Not just maple leaves, Canada also comes with state-of-the-art research facilities; with resources and opportunities readily available to you, per your level of expertise and hard work. There are a variety of research opportunities in Canada, something that we shall cover in today’s blog. Read on below to know more about these research opportunities in Canada, the universities, scholarship support, and more.
This Blog Includes:
Why Research In Canada?
- You can choose any subject from a wide range of options as your topic of research in Canada. The universities provide their assistance at every step of the process. Not only that, Canada is ranked 4th in the world for its scientific research, a noteworthy feat that makes research opportunities in Canada more attractive.
- Moreover, The National Research Council, which is a group of government agencies and businesses, also allocates its funds to support research projects across a variety of fields not limited to science.
- Canada also provides financial assistance to exceptional research projects in the form of scholarships.
What are the Research Opportunities in Canada?
For one to avail of the research opportunities in Canada, one must be aware of the different funds and awards available for research in the country. Listed below are some of them:
Central Government’s – Funding Programs
- Canada’s 3 Research granting agencies are the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), which administer funds and awards for research.
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Canada First Research Excellence Fund
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Canadian Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarships
- Canada Research Chairs and Canada Excellence Research Chairs
- International Council for Canadian Studies (ICCS) Awards
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
Those were some of the main ones. More opportunities surrounding research come in the form of other organisations such as
- Sauvé Public Leadership Program
- Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
- Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarships
Research Opportunities in Canada for International Students
Along with research opportunities in science, medicine, computer science, and telecommunications, there are other fields as well that are supported by research grants for students pursuing post-secondary education. Let’s have a look at the same.
The following are some of the fields Canada specialises in, as well. They have a significant impact and can be used by international students for their research.
If you are interested in research and have opted for a postgraduate degree that requires a thesis proposal, you’ll need to know what is required to be enrolled in such a program.
The basic requirements are the same with the following as the eligibility criteria:
- TOEFL, or
- IELTS (6.5 minimum overall score)
- 2-3 years of full-time work experience
- 4 yr bachelor’s degree, 70% average
- Written samples/Published work/Portfolio, as per particular university
Universities Providing Research Opportunities in Canada
A number of universities in Canada provide esteemed courses and research opportunities at the postgraduate level.
|University||QS Ranking 2023|
|University of Toronto||34|
|University of British Columbia||47|
|University of Montreal||116|
|University of Ottawa||237|
|University of Saskatchewan||473|
|University of Waterloo||154|
|University of Western Ontario||–|
|University of Alberta||110|
|University of Calgary||242|
|University of Manitoba||651-700|
Scholarships for Indian Students
These scholarships help Indian students in their pursuit to work on research opportunities in Canada.
|What’s the Scholarship?||Who Funds It?|
|Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships||Government of Canada|
|CIFAR Global Scholars||Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR)|
|CIHR Fellowship||Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)|
|Commonwealth Scholarship Plan||Global Affairs Canada|
|IDRC Research Awards||International Development Research Centre (IDRC)|
|Mitacs Accelerate International||Mitacs|
|Mitacs Globalink Research Internship||Mitacs|
|Research Associate Program||National Research Council Canada|
|Trudeau Research Fellowships||Trudeau Foundation|
Research Jobs in Canada
Research opportunities do not end at studying and working on research projects at the postgraduate level. The opportunities are endless when it comes to research jobs in Canada. Have a look below.
- Research Scientist
- Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC)
- Policy Specialist
- Research Ethics Coordinator
- Research Development Associate
Yes, Canada has great research opportunities for students and research scholars alike.
A Master’s degree is usually required for you to become a researcher and land research jobs in Canada.
Concordia University is one of the universities in Canada that offer free tuition.
Courses surrounding the IT sector and Management are in the most demand in Canada.
This was all about Research Opportunities in Canada. If you want to get into a high-ranked university, you may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.