Interior design is a unique combination of art and science. To create aesthetic work, an interior design graduate employs scientific theories and concepts. They apply their ingenuity to improve the interiors of buildings and come up with a variety of unique and inventive concepts and ideas. Interior design programmes are offered at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Those who appreciate designing and have an inclination for word art will be able to succeed in the field of interior design. The applicants must be able to conceptualize their plans and turn their ideas into reality from simple sketches on a sheet of paper. Let’s explore everything you need to know about interior design courses in Australia.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Interior Design in Australia?
Students who study interior design in Australia are immersed in a project-based, industry-partnered learning experience that addresses cultural, social, technological, and environmental challenges. These modifications are linked to the creation of modern interior settings. The following are a few of the short advantages of interior design in Australia:
- Between 2019 and 2024, the interior design industry is expected to develop at an annual pace of 8.5%, valuing the market at 292,516 Australian dollars (INR 1,66,26,800.98).
- Working as an interior designer in Australia pays the most, at 139,000 AUD (INR 79,01,884.51).
- Graduate from one of Australia’s top-ranked universities, according to QS Subject Rankings. RMIT University is ranked 11th on the list, followed by the University of Technology Sydney, which is ranked 23rd, and the Swinburne University of Technology, which is ranked 43rd.
- Universities in Australia provide course-specific workshops and study programmes to assist students in developing a better study work style.
- According to Australian government figures, Australian institutions have an 88% graduation rate.
- Interior Design certificate and diploma courses are offered by a number of Australian universities, including Unitec New Zealand Limited, TAFE Western Australia, and Melbourne Polytechnic, for students who want to work while learning.
Popular Universities in Australia for Interior Design
- University of Technology Sydney
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Canberra
- Deakin University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- University of Tasmania
- Monash University
- RMIT University
- Griffith University
- Unitec New Zealand limited
- TAFE Western Australia
- University of South Australia
Top Study Abroad Destinations to Study Interior Design in Australia
Although there are excellent interior design degree programmes all around Australia, a few places stand out for their popularity among interior design students. Consider any of the following studies abroad places if you’re not sure where to begin your search for an interior design degree in Australia:
Sydney is Australia’s most populous city and the state capital of New South Wales. Sydney is located on Australia’s southeast coast and has a population of about 4.5 million people. It is often regarded as one of the world’s most livable and beautiful cities. There are many locations to hike, walk, and explore for students who appreciate physical activity and nature. Students who are interested in the arts will find enough to do in Sydney. In Sydney, you’ll also discover a number of renowned universities with a wide range of degrees to offer international students.
Melbourne is consistently ranked among the world’s most livable cities. The city with the greatest score in terms of stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education, and infrastructure receives the title. When you study in Melbourne, you’ll be in a secure and exciting city with world-class study opportunities, services, and a diverse selection of activities. Whether you’re interested in research, technical training, English language, or business, you’ll learn from the best on campuses that provide a rich and satisfying student experience. In the QS Greatest Student Cities Ranking for 2022, Melbourne has been named Australia’s finest student city and one of the best student cities in the world. Melbourne is a safe city with a comprehensive range of student support services. It is home to world-class education and research.
Brisbane is the most effective city in Australia to visit the Great Barrier Reef, the Daintree Rainforest, coastal beaches, and Queensland’s famous theme parks, thanks to its central location. Brisbane is also close to several of Australia’s most well-known cities, including Sydney and Melbourne. The city boasts a sophisticated educational infrastructure and is becoming known around the world as a centre of excellence in medical research and development, technology and innovation, and environmental sustainability. But it is Brisbane’s diversified educational offering that truly sets it apart. You’ll find complete undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, vocational education, English language classes and schooling, as well as specialized studies in chosen disciplines at 190 globally registered education institutions.
Also Read: Group Eight Universities in Australia
- Interior Architecture
- Built Environment
- Interior Design Commercial
- Interior Design Commercial Accelerated
- Interior Design Residential
- Interior Design Residential Accelerated
- Interior Decoration
- Applied Science in Interior Design
- Environmental and Sustainable Design
- Research in Interior Design
- Industrial Design
- Interior and Spatial Design
The average fee for an interior design programme at PG/Masters’s level ranges between INR 32,53,590 and INR 66,32,715 (for the whole course); And at the UG level – INR 13,00,00 to INR 30,00,000 (per annum). The cost varies depending on the university and programme.
The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kick start their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked. Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
- Students are required to have a high school certificate or diploma from a recognized college or school
- All India Senior School Certificate or Indian School Certificate is required either from CBSE or ICSE Board, or state boards for Indian students
- International Baccalaureate Certificate is required with good results
- English language requirements
- Students are required to have a 3-year or 4-year bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution or university
- Some courses might require GMAT or GRE scores
- Evidence of Funds
- Copy of a valid Passport
- Interior and Spatial Designers: Interior and spatial designers are in charge of restoring and designing internal environments. Furnishings, colour and lighting schemes, structural changes, and fixtures and fittings are all part of these spaces. Commercial, home, or leisure environments can be used as a work platform for these designers.
- Production Designer/Art Director: These are the experts in the entertainment industry who work as production designers and art directors. They are in charge of pouring their creativity and thinking into generating, sustaining, and executing the director’s ideas. Production designers are in charge of the set designs we see on television and in movies.
- Lighting Designers: These designers are only concerned with the many types of lights and their effects on the surroundings. Lighting designers make recommendations about what fights should be used in office spaces, at home, and in commercial outlets.
- Exhibition Designer: As the name implies, an exhibition designer is a commercial designer who works on major projects and displays. The primary goal of these designers is to communicate their client’s message to the target audience.
- Visual Merchandisers: Designers in this job profile are in charge of coming up with unique and intriguing ideas for visual displays in retail stores. Visual Merchandisers make stores appealing to clients by attracting them to the store.
|JOB ROLES||AVERAGE SALARY (INR)|
|Interior and Spatial Designers||3,60,000|
|Production Designer/Art Director||7,00,000|
The land down under has been named one of the top ten places in the world for studying interior design courses. Australia has a plethora of world-class universities, including some of the most prominent and innovative interior design schools.
Starting salaries for entry-level employment start at $70,002 (INR 53,17,218.92) , with most experienced individuals earning up to $101,250 (INR 76,91,020.88) per year.
Interior designers are in high demand in Australia, especially in cities and residential areas like Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth.
Are you planning to study interior design courses in Australia but not sure where to start? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance from the application to the Visa process. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counselling session today.