IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
In IELTS Academic Writing Task 1, you are required to write a summary of at least 150 words in response to the specific graph, table, chart, or process. The aim of this task is to assess your ability to select and report the main features, to describe and compare data, identify significance and trends in factual information, or describe a process.
IELTS Writing Task 1 Questions: Academic
IELTS writing task 1 is the first section of the IELTS Writing. It includes 33% of the writing marks. This task comprises of different types of infographics. Bar, Graphs, Pie charts, Maps, Processes, Diagrams and Tables are the major types of questions that are given in the IELTS Academic Writing Task 1. You will be given 20-minutes to complete this task. Not to forget that IELTS Writing Task 1 is not essay based but a report. Here are a few tips to remember while answering the IELTS Writing Task 1:
- While writing you must focus on the components of the graph/bar chart/ table/ process/map/diagrams etc.
- Before writing, read carefully and try to understand the question.
- Do not use the exact words mentioned in the question, instead try to paraphrase the question.
- Use synonyms for the important words given in the question.
- If any of the infographics include time frame, then mention the time frame in your paragraph.
IELTS Bar Graph
IELTS General Writing Task 1
IELTS General Test is taken by those who are planning to immigrate or work abroad. IELTS General Writing Test is supposed to assess if you are capable of communicating in English or not. This test comprises of letter-writing.
IELTS Writing Task 1 Questions: General
IELTS Writing Task 1 consists of formal, semi-formal, or informal letter based on scenarios that may occur while staying abroad. You are required to write letters taking the given situation in picture. The word limit is recommended to be 150 words and must not be exceeded.
Formal letter is addressed to those who are acquainted with you in a formal way such as landlord, boss, municipal authorities, etc.
Semi Formal Letter
Semi Formal Letter is written to someone you share a close relationship with. The aim of the letter is to have a formal conversation regarding a particular topic.
Informal Letter is directed to someone you share a close bonding with. The aim of the letter is to communicate regarding a personal or social situation.
IELTS Writing Task 1 Scores
In IELTS writing task 1, your scores will be assessed through the following mentioned marking criteria:
- Task achievement
- Coherence and Cohesion
- Lexical Resource
- Grammar Range and Accuracy
IELTS writing task 1 is marked on a band scale of 0 – 9. For instance,
|Coherence and Cohesion||8|
|Grammar Range and Accuracy||6|
Based on the above-mentioned scores, the total score would be 7+8+9+6= 30/4= 7.5.
IELTS Writing Task 1 Preparation Tips
- Always fulfil the word limit i.e. 150 words.
- Manage your time and try to complete Task 1 in 20-minutes only as Task 2 contains more weightage.
- Understand the band scores and criterion which consists of 25% of marks each.
- Learn and add a new list to your vocabulary as it will help you in both the writing tasks.
- Always remember to make a proper structure of report in Writing Task 1.
Academic Writing Task 1 Sample Answer
Check here- Academic Writing Task 1 Sample Answer
General Writing Task 1 Sample Answer
Check here- General Writing Task 1 Sample Answer
Subscribe to Leverage IELTS for more such information
The writing section of the IELTS exam differs in both the Academic as well as the General Training variant. To prepare well for the exam, it is important to practice sample questions for all the sections including the writing section. The writing section of the IELTS exam consists of two questions. In this video, Leverage Edu’s IELTS expert will present you with some sample questions for writing task 1 as well as some tips and skills through which you can ace your answers for the writing section.