In a world where education is the most precious asset that you can ever possess, there is a large portion of the population that is unable to afford even the basic elementary level education. It is really disheartening to see such brilliant and meritorious students dropping out of school just because they cannot afford higher studies with their family suffering a financial crisis. Catering to this issue, the Government of India has introduced the NMMS Scholarship for the profound young minds who have a strong will to study and continue higher studies.
This Blog Includes:
- What is NMMS Scholarship?
- NMMS Application Dates 2021
- NMMS Scholarship Amount Details 2021
- Eligibility Criteria
- Application Process of NMMS Scholarship
- Terms and Conditions
- NMMS Scholarship Selection Procedure
- Examination Pattern of the Selection Tests
- Declaration of Results for NMMS Scholarship
- NMMS Admit Card 2021
- Steps to Download NMMS Hall Ticket
|Name of the Scholarship||National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship (NMMS)|
|Scholarship Provider||Department of School Education and Literacyunder the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD)|
|Applicable for||Students belonging to economically weaker familiesand willing to continue ‘secondary level education’ starting from class 9th|
|Scholarship State||All India|
|Total Number of Scholarships||100,000|
|Scholarship Amount||₹12,000 per annum|
|Scholarship Closing Date||Varies with State [Nov to Jan 2021]|
|NMMS Result Date||January to March 2021|
|Contact Details||Phone: 0120-6619540
|Mode of Application||Online, National Scholarship Portal|
What is NMMS Scholarship?
National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship (NMMS) is a centrally sponsored scholarship scheme launched in 2008 by the Department of School Education and Literacy under the Ministry of Human Resource Development. The scheme has been designed to provide financial assistance to meritorious students belonging to an economically weaker background. It operates with an aim to encourage the underprivileged students to continue ‘secondary level education’ (from class 9th to 12th) through providing an annual scholarship of ₹12,000.
Also Read: LIC Scholarship
NMMS Application Dates 2021
Here are the last dates to apply for NMMS Scholarship 2021:
|State||Last Date to Apply|
|NMMS Odisha||November 20 to November 25, 2020|
|NMMS Himachal Pradesh||December 20, 2020|
|NMMS Haryana||November 20, 2020|
|NMMS Jharkhand||November 23, 2020|
|NMMS West Bengal||December 8, 2020|
|NMMS Telangana||December 9, 2020|
|NMMS Goa||November 9, 2020|
|NMMS Chattisgarh||October 24, 2020|
|NMMS Uttarakhand||November 1, 2020|
|NMMS Karnataka||December 10, 2020|
|NMMS Gujarat||December 16, 2020|
|NMMS Andhra Pradesh||December 12, 2020|
|NMMS Jammu Kashmir||January 11, 2021|
|NMMS Bihar||December 24, 2020|
Note: The application dates for NMMS Maharashtra are not announced yet, click here to visit the official website.
Take a look at the exam dates and other recent notifications on NMMS Scholarship 2021:
|Issue of Hall Ticket||December 29th, 2020 [might vary for exams before this date]|
|NMMS Jharkhand Exam||December 12th, 2020|
|NMMS Haryana & NMMS Punjab Exam||December 20th, 2020|
|NMMS West Bengal Exam||Jan 17, 2021|
|NMMS Karnataka Exam||Jan 24, 2021|
|NMMS Jammu and Kashmir||Jan 30, 2021|
|NMMS Himachal Pradesh & Telangana Exam||Feb 21, 2021|
|NMMS Maharashtra Exam||March 14th, 2021|
NMMS Scholarship Amount Details 2021
The National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship scheme is sponsored by the Central Government of India wherein around 1 lakh meritorious students from class IX to XII are awarded a scholarship for not more than 4 years. Each student is entitled to an annual amount of ₹12,000 which means a student will receive ₹1,000 per month.
There are some important conditions for students to fulfil in order to be eligible for the NMMS Scholarship. Each student needs to satisfy the following mandatory requirements:
- The student should be successfully promoted to class IX by securing at least 55% in class VIII examination (relaxable by 5% for students belonging to SC/ST).
- The student should be studying as a regular student in a Government, Government-aided or local body schools.
- The annual family income of the student should not exceed ₹1.5 lakh from all sources.
Application Process of NMMS Scholarship
We have formulated a step-wise procedure for students to apply and submit their application for the National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship. But, ensure that you have carefully read the above guidelines prior to application because any mistake may lead to cancellation.
Note: It is also advised to keep the scanned copies of all the relevant documents before you begin the application process:
- Register yourself as a new user on the National Scholarship Portal.
- Click on the ‘Central Schemes’ and select ‘Department of School Education and Literacy’.
- Now select ‘National Means Cum Merit Scholarship’ link and begin your application process.
- Fill in the required details like educational qualifications, Aadhaar card number, school enrolment number, state domicile and bank details.
- Upon successful registration, your application ID is generated which is used as a ‘Login ID’ on NSP and for future references.
- Student who is studying in class IX and X needs to apply under the ‘Pre-Matric scholarship’ category whereas those in class XI and XII can choose the category of ‘Post Matric scholarship’.
- Carefully fill details like name, date of birth, email ID, mobile number and identification details.
- Upload all the necessary documents and save as draft.
- Finally, submit the completed application form.
