One of the prominent courses, PhD in social science is a doctoral-level program having a duration of 3-5 years. This course basically focuses on the different topics including public welfare, women empowerment, social upliftment, right based activism and much more. PhD in Social Science offers you to indulge in a plethora of research-based activities that are related to social sciences. There are many top institutes that offer this doctoral research program to students. Let’s explore everything you need to know about PhD in Social Sciences, the benefits of pursuing a degree in social sciences, eligibility requirements, entrance exams, and much more!
|Name of the Course||PhD in Social Sciences|
|Level of the Course||Doctoral Level|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in relevant disciplines from a recognized university|
|Admission process||Merit-based and entrance based|
|Average fees||INR 10,000 to INR 4,00,000|
This Blog Includes:
- Lucrative Positions: there are many employment opportunities after completion of PhD in Social Sciences.
- Boost Confidence: Pursuing a PhD in Social Sciences helps you understand various concepts with an in-depth sight in social science and related subjects. Thus, acting as a medium for you to boost your confidence.
- Salary: One of the basic reasons for the popularity of this course is the high packages offered by many top organisations. The average salary after completion of this course ranges between INR 3 lakhs per annum to INR 5 lakh per annum.
- Open to Various Sectors: After completion of the course, you get an opportunity to get recruited in various sectors including civil services, social services, policy coordination, teaching, public welfare activities and much more.
There are a few eligibility requirements you need to qualify to pursue a PhD in social science.
- The basic eligibility requirement for a PhD in social sciences is having a postgraduate degree with an aggregate of 55% marks from an officially recognized university.
- The basic modes of admissions are merit-based, however, some reputed universities conduct entrance exams.
- If you belong to some reserved categories then you are awarded a relaxation of marks.
- Apart from the above eligibility requirements, some universities have their own eligibility criteria for some specific courses.
Entrance Exams in India
The list of entrance exams conducted by various popular universities are:
|Exam Name||Conducting body||Exam mode|
|SIU PET||Symbiosis International University||Online|
|MGU WAT||Mahatma Gandhi University||Online|
|Amity University PET||Amity University||Offline|
|MAHE PhD 2020||Manipal Academy of Higher Education||Online|
The syllabus for PhD in social sciences depends upon various universities and their curriculum, however, some of the common topics are:
|Research and fieldwork||Theories related to society|
|Philosophy of social science||Theories of rights|
|Thesis and report preparation||vice-voce|
|Theories of rights||Presentation|
|Name of the University||World QS Rankings 2022|
|University of California–San Francisco||11|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||1|
|University College London||8|
|Johns Hopkins University||25|
|University of Pennsylvania||13|
|University of California – San Diego||48|
|University of California – Los Angeles||40|
If you want to pursue a PhD in social science in India, then there are many top institutions in India that offer a PhD in social science. Some of the top colleges that offer this course are
- Ethiraj College for Women
- Goa University
- Sri Sarada College for Women
- Mewar University
- Gangadhar Meher College
- Jodhpur National University
- A V V M Sri Pushpam College
- Banasthali Vidyapith
- Mumbai University
After completion of a degree in this field, you are offered a plethora of job opportunities in the private and government sectors. As a PhD Social Science degree holder, you can be employed as a social worker, social researcher, civil servant, or child right activists as well as you can apply for the positions of professors at reputed universities and colleges.
Another greatest reason for the popularity of this course is the high packages offered by the top companies.
|Job Profile||Salary in INR|
|Social worker||2.4-2.8 lakhs|
|NGO Worker||2-2.2 lakhs|
|Civil servant||7-8 lakhs|
|Public rights activists||2.4-2.6 lakhs|
If you want to get into a high university, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute consultation.