong
The good thing is that you don’t have to start your preparations from scratch. Now that you’ve given the test, you have a fair idea about what is important and what is not. Use that to your advantage and make a list of areas in which you faced difficulty while attempting the test.
Focus on areas in which you lacked
Out of all the sections, reading, writing, listening, and speaking, check-in which you received the lowest score. Start by trying to improve in that area first and then proceed to other sections. In order to improve your language skills, it is important that you devote your time and stay committed.
Make a schedule
Prepare a schedule that will keep you on track. Divide your time based on areas you need to focus on the most.
Practice and take tests
The best way to improve is by practicing. Keep track of your progress by taking multiple practice tests attempting worksheets and solving as many sample papers as you can.
If you find it difficult to improve and understand the basics in any area, you should consider taking professional coaching or hiring a tutor. With outside supervision, you can get a clear idea about how you’re performing and how much you need to improve. You can register for Leverage Live and we will help you commence with your preparations today.
Don’t put pressure on yourself
It is important that you don’t put too much pressure on yourself to achieve a certain score. Focus on improving your language rather than on getting every answer right. Give the test only when you feel you’re ready and feel confident.
Tips to Improve IELTS Reading Score
Here is how you can improve your score in the reading section:
- Read books, magazines, and newspapers as much as you can and develop speed reading skills
- Understand that the entire passage is not important
- Read the questions first and skim through the paragraph
- Look for the keywords, every answer has keywords that connect to its question.
- Grammar and vocabulary is the key to writing answers. It is important that all the answers are grammatically correct. If there are grammatical errors in your answers even if the answer is correct, the response will not be added.
- Practice various reading questions to improve your vocabulary and reading skills.
Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Score
Here is how you can improve your score in the writing section:
- From your previous experience, identify what problems you faced while attempting the writing task.
- It is important to manage your time and keep in mind the word limit. Devote approximately 20 minutes on the first task 40 minutes on the second task.
- Spend 5 minutes brainstorming your ideas before starting.
- Make a note of the topics you’re going to include in your writing.
- Practice writing at home by setting a time limit and focus on your grammar and writing style.
Tips to Improve IELTS Speaking Score
Here is how you can improve your score in the speaking section:
- The key is to be confident and not overthink what you’re saying. Say what naturally comes to your mind.
- It is not important to use big and fancy words. Use words you are comfortable in pronouncing correctly.
- Take a few seconds to understand the topic. There is no need to speak fast, you should concentrate on speaking fluently even if you are a bit slow.
- Practice at home by choosing a random topic to speak on and recording yourself.
- Conversing in English at all times will help you get used to the language.
Tips to Improve IELTS Listening Score
Here is how you can improve your score in the listening section:
- Since the recording is played once, listen actively and stay focussed. You can note down important pointers.
- There is no negative marking, so don’t leave the answer blank. You can try your luck by guessing the correct answer.
- Listen to audio books, podcasts and watch videos, news channels and movies in order to get used to understanding the language.
- Practice questions at home in the same way you will be tested.
- Don’t exceed the word limit & proofread before submission.
Must Read: Grammar for IELTS
How Leverage Edu can help you improve your IELTS score?
With everything being shifted online during these times, you take the help of our online Leverage Live platform. Leverage Live is one of the best online learning platforms available out there for preparation. With well-versed faculty, well-structured study material, high-quality video content, doubt clarification sessions, personalized study plans, and motivating teachers, you will surely be able to improve your score in each section.
IELTS Preparation Material
One and only tested and proven best IELTS preparation tip is to practice. Practice will make you perfect and you will be able to ace your test. Check out IELTS preparation material that will help you ace the test:
- Listening sample 2 task Multiple Choice
- Listening sample 4 task Sentence Completion
- IELTS Listening Recording 9
- Listening sample 6 task Matching
- Academic Reading sample task – Matching features
- Academic Reading sample task – Multiple choice (more than one answer)
- Academic Writing sample task 1A
- Academic Writing sample task 2B
- Speaking sample task part 1 – Recording
- Speaking sample task part 3 – Prompt
All the material is accessible on the official website for IELTS and students can easily view it and take a sample test as well!
Subscribe to Leverage IELTS for more such information
Students can retake the IELTS exam any number of times they want without any mandatory waiting period. However, it is advised that students should be fully prepared before retaking the test as the registration and exam fee remains the same, regardless of the number of times you take the test.
Practice is key to improving your English language skills and ultimately improving your IELTS score. Make a schedule, focus on your weak areas, practice your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills through various practice tests and worksheets, take coaching if necessary and be well prepared before attempting your exam.
There is no minimum score required to pass the IELTS exam. Students can be awarded a score from band 1 to band 9(highest). There is also a band 0 for students who don’t attempt the exam. Although different universities have different eligibility requirements in order to apply there.
Four test dates are scheduled every month in 2022 for students to appear for the IELTS exam. Students can register and appear on a date of their choosing.
Also Read: How to Crack IELTS
Want to study abroad but worried about your IELTS score? Then worry not, book a FREE demo class with Leverage Live experts today and they will help you ace your exam in your next attempt!