A PhD or Doctor of Philosophy is the highest level of academic degree in academia. Not only does a PhD degree provide you with great academic achievement but also other benefits such as high-level job opportunities, research opportunities, a stipend during the study period, and lectureship. Austria is one such country that is known for providing quality education to students from around the world. It takes a maximum of 4 years to complete a PhD program in Austria. Here’s what you need to know about pursuing the hardest degree, that is, PhD in Austria!
|PhD||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Average Tuition Fee for international students||1,500 EUR – 7,500 EUR per year
(INR 1,28,232 – INR 6,40,954)
|Stipend||2,336 EUR – 2,838 EUR per month
(INR 1,99,604 – INR 2,42,592)
Must Read: BBA in Austria
This Blog Includes:
Why study PhD in Austria?
- Quality Education: It is a well known fact that Austria provides quality education and excellent research facilities to students. A wide range of courses are available for international students ranging from technical to Medical research.
- Affordability: A PhD program in Austria is a lot less than that of the popular study destinations such as the US, UK or Canada.
- Post-study work opportunities: Recently, Austria has provided an extension to Non-EU/EEA Students that they can remain in the country to seek work after completing their PhD degree. The time extended is 6 to 12 months now.
- Connectivity: Austria is located in Europe which means that you have access to a plethora of European countries. You can attend conferences, guest lectures, workshops, internships and even collaborate with your peers in different universities in the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, France by taking a bus or train!
Also Read: PhD Admissions
Universities in Austria offering PhD
Here is a list of top universities in Austria for pursuing a PhD:
- FH Kufstein Tirol – University of Applied Sciences
- Danube University Krems
- University of Innsbruck
- TU Wien
- Medical University of Graz
- Graz University of Technology
- Johannes Kepler University of Linz
- Medical University of Vienna
- University of Graz
- University of Klagenfurt
- Medical University of Innsbruck
- University of Vienna
- WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business)
|University||Times Higher Education University Rankings 2022|
|University of Vienna||#137|
|Johannes Kepler University of Linz||#600-801|
|Medical University of Graz||#196|
|Medical University of Innsbruck||# 201-250|
Top PhD Programs in Austria
Listed below are the top PhD programs in Austria to pursue as an international student:
- Doctor of Arts
- Doctor of Economic Sciences
- Doctor of Medical Science
- Doctor of Natural Sciences
- Doctor of Psychotherapy Science
- Doctor of Technical Sciences
- To pursue a PhD program in Austria, you will be required to have a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in a relevant subject that is worth 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) or internationally equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Some universities and programs may ask for an entrance exam.
- You’ll be asked to provide proof of English Language proficiency through tests such as IELTS or TOEFL.
|IELTS||7 or above with no sub-score below 6.0|
|TOEFL||100 with no sub-score less than 20|
- You must have obtained a bachelor’s and master’s degree for PhD programs.
- Your age should not be more than 40 years for the PhD program.
- You shouldn’t have studied/pursued research/ academic work in Austria in the last 6 months before taking up the Austrian Government Scholarship.
- The fields of research for PhD program are as mentioned:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Human Medicine
- Health Sciences
- Arts and Humanities
- Social Sciences
- Technical Sciences
How to Apply?
The application process for every university differs based on the program, candidate’s nationality, admission process and much more. To ease your application process, here is a quick guide:
- Call our Leverage Edu student counselors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your courses with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder and select the respective PhD Course.
- The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
- After submitting your application and all the necessary documents, the experts will then start with the application process for accommodation, Student Visa and scholarships/student loans.
- It’s now time to wait for your offer letter, which can take around 3-4 weeks or more.
- Academic transcripts
- Statement of purpose
- Birth Certificate
- Copy of Passport
- Passport size photographs
- Letter of Motivation
- Statement of Research and Career Interest
- Bachelor (3-year) and Master (2-year)
- Bachelor and Master official transcripts
- English proficiency tests scores
- Research Report (optional)
- Letter of recommendation (2)
Cost of Studying and Living
The table below depicts the average amount of living and studying abroad in Austria as a PhD student:
|Cost||Amount in EUR||Amount in INR|
|Average PhD program Tuition Fee||1,500 EUR – 7,500 EUR per year||INR 1,28,232 – INR 6,40,954|
|Living Expenses such as Accommodation, food, travel, bills, entertainment etc||950 EUR – 1,000 EUR per month||INR 64,095 – INR 85,460|
Mentioned above is an average estimation for your reference. The cost of living varies from city to city and upon your personal choices and how you choose to manage your expenses.
The Austrian Government offers scholarships to students who wish to study in Austria. The following are general details for the scholarship offered by the Austrian Government:
|Funded by||Austrian Government|
|Scholarship Degree Level||Diploma, Undergraduate, Masters, PhD|
Also Read: Austrian Government Scholarship
The academic year of Austrian universities is as mentioned below: Winter: October 1 to January 30 and Summer: March 1 to September 30
The admission deadlines for admission to an Austrian University is September 1 for winter intakes and February 1 for summer intakes.
Your age should not be more than 40 years for a PhD/Doctoral Program.
Have you decided to study for a PhD in Austria? If yes, then download the Leverage App and use one app for your study abroad needs!