Northumbria University is a public university located in Newcastle upon Tyne, one of the top 10 student cities in the United Kingdom. A research University with a professional and business-focused approach, it has partnerships with global firms including IBM, Proctor and Gamble, BBC and so on. Foreign students from more than 136 countries choose Northumbria for its academic excellence, global links and holistic student experience. Courses at Northumbria University are rated to have a 90% student satisfaction rate and are sponsored by 60+ professional bodies. In this blog, we will discuss the acceptance rate of Northumbria University along with other details, including the admission process, eligibility requirements, tuition fees and scholarships offered.
|QS World University Rankings 2022||701-750|
|Campuses||Newcastle, Coach Lane, London and Amsterdam|
|Acceptance Rate||63% – 85.5%|
About Northumbria University
Originally known as Newcastle Polytechnic, the Northumbria University was formed in 1969. Ranked #57 in the UK, the University is world-renowned for its academic excellence. It offers 170 undergraduate courses and 257 postgraduate courses in various disciplines through its 16 academic departments. Divided into 4 faculties – Design and Social Sciences, Business and Law, Engineering and Environment and Health and Life Sciences – Northumbria has other campus locations in London and Amsterdam as well. The University also has over 100 student societies in an enthusiastic campus life where students can discover their interests. The employability record of the University is high with 95.5% of its students reporting employment or enrolling in further studies upon graduation.
Northumbria University Acceptance Rate
The Northumbria University at Newcastle has an acceptance rate in the range of 63% and 85.5%, making it moderately simpler to get into. Admissions to Northumbria require students to have a 55-65% overall aggregate at the Undergraduate level for Master’s degrees and 65% and above in Standard XII for a Bachelor’s degree. This makes getting accepted relatively easier as compared to other UK universities. Further, the University has a student population of more than 33,500, 23% of whom are international students from over 136 countries. This makes Northumbria one of the attractive prospects of higher education for international applicants around the globe.
Northumbria University Application Process
Applications to Northumbria University take place through the standardized portal Universities and Colleges Admission Services (UCAS).
Step:1 – UCAS Registration
Once students have shortlisted a course to study at Northumbria University, it’s time to begin the application process. To do so, students are required to sign up for an account with UCAS.
Step:2 – Enter the Information
On their UCAS account, students will be required to enter relevant details including personal information, academic background, employment history, choice of course, Personal Statement and so on.
Step:3 – Complete the Application
After filling in the application, students can review their forms and check whether the details are accurate. The last step is to pay the application fee and complete the UCAS application.
After completing the application process for a particular course, students will receive a response from the university within 10 working days. The response would be either of the following:
- Conditional Offer – This means that the admission would be confirmed if and when the students meet a certain admission requirement, such as the completion of the undergraduate degree with a specific grade.
- Unconditional Offer – This indicates the student’s acceptance to a particular course.
- Rejection Letter – This indicates that the student has not been accepted to the University.
Each student is required to confirm their acceptance to the University in writing a response to the made offer.
Not sure about how to proceed with your Northumbria University applications? Get in touch with our counsellors at Leverage Edu to simplify each step from application to admissions.
Popular Courses at Northumbria University
Northumbria University offers courses at Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Pre-Master’s courses in a variety of subject areas, including Accounting, Business, Finance, Cyber, Project Management and more. The following are some of the popular courses to study at Northumbria University:
- BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance
- BA (Hons) Business
- BA (Hons) International Banking and Finance
- BA (Hons) Business Enterprise, creation and Management
- MA Luxury Brand Management
- MSc Business with Entrepreneurship
- MSc Business with Financial Management
- MSc Computing and Technology
- MSc Big Data and Data Science Technology
- MSc Digital Marketing
Entry Requirements for Northumbria University
- Higher Secondary 10+2 or equivalent with an overall aggregate of 65% or above.
- Background in subjects specified by the University depending upon the course.
- English Language Proficiency Test scores.
- A 2:1/2:2 Bachelor’s degree with honours or equivalent with minimum GPA specified by the university.
- English Language Proficiency Test scores.
- GMAT/GRE score, if applicable.
- A background in a particular subject depending upon your choice of specialisation.
Eligibility Requirements for Indian Students at Northumbria University
- All India Senior Secondary School Cert Standard 12th/ICSE in English (Central Board of Secondary Education)
- Indian School Certificate Examinations 12th (Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations new Delhi)
- Senior Secondary School Certificate Standard 12th in English (State Board Exams from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal)
- Senior Secondary School Certificate Standard 12th in English (State board – Punjab/Gujarat/Haryana) IELTS Mandatory
|Level of Study||Requirements||Score Required|
Standard XII/Class XII from CBSE, CISCE
65% and above
|Postgraduate||Bachelor’s Degree||55% (52% from Delhi/Mumbai/Pune Universities) for ONE YEAR courses requiring a 2:2 degree.
60% (60% includes Delhi/Mumbai/Pune Universities) for ONE YEAR courses requiring a 2:1 degree.
