If you want to enter top management or consulting firm, the Master in Management Studies or MMS course is a good choice. It is particularly designed for those who have recently graduated and want to explore the field of Management further. It aims to develop management, leadership and strategic skills in young graduates to prepare them for a career in the Management industry. Let’s have a look at all the key essentials of an MMS course.
This Blog Includes:
- Master in Management Studies: Course Details
- About Master in Management Studies
- MMS Course: Entrance Exams
- Types of Master Management Studies Courses
- MMS Course: Eligibility Criteria
- Master In Management Studies: Semester Wise Syllabus
- MBA vs MMS
- Key Components of an MMS Course
- Major International Universities Offering MMS Courses
- Master In Management Studies: Top Colleges In India
- Top Job Profiles
Master in Management Studies: Course Details
|Course Name||master in management studies|
|MMS Full Form||master in management studies|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any discipline or equivalent from a recognized university.|
|Admission process||Entrance Exam based on their results.|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to INR 10,00,000|
|Course Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Top Recruiting companies||McKinsey & Company,JP Morgan ,Boston Consulting Group, Merrill Lynch & Co, Philips India Ltd., ITC, Bajaj Auto, Infosys etc.|
About Master in Management Studies
- The master of management studies (MMS) is a two-year postgraduate programme that consists of four semesters.
- Individuals who complete the course will have the opportunity to learn more about management. In comparison to any MBA student, their approach to business education is more theoretical.
- MMS guidelines provide specialty in business qualities like as marketing, consulting, and finance that you may be interested in.
- Students who complete a master’s degree in management studies have a profound understanding of management, and the scope of employment after finishing the course is so broad that one may easily construct a successful career in this subject.
- Recruiters are in high demand for graduates in this profession. Individuals might study or work overseas as a result of this programme.
- The cost of the degree varies by college; on average, government colleges charge roughly INR 50,000 per year, whereas private universities charge up to INR 10,00,000 per year.
MMS Course: Entrance Exams
Types of Master Management Studies Courses
Full-time and part-time study options are available for master’s in management studies. The course is offered in three formats: regular, distance learning, and online. The majority of colleges/universities offer the course full-time, although there are a few colleges that offer the master’s in management studies programme through distance education. Students can choose any form of learning that suits them best.
A master’s degree in management studies is often offered as a full-time programme, requiring students to physically attend all of the course’s lectures for the whole two-year period until their PG is finished. They’re also expected to complete all project and assignment work, as well as administer all internal evaluation examinations.
The master’s degree in management studies focuses on the comprehension and production of cutting-edge designs and systems. Students must present projects that are based on their study in the same topic.
Some well-known online platforms include Coursera, edX, Skillshare, and others. Many overseas institutions and colleges, in addition to online platforms, provide online courses. Candidates can choose from a variety of popular management-related online courses. It is extremely simple to enrol in these online courses; candidates only need to go to the official website of the course provider, choose their preferred course, and pay the costs.
In the table chart below, some of the most popular online management courses are listed:
|Course name||Platform||Average Fees|
|Leadership and Management Courses||Coursera||Free|
|Online Management & Leadership Courses||edX||Free|
|Essential Business Courses||Harvard University||NA|
|Executive Program in Management||Columbia Business School||NA|
|Management Courses||Udemy||INR 1,776|
MMS Course: Eligibility Criteria
Students interested in pursuing a master’s degree in management must complete the following basic requirements:
- Candidates interested in pursuing a Masters in Management degree must have finished their 10+2 education from a recognised board.
- To be eligible for the course, applicants must have received at least a 55 percent aggregate mark in their bachelor’s degree.
- Candidates must have earned a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university in any area.
- Candidates from reserved categories (ST/SC) are eligible for a 5% reduction in the minimum aggregate score.
- Candidates may also be needed to pass a national/state-level admission test or a university-level entrance exam.
Master In Management Studies: Semester Wise Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Operations Management||Marketing Management|
|Business Statistics||Operations Research|
|Managerial Economics||Financial Management|
|Perspective Management||Human Resource Management|
|Effective and Management Communication||Legal Aspects of Business and Taxation|
|Financial Accounting||Business Research Methods|
|Information Technology for Management||Analysis of Financial Statements|
|Negotiation and Selling Skills||Entrepreneurship Management|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|International Business||Project Management|
|Strategic Management||Final Project|
MBA vs MMS
A Master in Business Administration(MBA) course and an MMS course have commonalities as well as some important differences. Mentioned below are the major similarities and differences between these two courses:
- Both courses are offered at Faculties of Management or Business Schools. Typically, there is no difference in the institution that offers them however, some may be linked to other faculties and departments.
