Securing 4th position in the list of top universities in the world, the University of Oxford is a paramount institution in the United Kingdom. When it comes to the highest benchmark of educational excellence, Oxford University is one of the choicest hubs that firmly believes in endorsing equity, values, and diversity. It is one of the oldest universities in the English-speaking world and the second oldest university in the world. Regarded as the dream of many, the University of Oxford offers scores of bachelor’s and master’s courses in an array of disciplines. Carving a niche in this prestigious university is not an easy task as the Oxford University acceptance rate is quite high. In this blog, we have collated comprehensive information which will help you understand better the acceptance rate as well as its key features.
This Blog Includes:
- Oxford University Acceptance Rate
- Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor’s and Master’s Courses
- Application Process for the University of Oxford
- University of Oxford Admission to Top Programs
- Application Tips For University of Oxford
Oxford University offers students more than 350 graduate courses across the disciplines, with newer additions in different streams each year. To secure admission at the prestigious university, students must possess exceptional skills that can help their application stand out. Students also must have a GMAT score of 650 or above and an ACT score of at least 32 out of 36. Indian students must also possess 90% and above and A1 grades for the subject they have applied for. The admission at Oxford is highly selective but can be secured by composing a perfect statement of purpose and being ready for your interview. Apart from grades and scores, the admission department at Oxford University also focuses on extracurricular activities and interests.
Oxford University Acceptance Rate
The University of Oxford, the premier institution has a breath-taking acceptance rate of 14% for Undergraduate and 16% for Graduate. The magnificent number of Oxford University acceptance rates signifies the cut-throat competition that one has to overcome to secure a seat in the program of your choice in the university. As per the University’s official data, 26,914 applications increased in the year 2018 and are still increasing. As mentioned by the official authorities of the University of Oxford, over 23,000 students have applied for undergraduate studies in the year 2019 and more than 30,000 for the master’s program. The university accommodated 3300 undergraduate places and 5500 graduate places.
Now that you are aware of the jaw-dropping oxford university acceptance rate, it is time to pull up your socks and start working towards achieving higher scores in competitive exams. If you are dedicated to enhancing your chances of falling under this exceptionally high acceptance rate, start preparing for the exams like IELTS, GMAT, GRE, SAT exam, etc as per your chosen program.
Generally, the accepted students in Oxford have a GMAT score higher than 690. For GRE, students have at least 160 in both the Quant and Verbal sections, standard SAT and ACT scores are 1470 and 32, respectively.
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor’s and Master’s Courses
Before we explore the details of Oxford University’s acceptance rate and criteria, let us first have a look at what all is essential when it comes to seeking admission to the University of Oxford. The quintessential information related to the eligibility criteria for master’s and bachelor’s courses is given below.
- Make sure that your biographical information is well prepared.
- It is essential that you have a 10+2 basic qualification from a recognised academic institution with a minimum percentage of marks.
- A valid score stating your understanding and command over the English language determined by tests like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
- If you are aiming for your undergraduate courses, your brilliant scores in ACT exam or SAT examination will play a pivotal role.
- It is important to have a Letter of Recommendation (LOR) and Statement of Purpose (SOP) which are evaluated during the application process.
- Work experience in a bachelor’s degree and PG courses will take an individual’s educational journey into new heights; however, it varies from the chosen program.
- Scores of GMAT, GRE, etc. is necessary when applying for PG courses.
Application Process for the University of Oxford
If you aspire to fall under the high acceptance rate of the University of Oxford, it is important to study the intricacies of the application process so that you can nail it. As the institution offers UG, PG, and doctoral degrees, the steps in the application process more or less remain the same. Being an international student, you would be expected to present a variety of other pieces of information such as Nationality, Passport details, etc. Apart from these, the general structure of application remains the same for all and majorly includes academic transcripts, test scores, fundings, LORs, SOP, etc. Let’s take a look at detailed admission requirements for UG and PG both:
UG Admission Requirements for University of Oxford
For applying to Undergraduate programs at the University of Oxford you must fulfill the following requirements with an application fee of 75 EUR:
- Completed UCAS application before the deadline – Academic details, LOR, a personal statement
- Written work and test scores for elective courses
- An Interview (Shortlisted Candidates)
|Course||Subject Requirement||Test||Additional Requirements|
|Fine Arts||Not Required||Not Required||Portfolio|
|Engineering||Maths, Physics||PAT||Not Required|
|English||Latin, Greek, or English Language
|ELAT||Two Essays up to 2000 words|
|Economics and Management||Maths||TSA||Required|
|Computer Science||Maths||MAT||Not Required|
PG Admission Requirements for University of Oxford
There are around 37% UK graduate students and 63% graduate students from the rest of the world. Here are the basic requirements for PG admission with an application fee of 150 EUR for MBA and 75 EUR for other programs:
- Official transcripts of institutions last attended
- An updated CV
- An Interview (Shortlisted Candidates)
Additional Requirements for Top Programs:
- GRE/GMAT in MBA Program
- Research Proposal in MSc Engineering of up to 1000 – 1500 words
- Personal Statement required in MSc Engineering, MSc Computer Science, MBA, MSc Biochemistry, MSc Mathematics
- LOR in MSc Engineering, MSc Computer Science, MBA, MSc Biochemistry, MSc Mathematics
- Two years experience, up to 250 words essay, Online assessment test in MBA program
Must Read: Popular Universities in UK
University of Oxford Admission to Top Programs
Oxford University provides strong education to its students in all the programs. A few of the admission programs and their details are mentioned below:
|Programs||Fees Per Annum (USD)||Deadlines||General Eligibility|
|MBA||65,489||September 1||2 years of full-time work experience
GMAT Score: 690
GRE Score: 160 in Verbal & Quants
|MSc in Advanced Computer Science||33,000||September 1||UG honors in Computer Science or Maths
No GMAT or GRE Required
|M.Phil International Relations||37,651||January 8||Research or Work Experience|
|BA Biological Sciences||38,211||October 15||BMATTwo from Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Maths|
|BA English Language and Literature||40,480||October 15||English Literature ELAT|
Application Tips For University of Oxford
As you are equipped with the insights of an application for the University of Oxford, here are some helpful tips which will assist you in acing application process.
- Do your research
- Make sure that you apply for the right course available in your favourite subject
- Prior read your LOR and SOP
- Double-check all the academic and professional transcripts
- Research about the course you are applying to
- Seek professional guidance
We hope this blog has helped you understand all the quintessential information in the pretext Oxford University acceptance rate. Are you aiming to pursue your dream course at Oxford University? Let the professionals at Leverage Edu empower your application journey. From SOP to LOR, Resume, etc will all be handle by our experts. Sign up your free 30 minutes of e-counselling with the team now and discover new educational possibilities.