Master of Science (MS) or MSc is a 1-2 year postgraduate degree in science or technology. The United Kingdom is one of the world’s leading education destinations that offer short-term masters of science to escalate the candidate’s career prospects. A degree from a UK university is recognised everywhere and prepares students for an international workplace and extensive research. Students can pursue courses in Archeology to Anthropology as well as Data Science, Supply Chain Management, Public Policy and Zoology. To help you fuel your career, here is an exclusive guide on how to pursue MS in London.
Green Signal to India’s Covaxin by the UK Government!
This Blog Includes:
- About MS in London
- Top Universities offering MS in London in 2022
- Cost of MS in London
- Popular Courses for MS in London
- Popular Intakes
- Eligibility Criteria
- How to Apply to Universities for MS
- Documents Required
- Student Visa for UK
- Scope of Studying MSc in London
About MS in London
- You can pursue masters in Aeronautics, Biomedicial engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Computer Science, Environmental Sciences, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Statistics, Life Sciences, Economics, Civil Engineering, Food Sciences, etc to name a few.
- These courses prepare students for potential careers as a Manager, Research Assistant, Laboratory Technician, Food and Drug Inspector, Biochemist, Chemist, Professor, Mathematician, Statistician, Physicist, Biologist, Environmental Scientist, etc.
- In London universities, the university’s academic year is divided into 2 semesters. Admission can be taken in two major intakes, January or September. There is also a May intake for select courses.
- This is a one year full-time course and most universities also provide a part-time 2 year in the same.
- In the UK, you can work part-time during your studies as well and apply for the famous post-study work visa that allows you to stay back in the country to gain valuable work experience.
Must Read: UK Study Work Visa
Top Universities offering MS in London in 2022
|University||QS World University Ranking 2022|
|Imperial College London||8|
|University College London (UCL)||10|
|King’s College London||31|
|The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)||49|
|Queen Mary University of London||114|
|City, University of London||350|
|Birkbeck, University of London||334|
|Royal Holloway University of London||308|
|Brunel University London||368|
|SOAS University of London||346|
|Goldsmiths, University of London||416|
|University of Westminster||651-700|
|University of East London (UEL)||801-1000|
|University of West London (UWL)||801-1000|
|London Metropolitan University (London MET)||801-1000|
|Middlesex University London||701-750|
|University of Greenwich||701-750|
|London South Bank University||751-800|
|University of Roehampton London||–|
|Regent’s University London||–|
Cost of MS in London
All universities provide Master of Science degrees in a variety of disciplines and subjects. The approximate cost of top universities in London is given below:
|University||Annual Approximate Tuition Fee|
|Imperial College London||£25000-39000(INR 2125653-3316020)|
|University College London (UCL)||10,000-25000(INR 850261-2125653)|
|King’s College London||£19075(INR 1622521)|
|The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)||£25000-30000(INR 2125653-2550784)|
|Queen Mary University of London||£22000-27000(INR 1870575-2295706)|
|City, University of London||£10000-27000(INR 850261-2295706)|
|Birkbeck, University of London||£15000-20000(INR 1275392-1700523)|
|Royal Holloway University of London||£12000-21000(INR 1020313-1785549)|
|Brunel University London||£18000-21000(INR 1530470-1785549)|
|SOAS University of London||£21000-22000(INR 1785549-1870575)|
|Goldsmiths, University of London||£14000-17000(INR 1190366-1445444)|
|University of Westminster||£13000-15000(INR -1275392|
|University of West London (UWL)||£12000-14000(INR 1020313-1190366)|
|London Metropolitan University (London MET)||£12000-14000(INR 1020313-1190366)|
|Middlesex University London||£14000-15000(INR -1275392|
|University of Greenwich||£15000-19000(INR 1275392|
|London South Bank University||from £14,900(INR 1266889)|
|University of Roehampton London||£15,352(INR 1305321)|
|Regent’s University London||£19,500-22,000(INR 1658010-1870575)|
Popular Courses for MS in London
- MSc in Physics
- MSc in Data Science
- MSc in Psychology
- MSc in Finance
- MSc in Business Analytics
- MSc in Social Work
- MSc in Nursing
- MSc in Sustainable Urbanism
- MSc in Bioinformatics
- MSc in Social and Public Communication
- MSc Sport and Exercise Nutrition
- MSc Physiotherapy
- MSc in Artificial Intelligence
- MSc in Accounting and Finance
- MSc in Actuarial Science
- MSc in Planning
Universities in London offer MS programs majorly during the January intake or September intake. There is also an additional Intake in April/May but only for select courses.
