Polytechnic education in India is growing at an immense rate with students opting for vocational courses. They provide several opportunities for students to be employable in different fields. Polytechnic courses are more career-based and students can pursue these right after completing their 10th. There are ample Polytechnic colleges in the world offering an extensive range of educational experience and the syllabus is industry responsive and includes relevant experiential components. These offer 2 and 3-year diplomas, corporate and apprenticeship training besides postgraduate certificates, joint degrees with universities and online or distance education.
Understanding Polytechnic Courses
By definition, Polytechnic courses are short career-oriented programs in higher education with a spectrum of subjects. The courses are technical in nature and are aimed at equipping the students with hands-on training in various fields. Offering a timesaving alternative to mainstream academics which often spans over a longer duration, vocational courses are a popular choice for the students wishing to gain technical experience in lesser time. A number of students and professionals opt for these courses to power up their skills in the field of their liking. Compared to mainstream study, the colleges offering Polytechnic courses focus more on the applied aspects of education. Depending on the level, the course duration can vary.
Here is the list of popular Polytechnic courses:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics and Communication
- Diploma in Petroleum Engineering
- Diploma in Interior Designing
- Diploma in Art and Craft
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Fashion Engineering
- Diploma in Ceramic Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Programming
- Diploma in Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Aerospace Engineering
- Diploma in Production Engineering
- Diploma in Metallurgy Engineering
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Estate Management
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care
- Diploma in Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Marketing Management
Popular Courses & Institutions
The universities abroad enjoy world-class facilities with close links to top recruiters which allows students to take up essential workshops and internship programs. Given below is the list of universities that offer the best technical diploma or polytechnic courses.
|The University of Adelaide||Australia||Graduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering||1 Year|
|Griffith University||Australia||Graduate Diploma of Engineering Science in Mechanical Engineering||1 Year|
|Trinity College Dublin||Ireland||Postgraduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering||1 Year|
|Auckland University of Technology||New Zealand||Postgraduate Diploma in Engineering||1 Year|
|University of Canterbury||New Zealand||Postgraduate Certificate in Engineering||6 Months|
|Pittsburg State University||USA||Graduate Certificate in Technology Integration||18 Credit Hours|
|Saskatchewan Polytechnic||Canada||Post-Graduate Certificate in Technology Management||32 to 48 Weeks|
With ample options available, it is up to the student to look around for the best Polytechnic program and as such, the curriculum of a foreign university may be tailored to meet the growing demand. Due to the intensive teaching and training that the students receive throughout their program, they have thorough knowledge about the subject and technicalities of it. Students opting for Engineering courses are equipped with subject understanding and way to implement that in their professional lives.
Polytechnic vs College[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
While the difference between a college and a Polytechnic institute is blurry when compared to institutes abroad. In India, there are dedicated Polytechnic colleges that enrol students for short term courses after 12th. But in other countries, universities offer diploma courses in technical fields. The course pattern is similar to that of Indian institutes but the level and educational infrastructure vary greatly.
Here are a few advantages which Polytechnic has over college:
- Polytechnic offers more career-oriented and community-responsive education, which is based on the partnership with employers.
- There are a wide range of bachelor degrees, diplomas, certificates, apprenticeships, corporate training and continuing education in Engineering fields, Skilled Trades, Hospitality, Health Science, Business Administration and Community Services.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in applied research and commercialization projects that combine applied learning and relevant hands-on training.
- Moreover, Polytechnic courses allow a pathway for students to build their credentials.
Polytechnic graduates bag numerous job opportunities in both the public as well as private sector. Several government-run companies offer great placements with lucrative salary packages to diploma holders, right from junior level as well as technical level positions.
What Polytechnic career are you looking for? With a plethora of knowledge in study abroad domain, our counsellors can help you choose amongst hundreds of career options. Get your career on the right track with Leverage Edu, today!