The rising concern towards maintaining better health and leading sustainable lives have made people switch to consuming organic food items. However, the use of chemical-based fertilizers for crop production started to take a toll on our health. It is not just the human body, these chemical-based products equally harm animals and water bodies, disturbing the overall ecosystem. The ultimate solution for this is moving back to the basics. Recent traction on organic farming methods and increase in its practice has motivated youth to now take up professional courses in this domain and make an excellent career out of it. Read this blog to know more about organic farming courses and reasons to pursue them!
This Blog Includes:
Why Pursue Organic Farming Courses?
Those who make a career in organic farming commit not just to people but also to the environment. Here are some excellent reasons for why one should pursue a professional course in organic farming:
- Organic farming reduces the toxic content of the fruits and vegetables produced leading to healthy healthier results after consumption.
- This method of farming binds the soil together which is completely free of any sort of chemicals and pesticides. Thus, the soil is able to restore its fertility over a shorter period of time.
- The major impact that one lays through organic farming is reducing the effects of global warming.
- Along with the primary impact on surroundings, the field avails lucrative job opportunities for profiles like organic certified agent, organic niche retailer, food scientist, etc.
Also Read: Which is Better: BSc Agriculture vs B Pharma
Organic Farming Courses
To promote and increase the importance of new agricultural techniques in organic farming, universities and colleges have come up with unique courses in this field. The main objective of organic farming courses is to minimize the soil degradation, enhancing the soil health and optimising biological productivity of fruits and vegetables. Also, candidates will learn multiple methods like crop rotation, improving genetics, soil conservation, etc. to organically produce grains, foragers and protein supplements. Here are some prominent courses that you can pursue in the field of organic farming-
|Bachelor’s Degree in Crop Horticulture and Turfgrass Sciences||MSc Organic agriculture||Masters in Organic Agriculture and Food Systems||MSCi Sustainable Food and Natural Resources|
|Bachelor of Horticulture Science in Plant Health||MSc in Food Security and Development||MSc Organic Farming||Masters in Organic Agriculture|
|Smart Organic Farming||MSC Agroecology Water and Food Sovereignty||MSc Organic Agriculture and Food System||MSc Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security|
|Bachelor of Applied Science in Sustainable Agriculture||MSc Agriculture Crop Production||Graduate Diploma in Agriculture||MSc Sustainable and Efficient Food Production|
Getting admission into organic farming courses is not a hard nut to crack. With a related background and set of required documents, you can easily make your way through the universities securing your seat. Refer to the below-mentioned points to understand what all are the prerequisites to pursue these programs-
- For Diploma/ Certificate Courses: Basic education of 10 + 2 from a renowned institution
- For Bachelor’s Courses: Basic education of 10 + 2 with BiPC subjects and minimum 50% aggregate
- For Master’s Courses: A UG degree in the same or related field with a good GPA
- Candidates must qualify GRE exam to pursue MS and MSc courses
- Minimum required score in English proficiency exams like IELTS, TOEFL, etc along with LOR and SOP
Top Universities Offering Organic Farming Courses
Along with the well renowned agricultural institutions, many top universities in the world have started to incorporate agriculture and organic farming courses in their list. Listed below are the academic institutions that offer the above-mentioned programs-
- Coventry University
- Royal Agricultural University
- University of Almeria
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Aarhus University
- Scotland’s Rural College Agriculture
- Centre for Alternative Technology
- University of Hohenheim
- Wageningen University
- University College Dublin
- University of Reading
- University of Guelph
- University of Tasmania
A diverse range of career opportunities in multiple industries are available to the graduates of this field. Since the courses are spread across varied domains and there are also a plethora of specialisations in organic farming, candidates are likely to find esteemed jobs in the chosen sub-field. Apart from this, candidates can also pursue the option of practising independent organic farming. Let us take a look at some of the famous profiles that are available in which field-
- Organic Certifying Agent
- Organic Agricultural or Food Scientist
- Organic Niche Retailer
- Organic Agricultural Manager
- Organic Handler
- Organic Farmer
Hopefully, after reading our blog on organic farming courses, you are now aware of an exciting field. Don’t know how to proceed with your application for such courses? Get in touch with Leverage Edu experts and they will help you in drafting a perfect application for your dream course. Sign-up for an e-meeting with us today.