Terms and Conditions
Below is a list of important terms and conditions that applicants must keep in mind while applying for National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship:
- The student can only avail one scholarship under any scheme.
- The applicant is needed to have a bank account in any public sector bank or any scheduled bank with core banking facilities, preferably in SBI.
- The awardee should get a minimum of 60% marks in class X for continuing the scholarship (relaxable by 5% for students belonging to SC/ST) in next higher classes.
- SBI ensures that the scholarship is paid in one go immediately after getting the funds from the Ministry.
- Scholarship is not applicable for abroad studies.
For detailed information, you can click on the link
NMMS Scholarship Selection Procedure
To appear for the selection test for the award of scholarship, the student should have secured at least 55% in class VII examination (relaxable by 5% for students belonging to SC/ST). Every State/UT will conduct its own selection test to shortlist students for the award of this scholarship. The State-level Examination consists of the following two tests:
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT): It consists of topics from subjects including Science, Mathematics and Social Sciences taught in classes VII and VIII.
- Mental Aptitude Test (MAT): MAT examines the critical thinking and reasoning abilities of the students. The test consists of questions based on classification, numerical series, analogy, pattern perception, hidden figure, etc.
Examination Pattern of the Selection Tests
Here’s a detailed description of the examination pattern for both the selection tests conducted by each State/UT:
|Name of the Test||Nature of the Question||Maximum Marks||Number of Questions||Time Duration (in minutes)|
|MAT (Mental Aptitude Test)||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ’s)||90||90||90|
|SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test)||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ’s)||90||90||90|
Note: Students with disability will be given additional time, as applicable.
Declaration of Results for NMMS Scholarship
For a student to be shortlisted for the National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship scheme, the following conditions may apply:
- The students should clear both MAT and SAT with at least 40% marks in aggregate combined for both the tests. The cut off for SC/ST students will be 32% marks.
- Also, the student should have secured at least 55% in class VII examination (relaxable by 5% for students belonging to SC/ST). NMMS Result Date – January/February 2021
NMMS Admit Card 2021
The NMMS admit card is a very important document for the NMMS examination, and all the students must carry NMMS hall tickets during the examination. Students can download NMMS hall tickets from their respective NMMS state websites.
Steps to Download NMMS Hall Ticket
The students participating in the NMMS examinations must have a hard copy of the NMMS admit card released by the respective states before entering the examination hall. Steps for NMMS admit card download are given below.
- Visit the state-specific official NMMS website.
- Click on the NMMS admit card link available in the alert box.
- Enter the registration number, school name, and class & section.
- Download the NMMS admit card 2021 and take a copy of the admit card before the exam date.
Students who have registered themselves with the school’s help get their NMMS hall ticket from the school only. Every state has its pattern and dates to conduct its NMMS examination. Thus, the student has to download the NMMS exam admit card from their respective states’ official NMMS website.
|NMMS Admit Card||Admit Card Release Date||Status|
|NMMS Assam Admit Card||Available from the first week of January 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Arunachal Pradesh Admit Card||To be announced||Download Now|
|NMMS Bihar Admit Card||Available from the first week of January 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Maharashtra Admit Card||The first week of March 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Punjab Admit Card||To be announced||Download Now|
|NMMS Madhya Pradesh Admit Card||Available from the first week of January 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Chandigarh Admit Card||To be announced||Download Now|
|NMMS Odisha Admit Card||Available from 1st December 2020||Download Now|
|NMMS Delhi Admit Card||To be announced||Download Now|
|NMMS Gujarat Admit Card||Available from the second week of January 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Haryana Admit Card||The first week of December 2020||Download Now|
|NMMS Himachal Pradesh Admit Card||The first week of February 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Uttarakhand Admit Card||The first week of December 2020||Download Now|
|NMMS Chhattisgarh Admit Card||The first week of January 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Telangana Admit Card||To be announced||Download Now|
|NMMS Andhra Pradesh Admit Card||The first week of February 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Kerala Admit Card||The first week of December 2020||Download Now|
|NMMS West Bengal Admit Card||Available from 10th January 2021||Download Now|
|NMMS Jammu & Kashmir Admit Card||The first week of December 2020||Download Now|
In order to get the NMMS scholarship, a student should be a regular student of Class 9. A minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grades in the Class 8 examination. To continue receiving the scholarship in Class 11, the students must score a minimum of 60% marks in Class 10. To continue receiving the scholarship in Class 12, the students must pass Class 11 in the first attempt with a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grades.
National Means cum Merit Scholarship examination
A total of 100,000 are being selected every year for NMMS scholarship.
A total of 100,000 are being selected every year for NMMS scholarship.
No, there is no negative marking.
The students can apply online through the National Scholarship Portal.
The NMMS examination is conducted in two sections namely MAT (Mental Ability Test) and SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). While the MAT examines the reasoning ability of a student, the SAT examines the subject knowledge of the students. The duration of each test is 90 minutes in which the students have to attempt 90 multiple-choice questions.
Students can check the result online from the official website of the SCERT’s of their respective states by using the roll number mentioned on NMMS exam admit card.
We hope that you’ve become familiar with the easiest way to process your NMMS Scholarship application. If you’re planning to study abroad, you’d be looking for various scholarship options to support your career. Don’t worry, our experts at Leverage Edu can help you with everything you need to know about such scholarships.