Singapore is a beautiful and affordable destination for pursuing your higher education. The country attracts students from all around the world and has the highest number of scholarships for international students. The island city-state boasts three main public universities — the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and Singapore Management University (SMU). It is also home to hundreds of international universities with affiliations with top study abroad destinations like Australia and the UK. If you are planning to study in the cleanest country in the world then here is a guide on the requirements to study in Singapore!
This Blog Includes:
- Eligibility for UG courses in Singapore
- Eligibility Requirement to Study PG courses in Singapore
- Eligibility Criteria for PhD courses
- University Entrance Examinations
- Documents Checklist
- Requirements for a Student Visa in Singapore
- Cost of Studying in Singapore
- Cost of Living Requirement to Study in Singapore
- Popular Intakes
Eligibility for UG courses in Singapore
Here are the requirements to study in Singapore for UG courses:
- You must have completed your 12th or an equivalent exam from the recognized board, such as CBSE and ICSE.
- For admission into UG courses, you must also have qualified class 12th with 85% minimum marks.
- The University/Institute will require your academic transcripts to be submitted to them only in English language. TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores are required to study UG courses in Singapore. The score required varies from University to University but it is usually around 6.5
- IELTS is not mandatory in some of the private universities.
- The academic transcripts are required to be submitted to the University authorities only in the English language.
- You must have your SOP/LOR with you when submitting applications.
Eligibility Requirement to Study PG courses in Singapore
Here are the requirements to study in Singapore for PG courses:
- The candidate must possess the bachelor’s degree or equivalent from the recognized and reputed University or institute.
- The candidates who have appeared for any of the above-mentioned tests like GMAT, GRE, MAT etc with minimum 50% score in each test are eligible to take admission.The candidate must have a minimum 2.8 CGPA at the graduation level.
- For any of the programs, it is compulsory that the candidate must have a minimum 2 years of work experience.
- MBA candidates can also apply to MBA courses which will be organized by different universities and colleges. They can also apply to different specializations of MBA courses like Finance and Marketing as per their choice and interest.
- For engineering programs at NTU, GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) scores are accepted for Indian students
Eligibility Criteria for PhD courses
Here are the requirements to study in Singapore for PhD courses:
- An exceptional bachelor’s degree and masters degree
- Capacity to seek research in the applicant’s proposed field of cutting-edge study.
- Candidates who got their certificates from this University can submit guaranteed duplicates of the authority records of scholarly records
- All reports should be in English or joined by affirmed duplicates of the English deciphered variant.
- All candidates ought to submit either the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) OR Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores. The tests probably were taken within 5 years before the proposed date of confirmation.
- Candidates who acquired their certificates from colleges where English was not the primary mechanism of correspondence MUST submit confirmed Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score sheets.
- TSE and TWE scores are needed as a component of TOEFL. Candidates who don’t have TSE and TWE scores will be surveyed on spoken and composed English by an employee, and this might postpone handling of their applications. IELTS is additionally satisfactory. Candidates either submit TOEFL or IELTS.
- The normal span of Ph.D in Singapore is around 4 years, with at least 2 years and a limit of 5 years full-time.
University Entrance Examinations
Here’s a list of the differential aptitude test scores that are required by different universities in Singapore:
- A-levels (minimum requirement: 1 A* for most courses)
- The top universities in Singapore require students to submit their SAT and ACT scores if they are required to take these exams.
- SAT scores are optional, but some schools request you to take this test. The minimum requirement is 1000 in each section.
- Scores of ACT are also optional to get into universities. You can submit the same if the admissions committee asks for one.
- For English language :PTE or TOEFL score.
- GMAT: 650 for top business schools in Singapore
- Universities ask for GRE scores of around 300 in the verbal and quantitative sections.
- Some universities like NTU and NUS even accept GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) scores for Indian applicants for postgraduate admissions
Here are the list of documents that you must submit as a part of the requirement to study in Singapore.
- A letter of acceptance from a recognized institution in Singapore.
- A current passport valid for at least 6 months.
- Two recent photographs – passport sized photos are acceptable. (One photo will be attached to the application form and the other photo has to be produced in case of an interview.)
- A completed application form (to be submitted online).
- A receipt of payment of the visa application fee.
- A medical insurance policy that covers treatment costs up to SGD 30,000(INR-16,38,124.67) if required.
- The statement of purpose, which gives details about your reasons for wishing to study in Singapore.
- The academic certificates of the applicant are also required if you have studied before or if you have received your education from a school outside your own country.
- You also have to provide transcripts and/or diplomas with English translation as proof of your academic qualifications. It is best if these documents are stamped and signed by an authorized official from the issuing institution.
Requirements for a Student Visa in Singapore
Student visa is a mandatory requirement to study in Singapore that you, as an international student, should obtain beforehand. A student pass allows you to study full-time at a recognized institution in Singapore. You can apply for a visa from the ICA if you are:
- An international student who has been accepted for admission by an educational institution that is authorized by the Ministry of Education (MOE) or the Ministry of Manpower (MOM)
- A foreign child adopted by a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident
- A foreign child born to parents who are both Permanent Residents and in whose birth certificate there is an annotation stating that the child is not registered as a citizen and hence not automatically accorded citizenship by descent
The process of applying for a student visa is slightly different for each country. The application process for a student visa in Singapore is:
- Complete the online application form
- Pay the visa fee
- Submit the supporting documents
- Attend an interview at the ICA office
- Receive your passport with the student pass inside.
Pro Tip: You can apply for a visa to study in Singapore for 4 months before your program starts. It is best to start applying for your study permit as soon as possible. The process of applying for a student visa in Singapore is slightly different for each country.
Cost of Studying in Singapore
Cost of Living Requirement to Study in Singapore
To ensure that your study abroad experience is smooth, you should estimate your living cost requirement to study in Singapore beforehand.
- The average monthly living costs of studying in Singapore range from 2,000S$ to 12,000 S$ (SGD) (INR 1,07,806 to INR 6,46,838).
- This estimated range is for both graduate and postgraduate students. The accommodation expenses depend on the type of accommodation chosen.
- Broadly, it can fall between 150 to 1000S$ (SGD) (INR 8,084 to INR 53,902).
Given below are the popular intakes to study in Singapore.
- Singapore government universities generally have two intakes i.e. August and February, with the private institutes offering multiple intakes in January, February, July, August, September, and October.
- The intake season for polytechnics is usually April and September. You should start your admission process around six months before the application deadline.
- Typically, applications for admissions open in October. You should be done with your language and aptitude tests by three months before the deadline if mentioned otherwise. The last three months should be dedicated to filling out the application form properly.
Planning to study abroad? Call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 and get started on your application with a FREE profile evaluation! Download the Leverage Edu app and apply to multiple universities with just one application!