60% (60% from Delhi/Mumbai/Pune Universities) for ALL TWO YEAR courses requiring a 2:2 or a 2:1 degree.
Please note that these are general scores for entry requirements. Requirements may vary depending on the course for which you are applying.
English Language Requirements for Northumbria University
Admissions to Northumbria require students to give proof of English language proficiency through standard English proficiency tests like GCSE English Language or a recognised equivalent. For international students, the following are acceptable English Language Tests and minimum score requirements:
|Level of Study||IELTS||PTE Academic|
|Undergraduate Programs||6.0 (Minimum component 5.5)||54 (Minimum component 51)|
|Postgraduate Taught Programmes||6.0 (Minimum component 5.5)||62 (Minimum component 51)|
|Postgraduate Research Programmes||6.0 (Minimum component 5.5)||62 (Minimum component 54)|
Other Accepted English Language Tests
- Trinity College Integrated Skills in English
- Language Cert International ESOL SELT
- PSI Skills for English
- European Baccalaureate
- International Baccalaureate Literature/Language and Literature
- Kaplan KIC/KEELT
- QAHE English Language Test
- GCSE/International GCSE English
- INTO English
- Cambridge Advanced English
In addition, the following Online Tests are also accepted for applications to Northumbria University:
- IELTS indicator
- TOEFL (IBT) online
- PTE Academic Online
Documents Required While Applying to Northumbria University
To complete applications to Northumbria University, students must produce the following documents:
- Completely filled application form
- Copy of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- English proficiency test scores
- Copy of GMAT/GRE test scores
- Self-attested X & XII marksheet and certificates
- 2 references, if applicable
- Passport/Identification Card
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Study Permit
Intakes at Northumbria University
Northumbria University offers program intakes, majorly during January or September. There is also an additional Intake in April/May, but only for select courses.
Important Dates for Northumbria University Admissions
The important deadlines for the September intake at Northumbria University are given below:
|UCAS Application Deadline||26 January|
|UCAS Extra Opens (if students don’t receive any offers, they can apply to a new course through UCAS Extra)||25 February|
|University Decision (for students who applied before 26 January)||19 May|
|Offer Acceptance Deadline||9 June|
|UCAS Final Deadline||30 June|
|Declaration of Results||18 August|
Tuition Fees for Studying at Northumbria University
The tuition fee for international/non-EU students enrolling in undergraduate and postgraduate students for the year 2022-2023 is as follows:
|Course Type||Tuition Fees|
|Undergraduate, both full-time and part-time||£8,990 – £16,500/year
(INR 7-14 lakhs)
|English Language and Qualifying Programmes||£1,600 – £6,500
(INR 1-5.5 lakhs)
|Foundation Programmes (Pathways)||£10,500 – £20,000 (full course fees)|
|Placement and Study Abroad Years||£1,850 – £8,250 (full course fees)|
|Masters for Arts, Design and Social Science Courses||£16,500 – £26,400|
|Masters for Business, Finance and Law Courses||£12,300 – £19,500|
|Masters for Computing, Engineering and Environment Courses||£16,500 – £19,500|
|Masters for Health, Education and Life Science Courses||£16,500 – £33,000|
|PhD and MPhil Programmes||£14,984 – £21,642 (full-time) and £8,990 – £12,985 (part-time)|
Accommodation at Northumbria University
The University offers 7 accommodation options for its students to choose from. The rent varies from £78 – £132 (~INR 7800-13,255) per week. In order to book your accommodation, you would first have to apply to Northumbria University and then, select their preferred accommodation option from the Student Login portal. Finally, students can complete their contract and make an advance payment.
Admission Scholarships at Northumbria University
Northumbria University is offering the following scholarships for the academic year 2022-2023:
|Northumbria Global Scholarship||Automatically considered while applying|
|Undergraduate Sanctuary Scholarship||8 April 2022|
|Northumbria Postgraduate Global Scholarship||Automatically considered while applying|
|Postgraduate Sanctuary Scholarship||8 April 2022|
|Northumbria University Alumni Discount||Automatically considered while applying|
Student Visa for Studying in UK
To study in London, UK, students have to apply for a General Student Visa [Tier 4]. You will become eligible for a study visa once you are enrolled in a full-time study course. The requirements include:
- Proof of identity
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
- Offer Letter from Northumbria University
- Documents for obtaining CAS
- Recent passport size photographs
- Proof of Funds
- Visa Fee Payment
- Additional requirements by the university
- After you’ve completed your Master’s, you would be allowed to stay in London if you hold a job offer with an annual salary of GBP 20800 (INR 20,79,349)
- You need to switch to a Tier-2 General Visa which lasts for 5 years post completion of studies.
- You can qualify for Permanent Residence provided your income is at least £35000 (INR 34,98,905)
The Northumbria University’s admissions deadline is fast approaching but there is still time to apply. Make sure you avail the 30-minutes of FREE counselling session from top experts at Leverage Edu at 1800572000, who will guide you through the entire application process.