National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET), formerly known as the All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT), is an Indian entrance examination for students who want to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate medical courses in government and private colleges in India. All India NEET Entrance Exam is conducted by National Test Agency.
NEET Entrance Exam was earlier conducted in only two languages English and Hindi. After the revision by National Test Agency, Medical Council of India allowed students to take the exam in Tamil, Telugu, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Bengali and Assamese languages. Supreme Court of India has made clearing the NEET Entrance Exam mandatory for securing admission in every government and private college in India.
The exams which are conducted are of two categories:
- NEET-UG: Candidates who are aspiring to pursue Medical courses after class 12 are eligible to apply for NEET-UG.
- NEET-PG: Candidates who are studying medical science in their Undergraduate programs are eligible to apply for NEET-PG.
NEET Eligibility Criteria
Students who are interested in taking the NEET Exam 2023 should review the eligibility conditions before preparing and applying. The requirements to sit for the NEET 2023 exam are listed below:
- Indian nationals are eligible to apply. Students with OCI or NRI status are also welcome to submit an application.
- Students from the states of J&K, AP, and Telangana are only required to self-declare in order to be qualified to apply for one of the 15% quota seats available throughout India.
- All students who are citizens of India must have an Aadhaar number in order to apply for the NEET exam.
- Students must be at least 17 years old on or before December 31 of the admissions year to be eligible to take the NEET UG exam.
- There is a 25-year-old maximum age restriction. The maximum age restriction will have a five-year extension for students who are members of a reserved group.
- English, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology or Biotechnology are among the subjects that must be taken by students as a minimum.
- For SC/ST and OBC students, the qualifying test must be passed with a minimum score of 40%, and a minimum of 50% for general PH students.
NEET Entrance Exam Pattern and Structure
Candidates who are aspiring to study medical courses in their dream colleges and institutions must be prepared with all the information along with the preparation for the entrance exam.
Here are some useful details to keep you better informed about the NEET Entrance Exam – its pattern and syllabus:
Preparing for NEET would be insufficient without knowing about the structure of the question paper. The pattern comprises of details such as :
- Mode of paper
- Duration of the exam
- Question type: Multiple choice questions
- Marking scheme
NEET Entrance Exam is conducted across 154 cities at a single time throughout the country. NEET UG Exam 2023 will be conducted tentatively on May 2023. Being familiar with the exam pattern makes it easier for students to prepare for the exam.
- Exam mode: NEET Entrance Exam is a pen and paper exam. This exam is conducted offline in allotted centers across states. The candidates are given OMR sheets to mark the answers with a black and blue pointed pen.
- Question Type: NEET consists of multiple-choice questions
- Language: English, Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Oriya, Assamese, Bengali, and Kannada
- Duration: NEET Entrance Exam is a 3 hour-long exercise
- Total Number of Questions: NEET Entrance Exam consists of 180 questions each from different subjects.
- Marking Scheme: 4 marks for each question. Minus 1 for the wrong answer.
- Exam Section: The question consists of all types of questions from physics, chemistry, and biology.
- Physics has 45 questions of 180 marks
- Chemistry has 45 questions of 180 marks
- Biology consists of 90 questions of 360 marks
Total marks: 720
NEET Entrance Exam Guidelines for Choosing Language
- Candidates are required to mention their language in the application form
- Candidates who are opting for the language English will be getting their booklet in English only.
- Candidates who are opting for the language Hindi will be getting their booklet in English and Hindi.
- Candidates who are opting for the regional languages will be getting their booklets in the respective regional and English language.
NEET Entrance Exam sample papers are also available to students to prepare with to get a sense of the pattern. Sample papers consist of questions from each subject and questions from previous question papers. These are also really helpful for students for their preparation as they help students in clearing their concepts and increasing their knowledge of the subject.
Minimum Marks to Clear NEET Entrance Exam
NEET Entrance Exam requires candidates to secure 40% to qualify for getting admission in government and private colleges in India. Candidates from every category need to secure a minimum of 40% marks to pursue medical courses.
NTA posts notifications for the NEET Exam, and currently, only the exam schedule has been made public. It is anticipated to take place on 7th May 2023.
NEET 2023 will be conducted offline.
NEET 2023 will be conducted in thirteen languages.
A candidate’s path to enrol in their dream institution and follow their dream course is undoubtedly one that is both significant and nerve-wracking. We at Leverage Edu, help you reach your goals efficiently. It is important for us to make sure that we give you the best and provide you the right guidance from the best of the mentors. Get in touch with us and kick-start your career today!