Regarded as the banker of banks, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is an imminent financial institution in the country that many of us aspire to work in. To shortlist the young and potential individuals for its vacancies, RBI organises a varied range of recruitment exams. One of its recruitment exams is RBI Assistant which aims to shortlist candidates who can efficiently handle different responsibilities such as ensuring financial stability, tackling currency issues and circulation etc. If you are planning to appear for the exam this year, here is a blog to help you with a subject-wise breakdown of the RBI Assistant syllabus and Exam Pattern.
|Exam Name||RBI Assistant Exam|
|Conducted By||Reserve Bank of India|
|Online Registration||November/ December 2022 (Tentative)|
|RBI Assistant Prelims Exam||January 2022 (Tentative)|
|RBI Assistant Mains Exam||February 2022 (Tentative)|
This Blog Includes:
- RBI Assistant Exam
- RBI Assistant Selection Process
- RBI Assistant Exam Pattern
- RBI Assistant Syllabus
- Language Proficiency test
- RBI Assistant Preparation Strategy
- RBI Assistant Books
- RBI Assistant 2021 Salary
RBI Assistant Exam
To begin with, the RBI Assistant exam is divided into 2 levels i.e, Prelims and Mains. To get successfully shortlisted, you must qualify both these levels. Both prelims and mains include sections like English Langauge, General Awareness, Numerical Ability (Quantitative Aptitude) and General Reasoning. Apart from these common sections, there are some of the topics which are differ in both levels. Few of such sections are General Awareness, Computer Knowledge which is a part of the mains exam.
RBI Assistant Exam: Prelims
Qualifying the RBI Assistant Prelims is the first and foremost step that can boost your chances to get selected for this job profile. It is compulsory to crack this level to get a step closer to attaining a prestigious government job.
RBI Assistant Exam: Mains
Mains examination is the final step for qualifying the RBI Assistant exam. Thus, you must stay determined and focus on achieving your targets. By analysing the syllabus and exam pattern, you will be able to frame out the structure of question paper before the day of final showdown.
RBI Assistant Selection Process
RBI Assistant Exam is a three phrase process that includes:
- Preliminary Exams
- Mains Exam
- Language Proficiency Test
RBI Assistant Exam Pattern
The RBI Assistant exam is conducted in two phases, first is the RBI prelims and the second is the RBI Mains exam. RBI preliminary exam is a one-hour exam while the main exam is conducted for more than two hours. Let’s check out the detailed exam pattern of each of the exams now:
Prelims Exam Pattern
There will be three sections in the RBI Assistant Syllabus for Prelims which further constitute 100 questions in total.
- For every correct answer, 1 mark will be allotted to the students whereas for every wrong answer there will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks.
- Except for the English section, candidates can choose the medium of paper amongst Hindi and English Language. The total duration of the exam is 1 hour.
|Sections||Total Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|Numerical Ability||35||35||20 minutes|
|Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 minutes|
|English Language||30||30||20 minutes|
RBI Assistant Mains Pattern
It comprises of a total of 5 sections in the exam spread across 200 questions.
- Similar to the prelims examination, the negative marking of 0.25 is there for every incorrect answer and 1 mark is given for every correct answer.
- Students can choose to attempt the paper in Hindi or in English, except for the English Section.
- All the questions will be of objective in nature and the duration of the exam is 135 minutes.
|Quantitative Aptitude||40||40||20 minutes|
|Reasoning Ability||40||40||30 minutes|
|English Language||40||40||30 minutes|
|Computer Knowledge||40||40||30 minutes|
|General Awareness||40||40||25 minutes|
RBI Assistant Syllabus
RBI assistant exam is conducted in two phases, first is the RBI prelims and the second is the RBI Mains exam. RBI has three subjects that are the same in both the exams including Numerical ability, Reasoning ability and English ability. Let’s check out the detailed syllabus of each of the exams now:
RBI Assistant Prelims Syllabus
If you are willing to appear for the exam in the year 2021, you must devise an efficient plan of action to carve your strategical preparation. Your success mantra can be dividing your schedule as per your strong and weak topics. Majorly focus on the topics which count as your weaknesses and keep revising the topics you have already gone through. Below mentioned is the section-wise syllabus of the prelims exam:
English (30 Marks)
Major topics under the English section of RBI Assistant syllabus as well as the bifurcation of marks provided is as follows:
- Reading Comprehension (7-10 marks)
- Cloze Test (5-8 marks)
- Para Jumps (3-5 marks)
- Fill in the Blanks (5-10 marks)
- Error Spotting (5-10 marks)
Reasoning (35 Marks)
Important concepts of the reasoning section in RBI Assistant syllabus include:
- Mathematical Inequalities
- Arrangement and Pattern
- Circular Seating Arrangement
- Linear Seating Arrangement
- Blood Relations
- Directions and Distance
- Floor Puzzle
- Data Sufficiency
Numerical Ability (35 Marks)
In Numerical Ability under the RBI Assistant syllabus, the basic topics of maths in competitive exams such as
- Data Interpretation
- Profit and Loss
- Time and Work
- Mixture Problems
- Number Series
- Time, Speed and Distance
Want Free Career Counselling? Click Here!
