Pediatricians are doctors who specialize in managing the health of a child younger than 16 years of age, including physical well being, behaviour, and mental health issues. Pediatricians are trained to diagnose and treat childhood illnesses- from minor health problems to serious diseases. To become a paediatrician, there are some prerequisite steps that one have to complete. MBBS is an undergraduate degree whereas MD is a postgraduate course. An MD is where the candidates get to choose their niche which in this case is Pediatrics. Through this blog, we aim to explain to you How to become a paediatrician, along with some of the best universities offering the MD degree and its career scope.
This Blog Includes:
Complete Guide to Becoming a Pediatrician
The steps may vary from country to country but the work remains the same, that is identifying and treating the common public of their ailments. Leverage Edu has formulated a stepwise guide for the same:
Step 1: Complete an Undergraduate of 4 Years
- As we clearly understood that to become a doctor in one specialized field, one has to complete the masters in medicine. For that, 4-year graduation is required with a minimum percentage prescribed differently by different universities around the world.
- Most students who pursue medicine choose pre-med majors like Chemistry or Biology. But, it is not definite. You don’t have to have a Bachelors of Science to go into Med school. Some graduation majors like Social Sciences and Humanities will be accepted too.
Note: Read well before applying to any med-schools that what are the qualifications they require, as in some places a Bachelors of Science degree is mandatory.
Step 2: Take the Medical School Entrance Test
- Depending on countries, the interested student, wanting to pursue an MD that is postgraduation in medicine has to pass an entrance exam to enter the medical schools.
- In America and most of the countries, it is MCAT that is Medical College Admission Test
- For some universities in London, the candidate has to pass a UCAT or IMAT Examination.
- For some universities in Australia and New Zealand, one has to pass the UCAT or GAMSAT Examination.
- For some universities in Germany, one have to pass the Test fur Medizinische Studiengange (TMS)
- Students going from India to give MCAT and then applying to universities are also required to have IELTS or TOEFL and GRE scores.
To know more about the licensing procedures and when the students appear in front of the board, we have a detailed article on that topic, an informative blog of ours, check it- MD in USA.
Step 3: Finish the Medical School
- Most medical school programs are 4 years long. In the first 2 years, the student has to pass some more medical tests like in USA it is USMLE.
- In the last year, the students have to submit an application regarding their residency. Then the med school takes the application under review and set the student with the appropriate or desired residency.
Step 4: Attend the Residency in Paediatrics and then Get Licensed
- Once the candidate graduates from the medical school, he/she has to complete a 3-year pediatric training program at a hospital before starting their own practice.
- Residencies are the most challenging part of becoming a paediatrician. One has to work for very long hours and get paid very low.
- There is a limit of 5-7 years between your residency and getting board certified. The candidate has to appear in front of the board filled with established Paediatricians or educational doctors.
Careers & Jobs for Paediatricians
Some of the industries that hire paediatricians are:
- Hospitals and Clinics
- Nursing Homes
- Medical Centres for Research
Paediatrics work on their own and also provide the other healthcare professionals with their knowledge about the ailments of children. Some of the job roles are listed below:
Paediatric Surgeons are specially trained to perform surgeries on children. They diagnose and provide operative care to children with varied ailments.
These basically work in the neonatal intensive care units in the hospitals. They are responsible for giving the diagnosis and treating the problems related to premature babies or babies with some disabilities or ailments.
Paediatric Orthopedists/Endocrinologists/Cardiologists[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
Orthopedists- Treating problems or conditions related to the musculoskeletal system or bones
Endocrinologists- Treating problems related to endocrine disorders. Managing hormonal disorders and growth problems.
Cardiologists- Treating problems related to the heart.
These Paediatrics doctors specialize in the separate fields of medicine and give their expertise or even operational skills to the children in need.
Top Universities to Become a Paediatrician
Earning an MD Degree is considered very excruciating and hard but doing it from these universities makes the pain and hard work worth it because the pay-off is commendable. Enlisted below are the top universities to become a Paediatrician:
- Harvard University Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University Medical School
- University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Medical School
- New York University (Grossman) Medical School
- Columbia University Medical School
- Washington University in St. Louis Medical School
Now that you have read the entire blog, Do you feel like becoming a Paediatrician? Or Want to study medicine abroad? The easiest way to go about it is through Leverage Edu. Get in touch with our experts and they will do their best to get you in a leading med-school!