- An MBA course is geared towards mature professionals who have at least 3-5 years of industry experience. On the other hand, candidates pursuing an MMS course are generally young graduates or those with a cumulative one year experience.
- An MBA prepares students in advanced field-based topics while an MMS course is an overall study program in the fundamentals of Management.
- The eligibility requirements for an MBA are more competitive while the admission essentials for an MMS course are generally relaxed.
Also Read: MBA Career Options
Key Components of an MMS Course
Elaborated below are the essential components of an MMS course:
Foundations of Management
Students are provided with a basic introduction to the principles of Management and important concepts related to Management like Organisational Design, Business Environment, Business Communication, Business Ethics, etc.
- Introduction to Accounting
Successful management of a company begins from the evaluation of its performance. You will get to learn about the Basics of Profit and Loss Accounting, Bookkeeping, Cost Accounting, Management Accounting, etc.
A popular specialization choice among MMS course graduates, Marketing consists of various strategies related to Advertising, Brand Management, Consumer Behaviour, Pricing Strategies, Retailing, Brand Communication are discussed in detail.
Also Read: Masters in Marketing Management
- International Business
This subject familiarizes students with the international factors involved in managing a global business. Social Enterprise, Policy and Regulations, Emerging Economies, etc are some of the topics described in this subject.
- Human Resource Management
Human Resource Management is a subject that constitutes the essentials of managing and maintaining successful employee relations and diversity in the workforce. Subheads include Employee Welfare, Training and Development, Labour Regulations, Prevalent Human Resource Practices and a host of other HR topics.
Other key subjects in an MMS course include:
- Business Strategy
- Organisational Psychology
- Information Technology
Major International Universities Offering MMS Courses
Following is a country-wise list of some of the well-respected management programs offered around the world:
The United Kingdom houses some of the historic universities offering MMS courses. Besides providing students with quality education, cities like London, Dublin and Edinburgh provide great industry exposure to students along with opportunities to apply theoretical concepts during the training. Universities that offer an MMS course or related courses have been mentioned below:
- MSc Management, University of Manchester
- Masters in Management, London Business School
- Master’s in Management, London School of Economics and Political Science(LSE)
- MSc Management, Trinity College, Dublin
- Master’s in Management, University of Edinburgh
Also Read: University of Manchester Acceptance Rate
United States of America and Canada
Some of the world-class Management universities and business schools are situated in the United States. Following are the major universities offering MMS or related courses:
- MSc in Management, Stanford University
- MSc in Management and Systems, New York University
- MS Management, Boston University
- MS in Management, Arizona State University
Also Read: How to get into Stanford?
There are a number of destinations across Europe such as Spain, Germany, France where reputed Master programs in Management are offered. Financial hubs of Berlin, Paris and Madrid also attract international students. Some of the best universities in Europe and their offered course are mentioned below:
- MS Management, ESMT Business School
- Master in Management, HEC Paris
- Master in Management, ESIC Business & Marketing School
- Master in Management, IE Business School
Also Read: Study in Europe- Top Universities, Courses and More
One of the upcoming destinations to pursue an MMS course abroad, Australian universities are steadily emerging in the world rankings for Management. Some of the most preferred ones have been mentioned below:
- Master of Management (Advanced), Australian National University
- Master of Management, University of Sydney
- Master of Management, University of Melbourne
Also Read: A Reliable Guide to Study in Australia
Master In Management Studies: Top Colleges In India
|College/ University Name||Average Annual Fees|
|IIT Bombay||INR 4,36,600|
|ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education||INR 35,000|
|K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research||INR 3,32,855|
|SRM Institute of Technology||INR 3,48,250|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University||INR 1,92,300|
|Indian Institute of Science||INR 1,66,500|
|Sydenham Institute of Management Studies and Research and Entrepreneurship Education (SIMSREE)||INR 69,000|
|Indian institute of Science, Department of Management Studies||INR 1,66,500|
|Xavier Institute of Management and Research||INR 2,60,000|
Top Job Profiles
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Financial Analysts||INR 3,92,000 to INR 9,12,000|
|Brand Manager||INR 9,12,000|
|Project Manager||INR 4,90,000 to INR 15,00,000|
|Business Development Manager||INR 4,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
On the successful completion of the course, students get employed with government or private organizations. The following table shows the list of top recruiting companies that hire graduates in master in management studies.
|Bharti Airtel||Wipro Ltd.|
Hence, an MMS course equips with the fundamental skill set for becoming a management professional along with providing you exposure in this field. Amidst the competitive crowd applying to management courses at the top management schools and universities, it is important that your application gets highlighted. Leverage Edu can provide you with the right mentor to guide you in making a successful application and getting you shortlisted to your dream college.