RBI Assistant Mains Syllabus
For getting an above-average score, it is compulsory to prepare well and thoroughly revise the entire syllabus of the exam. For this, you need to understand the syllabus as well as the topics you need to work on. Here are some quick insights into the RBI Assistant syllabus of mains exam.
English Language (40 Marks)
The English language section in the Mains level of the RBI Assistant syllabus includes
Quantitative Aptitude (40 Marks)
Through this section, the hardcore quantitative problems spread across different concepts are evaluated. Here is a list of some of the topics in the Quantitative Aptitude of the RBI Assistant syllabus:
- Time and Work
- LCM and HCF
- Simple Interest Questions
- Problems on Trains
- Compound Interest Questions
- Allegation and Comparison
- Time and Distance
- Permutation and Combination
Computer Knowledge (40 Marks)
RBI Assistant exam syllabus for this section will test your knowledge regarding
- Basic Hardware and Software
- History of computers
- Programming Languages
Reasoning (40 Marks)
To ace the Reasoning Section of RBI Assistant syllabus, you will have to develop a strong grip over different topics like,
- Odd man Out
- Direction based concepts
- Row Arrangements
- Number Series
- Blood Relations
- Statement Reading and Understanding
General Awareness (40 Marks)
Just like any other competitive exam, General Awareness is an integral part of the RBI Assistant syllabus and encompasses:
Note: The topics mentioned above are just for indicative purposes. Candidates are advised to check the complete syllabus on the official website.
Must Explore: Basic General Knowledge for Competitive Exams
Language Proficiency test
If you are selected for the main online exam, you must go through a Language proficiency test according to the state you are applying for. If you are not proficient in the local language, you will be disqualified. Only the students who have certain marks in their proficiency test will be called for the proficiency test.
Languages for different local areas
Following are the language tests for different RBI offices across the country:
|Area||Language for LPT|
|Chandigarh||Punjabi / Hindi|
|Guwahati||Assamese / Bengali / Khasi / Manipuri / Bodo / Mizo|
|Jammu||Urdu / Hindi / Kashmiri|
|Kanpur & Lucknow||Hindi|
|Kolkata||Bengali / Nepali|
|Mumbai||Marathi / Konkani|
|Nagpur||Marathi / Hindi|
|Patna||Hindi / Maithili|
RBI Assistant Preparation Strategy
Having a preparation strategy for the exam will help you prepare for the exam very smoothly. It will help you understand your strengths and the weaknesses in different areas. Here are some of the things you should know for preparation:
- Take a mock test to begin your preparation that will help you to understand exactly what you need to focus on and what you already know
- Practise a mock test every week so you know how your preparation is going on
- In order to prepare well, you must clear your concepts and then slowly move to difficult questions
- Focus majorly on your weaknesses but spend at least an hour to hone your strong suits
RBI Assistant Books
Here are some of the best books that can help you prepare for the RBI assistant exam:
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi
- English Language Question Bank by GK Publications
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic by Rajesh Verma
- Advanced Maths for General Competitions by Rakesh Yadav
- Analytical Reasoning by S Chand and RS Agarwal
- A New Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by BS Sijwali
- General Knowledge by Lucent
- Manorama Yearbook by Mathew & Mammen Manorama
RBI Assistant 2021 Salary
- The Basic Pay will be around ₹14,650/- per month (and ₹13,150 plus 2 advance increments admissible to graduates only).
- RBI assistants are also granted Dearness Allowance, House Rent Allowance, City Compensatory Allowance, Transport Allowance etc.
- Including the allowances, the Gross Salary would be approximately ₹36,091/- per month.
RBI Assistant exam is fairly moderate in difficulty with General Intelligence and Reasoning, Computer Ability, and English Comprehension as easy subjects. The other sections are moderately difficult.
In order to clear the RBI Assistant exam, you need to not only clear the cut off of the exam but also get more marks than the overall cut off. But the exam can be prepared easily within 6 months of general preparation.
The in-hand salary of an RBI Assistant is INR 36,091 per month
RBI Assistant is one of the most respectable jobs in the country in the banking sector specially because RBI is the biggest bank in the country.
RBI Assistants don’t get pensions because the employees are governed by the New Pension Scheme(NPS).
Thus, we hope that this blog has helped you get a detailed analysis of the RBI Assistant syllabus. If you are confused about choosing the right career pathway, reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu by signing up for a free 30-minute career counselling session and we will help you in finding the suitable direction that fits your interests, skills and ambitions.