- A Bachelor’s degree with honours or equivalent with minimum GPA specified by the university.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA specified by the university
- English Language Proficiency (IELTS/ TOEFL/PTE/Duolingo English Test). Minimum scores specified by the university.
- GMAT/GRE score specified by the university.
- A background in a particular subject depending upon your choice of specialisation.
How to Apply to Universities for MS
International students applying to UK universities must follow a well-researched guide before starting their application process:
Step-1: Shortlist Courses and Universities
The primary step in the application process is to shortlist courses and universities according to your academic profile and preference. Students can shortlist courses and universities through AI-Course Finder and generate a list of universities where they are most likely to get through and plan their application process in advance.
Step-2: Know Your Deadlines
The next step is to know the exact deadlines of universities and colleges in the UK you are planning to apply to. International students have to take the application process well in advance (one year to 6 months before the actual deadline). This ensures that students can fulfill all the college requirements such as SOP, letters of recommendation, English proficiency tests, funding/scholarship options, and accommodation.
Step-3: Take Entrance Tests
The third step in the application process for UK universities requires students to take tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or GRE/GMAT/LNAT/BMAT/MAT (in some courses). In some universities, students have to submit scores for SAT or ACT exams. A new addition to English proficiency tests is the Duolingo Test which allows students to appear for the exam from the comfort of their homes and is accepted across the world.
Score High with Leverage Live and Land Your Dream University!
Step-4: Compile Your Documents
The next step is to compile all the required documents and test scores for the application process. This means students should start writing their SOPs, getting letters of recommendation from teachers and supervisors and arranging their financial statements along with other documents like test scorecards. With the COVID-19 pandemic, students must download their vaccine certificates and specify the administered vaccine for the application.
Step-5: Get Started with Your Application
Once you have all the documents in place, students can start the application process either directly or through portals like UCAS. Students applying to UK universities that accept direct applications can start by applying through the official university website. They have to select the courses, pay the application fees and start the online application process.
- Completely filled application form
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Copy of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE test scores
- Copy of GMAT/GRE test scores
- Self-attested X & XII marksheet and certificates
- 2 references, if applicable
- Passport/Identification Card
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of funds
Student Visa for UK
To study in London, UK, you have to apply for a General Student Visa [Tier 4].You will become eligible for a study visa once you are enrolled in a full-time study course. The requirements include:
- Proof of identity
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
- Offer letter from university
- Documents for obtaining CAS
- Recent passport size photographs
- Proof of funds
- Visa fee payment
- Additional requirements by the university
- After you’ve completed your masters, you would be allowed to stay in the global city if you hold a job offer with an annual salary of GBP 20800 (INR 2079349)
- You need to switch to a Tier 2 general visa which lasts for 5 years post completion of studies.
- You can qualify for permanent residence provided your income is at least £35000 (INR 3498905)
Scope of Studying MSc in London
After completing your MS you become eligible to follow the below-mentioned careers paths:
- Research Assistant
- Laboratory Technician
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Environmental Scientist
- Civil Engineer
Must Read: Best Universities for Finance in UK
The annual cost of pursuing MS in London is somewhere between 12 to 15 lakhs in tuition fees. Students are also eligible for scholarships, fellowships and education loans to support themselves.
UK is considered one of the best places to pursue masters of science. The country spends millions of dollars in terms of research and generates some of the highest paid jobs in the world for MS graduates. Students can pursue a range of courses for MS in London and other parts of UK.
Yes, MS in UK can be expensive for the average student. The average cost is somewhere between 12 to 15 laks per annum in tuition fees. However many universities offer scholarships and bursaries to support their students. Students in doctoral programs are granted stipend for producing research and studying PhD.
GRE is not a compulsory requirement in UK for international students. Many students apply to MS courses without giving the exam.
Yes, UK masters programs are highly regarded in India and can help students get high-income jobs in top companies.
Want to jumpstart your career with a MS course in London? Then, wait no more! Call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 and get started on your application process for the upcoming intake!