The decision to venture on study abroad for higher education is followed by a list of essential documents that need to be prepared. After getting the CAS letter from your dream university next thing that comes in line is the student VISA application. A student VISA is an authorized document that allows you to pursue education, stay and work within the country for a given period of time. If your plan is to study in New Zealand for more than 3 months then you have to apply for a student visa. We have prepared an insightful blog to answer your queries regarding – How to get New Zealand Student VISA?
This Blog Includes:
New Zealand Student Visa: COVID Updates
- With the ongoing pandemic, new international students are not allowed to enter New Zealand for the upcoming fall intake-2021. The government of New Zealand is likely to keep the border closed and Immigration New Zealand is not processing new visa applications.
- For the academic 2021, many New Zealand universities have decided to offer courses in the distance and online mode to international students who wish to continue their education and benefit from the quality pedagogy.
- Applications for UG and PG programmes for a variety of courses at top universities are open right now and interested candidates can apply for the desired courses.
- Current international students residing in New Zealand are eligible for free public health care if they have COVID-19.
- International students are also eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine as part of New Zealand’s national vaccine programme.
Types of New Zealand Student VISAs
There are several types of New Zealand student VISAs. The table given below shows the most popular VISA options for Indian students:
|Fee Paying Student VISA||This VISA allows you to study in New Zealand for up to 4 years and also permits you to work during your stay.|
|Guardian of a Student Visitor VISA||Guardian or parents of the international candidates studying in New Zealand can avail this VISA to stay with their child. Duration of this VISA depends upon the student VISA of the child.|
|Exchange Student VISA||This VISA is for international exchange students. It is up to 4 years in duration.|
|MFAT Funded NZ Scholarship VISA||Candidates awarded with a scholarship administered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade can apply for this particular VISA type.|
|Student and Trainee Work VISA||Students who need to gain practical training in between their course duration can visit New Zealand to gain that particular knowledge. For example, candidates requiring medical or dental training can apply for this VISA type.|
|Vocational Trainee Student VISA||This VISA is for the candidates willing to seek professional training under a scheme or scholarship administered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.|
|Foreign Government Supported Student VISA||Candidates with a foreign government approved loan or scholarship can apply for this VISA.|
|Pathway Student VISA||This allows students to pursue 3 consecutive courses in New Zealand with a single VISA. Duration of this VISA is up to 5 years.|
Documents Required for New Zealand Student VISA
If you are planning to pursue a full-time course from New Zealand Universities then you have to apply for the student VISA to proceed. Documents are essential proof that you need to provide with your New Zealand student VISA application. It is advised to keep the documents ready beforehand to avoid last minute hassle. Some of such requirement is as follows:
- Every applicant requires to have a Valid travel document i.e a valid passport which must be valid for at least three months or beyond
- Student Visa Application Form (INZ 1012) needs to be filled and acknowledged by NZ authorities
- The final submission of your application requires you to pay a fee that varies upon your mode of submission. After successful payment collect the receipt and don’t forget to carry it at the time of interview
- Acceptance Letter from your host institution confirming your eligibility for a particular course
- You need to have an offer of acceptance from a New Zealand institute or university. The forms are usually issued after the tuition fees have been received
- Duly signed certificates like Medical clearance, Health security, and character your certificate are required to prove that you are a fit for travelling and staying abroad.
New Zealand Student Visa IELTS Requirements
For IELTS, international students must submit a minimum overall band score of 6 to be eligible for admissions in top universities as well as for the New Zealand student visa. IELTS requirements differ depending upon universities, courses as well as the level of degree.
New Zealand Student VISA Fees
The application fee for New Zealand student VISA differs as per the application mode. The table below shows the charges for both of them:
|Online Mode (Approx.)||Offline Mode (Approx.)|
|Immigration Costs for Application||₹ 15,000||₹ 15,300|
|Receiving centre fees||₹ 747||₹ 1,124|
|Total (Approx. )||₹ 15,747||₹ 16,424|
Note: These are the estimated values, the conversions are made as per the current rates of NZD and USD. To know the exact costs, get in touch with Leverage Edu experts.
Apply using a printed form (INZ 1012)
You can apply for the New Zealand Student VISA via the offline mode. To do the same you need to get the application form (INZ 1012) and start filling columns. Apart from that also ensure to apply at least 8 weeks before you plan your visit to New Zealand. You can find this form at the NZ embassy of your country or even online. If you apply using the printed application form, check where you need to forward your supporting documents. The VISA application gets processed within a time frame of 47 days. The embassy will contact you further to discuss the latter part.
Check out the list of F1 VISA Interview Questions!
Online Application Process
Application for New Zealand student VISA can also be made online. You can make a RealMe account and follow the mentioned steps to proceed with the VISA application. RealMe is a secured way to make your VISA applications. It is advised to keep the required documents ready in the correct size and format beforehand. The processing time for the VISA application is 47 days. This, you must plan your visit accordingly.
Top Universities in New Zealand
- University of Auckland
- University of Otago
- University of Canterbury
- Victoria University of Wellington
- University of Waikato
- Massey University
- Lincoln University
- Auckland University of Technology
Here are the requirements for New Zealand student visa, candidates need a valid passport,
Student Visa Application Form (INZ 1012) needs to be filled and acknowledged by NZ authorities, acceptance Letter from your host institution and certificates like Medical clearance, Health security, and character your certificate are required to prove that you are a fit for travelling and staying abroad.
The New Zealand student visa is 4 years
Yes, you can work part-time on a student visa in New Zealand.
Yes, students can apply for PR in New Zealand.
University of Auckland
University of Otago
University of Canterbury
Victoria University of Wellington
University of Waikato
Auckland University of Technology
These were some New Zealand student VISA essentials. The overall application process for the student VISA can be confusing. If you are stuck at any step of the application, do not worry, let Leverage Edu sort it out for you. Give us a call or book an e-meeting session with our experts to get your queries resolved in no time!