Also known as the Empire State, New York City is an arena for diverse cultures, languages, and social interests, which means you definitely won’t feel out of place if you are planning to study here. Especially if you are an international student, the city has a plethora of foreign communities and cultures which will never make you feel out of place. Being one of the largest private universities in this state, New York University is home to 10 undergraduate schools and 15 graduate schools including the Grossman School of Medicine. As one of the best medical schools in the US, it has an acceptance rate of only 2.2%. But just because it’s hard to get in doesn’t mean it’s impossible. In this article, we’re going to break it down for you step-by-step. After this introductory section, we’ll take a look at the programs NYU Medical School offers, so you can determine if it’s a good fit for you.
This Blog Includes:
Why study at New York University: School of Medicine?
With more than 50,000 students from every corner of the world living and studying across the campus, NYU is a mecca of culture with a diverse study body. Other than offering a large field of study and research opportunities, NYU’s location allows for many opportunities and internships. The university offers over 400 undergraduate and graduate courses to 50,000+ students. It also boasts of around 100 research centers and institutes that are renowned for their breakthroughs in the fields of medicine, policy, infrastructure, environment, and more. Out of these, the Grossman School of Medicine stands out, particularly because it ranks second in the nation for research work.
Grossman School of Medicine at New York University
The Grossman School of Medicine was established in 1841 and is home to many key advancements in medical education. This school facilitates the innovations of thousands of physicians and scientists who have been the frontrunners in shaping the course of medical history. The medical school offers a 5-year joint degree program, some of which can be optionally completed in 4 years. For further research, the School of Medicine offers Ph.D., MD/Ph.D., and postdoctoral programs at NYU Langone Health. With a long history of scientific breakthroughs such as mosquito transmission of yellow fever and the first vaccine against polio, the medical school has provided a rich list of imminent alumni to the world.
Courses Offered by the New York University: School of Medicine
In terms of postgraduate courses, the NYU Medical School offers the following courses:
- MD/MPA in Health Policy and Management (with the Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service)
- MD/MPH in Global Health
- MD/MS in Biomedical Informatics
- MD/MS in Translational Research
- MD/MBA in General Management (with the New York University Stern School of Business)
- MD/MA in Bioethics
The slate of professional development courses offered to NYU Grossman School of Medicine for doctorate changes each semester. In fall, their course catalog includes the following:
- Confident Communicators of Science Course
- Drug Development Course
- Individual Development Plan
- Fundamentals of Technology Commercialization Course
- Grant Writing Course
- Science Advocacy and Policy Course
- Scientists Training as Academic Researchers
- Scientific Integrity and Responsible Conduct in Research Course
- Writing for Publication Course
Also Read: Best Medical Colleges in USA
At NYU Grossman School of Medicine, medical students are well-rounded and versed in topics beyond the humanities and sciences. This diversity better positions them to solve healthcare’s biggest challenges. To be eligible, applicants must meet several criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada
- NYU also accepts applications from international students who have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada
- Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada with an averga GPA of 3.96 and 3.92, respectively.
- Premedical Coursework NYU Grossman School of Medicine does not have prerequisites. However, they prefer the following premedical courses: inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry with lab, general biology with lab, general physics with lab, general biology with lab, statistics, general biology with lab, general physicians with lab.
- Medical College Admission Test: The committee considers MCAT® scores only from three years prior to your expected matriculation date.
- Letters of Evaluation: Providing letters of evaluation is part of the NYU School of Medicine application process. They require a premedical committee appraisal letter or two letters from professors.
- Technical Standards and Criminal Background Checks: All candidates must meet the NYU Grossman School of Medicine’s technical standards, which define the physical, mental, emotional, and social abilities that support success in medical school.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine awards full-tuition medical school scholarships to all current and future matriculated MD students, regardless of merit or financial need, provided each student maintains satisfactory academic progress in accordance with NYU Grossman School of Medicine’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. In addition to NYU Grossman School of Medicine’s full-tuition scholarship and other merit-based scholarships, you may consider applying for a number of federal scholarship programs to help cover the cost of attendance such as:
- National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program
- Indian Health Service Health Professions Scholarship
- Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Programs
NYU Grossman School of Medicine Fees & Cost of Living
|Optional Health Insurance||₹516390||₹516390||₹516390|
|Miscellaneous (Laundry, clothing, personal, and others)||₹228517||₹249291||₹249291|
|Books and Study materials||₹29677||₹29677||₹29677|
To know your personalized cost of living while studying at New York University, Grossman School of Medicine, use our cost of living calculator for absolutely free!
Are you planning to pursue your further education in medical science from this reputed school of medicine? Our experts at Leverage Edu will help you turn your dreams into reality. Call 1800-572-000 and book your free counseling session today!