From being the first Chinese university to be modernised to being one of the top ranked universities in the world, Peking University has come a long way. It is now a dream destination for international students. The university is home to more than 6,000 international students from over 100 countries worldwide. But there is no doubt about the fact that studying abroad in any country is a big financial commitment and international students have to manage a lot of external expenses as well. To make education affordable for international students at Peking University, the university offers generous scholarships to international students. Let’s explore the Peking University scholarship in this blog.
|Founded||11 June, 1898|
|Type of University||Public university|
|QS World University Rankings 2022||#18|
This Blog Includes:
- Peking University Scholarships for International Students
- Peking University Scholarship (PKUS)
- Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) for Peking University
- Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) for Peking University
Peking University Scholarships for International Students
The following mentioned Scholarships are awarded to international students who possess excellent academic skills.
Peking University Scholarship (PKUS)
Peking University Scholarship or PKUS was established to motivate academically excellent international students to pursue degrees at Peking University. PKUS is awarded for students pursuing the following degrees in full-time mode.
|Undergraduate Degree||4-5 years|
|Masters students||2-3 years|
|PhD Degree||4 years|
International students applying for PKUS, must meet the following eligibility criteria :
- Students must not be a citizen of China and must possess good health.
- Student must be already admitted as an undergraduate or graduate student at Peking University and should be pursuing a Bachelor’s or academic Master’s/PhD degree.
- Students must not receive any other scholarship funds.
- Students must not be seeking a professional degree or enrolled in a Joint Degree program or an English-taught program – students enrolled in these programs are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Areas of Study
Scholarships are available to students enrolled in the following courses at Peking University.
- Basic Medical Sciences
- Mathematical Research
- Engineering (Electronic, Computer, and Information)
- Humanities, and Social Sciences, Economics and Management
- Health Science Center
The scholarship is further divided into the following mentioned categories:
|Full Scholarships||Tuition FeesLiving stipend (including accommodation, subsidy)Extensive medical insurance|
|Partial Scholarships||Tuition fees only|
PKUS Full Scholarships covers the tuition fees along with a monthly stipend provided to students. The stipend credited is mentioned below in the table:
|Degree||Stipend per month|
|Undergraduate Degree||RMB 2,000 (INR 23,468)|
|Master’s Degree||RMB 2,500 (INR 29,335)|
|Doctoral Degree||RMB 3,000 (INR 35,203)|
Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) for Peking University
Established by the Ministry of Education P.R. China, CGS aims to build foreign relations between the People’s Republic of China and other international governments by supporting talented young leaders in their respective countries of origin. The CGS is offered to undergraduate, graduate and visiting international students. The scholarship is awarded in part-time and full-time mode.
- You should not be a resident of China and must have good health.
- You must have already submitted a graduate school application (master’s or doctoral) at Peking University.
- The CGS has set a specific age limit as shown in the table for scholarship holders:
- Undergraduate Degree: Up to 25 years
- Master’s Degree: Up to 25 years
- Doctoral Degree: Up to 40 years
- You’re not required to provide English Language Proficiency if English is your mother tongue.
- No IELTS or TOEFL scores are required if the last institution you’ve attended had English language as a medium of instruction. You’ll be required to submit a certificate of English Language Proficiency from the institution/University/school you’ve last attended.
- You’ll not be eligible for the scholarship if you:
- Are enrolled in Joint degree programs
- Majoring in your native language or a third language (French, English, etc.)
- Have previously received scholarship funds from China
|Full Scholarships||Standard Tuition Fees, Living Allowance, Accommodation, Extensive Medical Insurance|
|Partial Scholarships||One or several items of full scholarship|
The CGS full scholarships covers the tuition fees along with a monthly stipend provided to students. The stipend provided is as mentioned below:
|Degree||Stipend per month|
|Undergraduate Degree||RMB 2,500 (INR 29,335)|
|Master’s Degree||RMB 3,000 (INR 35,203)|
|Doctoral Degree||RMB 3,500 (INR 41,070)|
Students holding the scholarship must complete their study within the due time. The duration for Chinese Government Scholarship specified in the admission notice can not be extended in principle.The table below depicts the duration of the scholarship and the chosen program by the student:
|Degree Program||Duration of the Degree||Duration of the Scholarship|
|Bachelor’s Degree||4-5 years||4-7 years|
|Master’s Degree||2-3 years||2-5 years|
|Doctoral Degree||3-4 years||3-6 years|
Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) for Peking University
Established by the Beijing Municipal Government, BGS awards international students with fully and partially funded scholarships that covers tuition fees of the chosen program.
|Full Scholarships||Tuition fees for one academic year|
|Partial Scholarships||Half/A quarter of tuition fee of one-academic year|
- You must be non-Chinese citizen.
- You must be already admitted as an undergraduate or graduate student at Peking University and should pursue a Bachelor’s or academic Master’s/PhD degree in the future at Peking University.
- You should not be receiving any other tuition scholarship funds.
Beijing Government Scholarships will be granted for one academic year according to the tuition fee listed below:
|Undergraduate Degree||RMB 30,000 (INR 3,52,031)||RMB 26,000 (INR 3,05,094)|
|Master’s Degree||RMB 33,000 (INR 3,87,234)||RMB 29,000 (INR 3,40,297)|
|PhD Degree||RMB 40,000 (INR 4,69,375)||RMB 32,000 (INR 3,75,500)|
MBA is considered one of the best postgraduate programs at Peking University for international students.
The application fee at Peking University for international students is 400 RMB (INR 4,693).
You are supposed to apply in late May, however, you must refer to the latest notice on the official website of Peking University for specific application dates.
You can make your study in China more affordable with the help of Peking University Scholarships for International Students. However, did you know that Leverage Edu also provides scholarships upto Rs. 5 Lakhs for international students? You can easily apply for the scholarship by clicking here or give us a ring at 1800572000 for more details.